New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Pen F and lens question

Herbc
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pen F and lens question

I just got a Pen F and went out with a 45mm and 12mm lens, shot some woodland scenes..
Looking at them on the monitor (shot RAW and converted to DNG in LR) the 12mm seem inferior to the 45 in terms of micro contrast (punchiness) and sharpness. The 12 is ok, but the 45 is really good. Is this what others have found?

Feb 26, 2017 at 04:41 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pen F and lens question

I don't see how you can really compare a wide angle with a short telephoto lens. Furthermore, even if the 45 is superior, what are you going to do when you want to compose a shot that needs a wide field of view, job backwards 50 yards to shoot the same scene with the 45 ?

Feb 26, 2017 at 05:08 PM
Herbc
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pen F and lens question

actually, in the case of the area I was working in, I could do exactly that, there was a lot of room.
That said, I have been a serious photographer in LF for many decades, and did have wide lenses that were the equal of longer ones, so I would expect a really good wide lens to at least show similar quality on a monitor; agreed it would not be as robust on big prints.
I have several Sony cameras, and the lenses for them, wide is easily as good as the longer ones.

Feb 26, 2017 at 06:16 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pen F and lens question

Perhaps post some example images of your comparison between the two ? Hard to talk about things like image quality without seeing what your seeing, or not seeing.

Feb 26, 2017 at 06:19 PM
barisaxer
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pen F and lens question

The 12 softens at f11 noticeably.At least mine does so f8 or wider for me

Feb 27, 2017 at 05:14 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password