New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Mounting camera on leveling base vs ball head

Ming-Tzu
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mounting camera on leveling base vs ball head

Purchased a few items from RRS recently, which included the BH-40 ball head, the universal leveling base for my Gitzo series 2 traveler tripod, another leveling base for my Gitzo series 3 systematic tripod, and the PG-02 gimbal setup.

The leveling bases would be used to make sure the PG-02 is level since there would be no other way to do so, outside of adjusting the legs. However, when the PG-02 was not in use and I just wanted to take a few snaps on the tripod, I was going to use the BH-40.

However, after further thought, is there a point to even having the ball head? Why can't I just mount the camera and/or lens foot to the leveling base for my long exposure shots vs. having to use the ball head? I know that the leveling bases have less flexibility as far as the degrees of rotation, but wondering how big of an issue that would be for long exposure landscapes. Out of all my years with a ball head, I don't remember having to adjust the ball head that drastically. But maybe I'm missing something that would make the ball head advantageous over just using the leveling base?

Feb 25, 2017 at 06:02 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mounting camera on leveling base vs ball head

a threaded 3/8-16 either lever or screw type clamp that will thread directly to you leveling base.
RRS ref version:B2-LR-II

on the BH40 and 55 leveling units neither one is limited on rotational freedom.

Edited on Feb 25, 2017 at 06:29 PM · View previous versions

Feb 25, 2017 at 06:23 PM
Ming-Tzu
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mounting camera on leveling base vs ball head

Yeah, I got the leveling bases with the clamp attached, so looks like I can just return the ball head and use the leveling base as my "defacto" ball head

Feb 25, 2017 at 06:28 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mounting camera on leveling base vs ball head

as you wish.

but really it would be your "defacto" half ball head.

Feb 25, 2017 at 06:34 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mounting camera on leveling base vs ball head

I shoot mountains and canyons as well as flat landscapes, but YMMV. As much as I like pans, I'd rather have more options with the single shots, which the BH-55 does very well. I also don't do multi-row pans with normal or wider lenses (non-collared) as much now with the 50 MP bodies. You have to assess all the components and their weight and then develop the most applicable setup.

EBH

Feb 25, 2017 at 06:50 PM
Ming-Tzu
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mounting camera on leveling base vs ball head

My thought process is as follows:

- With my traveler tripod, I would use the RRS universal leveling base for long exposure shots with my camera mounted directly on the base. Not sure if I'll ever need more than the 15 degrees of leveling for my needs, but if I do, I imagine the legs can just be adjusted a little? When I want to do single row or multi row panos, I would just use the PG-02.

- With my systematic tripod, it would be similar to the above, except I would be using the appropriate RRS leveling base rather than the universal one.

Still thinking about it. Thanks!

Feb 25, 2017 at 07:01 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mounting camera on leveling base vs ball head

The leveling base limits you to like about plus or minus 15 degrees of tilt side to side or front to back, while a ball head is a lot more. The ball head also has the pan base for easy panoramas after leveling, as well as the slot to tip the whole ball and camera over in to. with the slot and the ball adjustments, you can point the camera any direction, including straight up. If you can live with the limited motion, and live with slower adjustments, and live with no pan base, then you may want to go that way.

For me I will always want a ball head, even for mostly landscape shooting. If I was traveling light, I would use a ball head only, and for panos I would level the tripod and shoot using the ball head pan base, with camera tilt as required including doing multi row panos. Since you all ready own the PG-02, then your thinking may sway a bit away from a ball head.

I own a PG-02 but only very rarely use it for panos. I also use the RRS lever release system for fast change of what head is mounted on any given tripod between a ball head or a gimbal or a pano-gimbal like the PG-02, but that all adds weight and cost. So my light weight system is usually configured with a BH-40, and my heavier tripods are lever quick change for various heads, and then with or without a leveling base below.

Feb 25, 2017 at 07:16 PM
Ming-Tzu
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mounting camera on leveling base vs ball head

Thanks for the response!

I am going on a few backpacking trips this year, and I would think to bring the traveler tripod, the RRS universal leveling base, the PG-02, and the ball head. I would use the leveling base with the PG-02 for single and multi row panos if needed, and the leveling base and the ball head for other shots. However, I wondered if it made sense to mount the ball head on top of the leveling base since both do the same thing, except the ball head has more capacity for rotation. Plus, the BH-40 is about $400. I also have the same setup as you, with the clamps and dovetails to allow easy switch back and forth.

Feb 25, 2017 at 07:26 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mounting camera on leveling base vs ball head

I just screw things down.

Feb 25, 2017 at 07:38 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mounting camera on leveling base vs ball head

I think the problem with mounting to the leveling head is no way to compose the image as it will be mounted you would have to reposition the tripod to compose the image plus no tilting of camera

Feb 25, 2017 at 09:00 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mounting camera on leveling base vs ball head

Ming-Tzu wrote:
Thanks for the response!

I am going on a few backpacking trips this year, and I would think to bring the traveler tripod, the RRS universal leveling base, the PG-02, and the ball head. I would use the leveling base with the PG-02 for single and multi row panos if needed, and the leveling base and the ball head for other shots. However, I wondered if it made sense to mount the ball head on top of the leveling base since both do the same thing, except the ball head has more capacity for rotation. Plus, the BH-40 is about $400.
...Show more

I suggest leaving the heavy PG-02 pano setup behind for the backpacking trips and instead use a medium ball head w/slide on the leveling base for the panos.

When travelling heavier use the PG-02 on the larger tripods with leveling bases and swap the ball head when appropriate. You really don't need the ball head and pano setup together when you have a leveling base. Of course a leveling base is always useful for panos to allow for elevation and maintaining a level pan. Otherwise you need to keep adjusting the legs.

EBH

Feb 25, 2017 at 09:21 PM
Ming-Tzu
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Mounting camera on leveling base vs ball head

***update*** no need to respond. I think I understand the process of taking multi-row panoramas using the ball head. I just need to decide if I want to keep the PG-02 I am receiving from RRS on Tuesday. Also, need to see if I want to return the BH-40 and get the BH-55 for backpacking and home usage.

My thinking was more along the lines of using the PG-02 for multi-row panos while on vacation? I guess I can use the ball head to do the multi row pano shots in a pinch? How does that work?

Also, debating between returning my BH-40 and going "full in" with the BH-55 for both travel and home usage. The price difference is only $75, and from what I remember, I don't remember it being THAT bad compared to the BH-40 in terms of size and weight. Sure, it's probably overkill for my series 2 traveler tripod but already have the RRS leveling base on there, so adding the ball head shouldn't make too much of a difference, I don't think. Plus. getting the BH-55 sort of future proofs my ball head lol

EB-1 wrote:
I suggest leaving the heavy PG-02 pano setup behind for the backpacking trips and instead use a medium ball head w/slide on the leveling base for the panos.

When travelling heavier use the PG-02 on the larger tripods with leveling bases and swap the ball head when appropriate. You really don't need the ball head and pano setup together when you have a leveling base. Of course a leveling base is always useful for panos to allow for elevation and maintaining a level pan. Otherwise you need to keep adjusting the legs.

EBH

Edited on Feb 26, 2017 at 02:57 PM · View previous versions

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:10 PM
Ming-Tzu
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Mounting camera on leveling base vs ball head

Roland W wrote:
For me I will always want a ball head, even for mostly landscape shooting. If I was traveling light, I would use a ball head only, and for panos I would level the tripod and shoot using the ball head pan base, with camera tilt as required including doing multi row panos. Since you all ready own the PG-02, then your thinking may sway a bit away from a ball head.

***update*** no need to respond. Went through your responses in older threads and the decision is really on me to determine if I want to do the multi rows using the ball head or keep my PG-02.

For backpacking needs, I will most likely use the ball head and nodal slide.

For local and home usage, I may want to keep the PG-02 since it doubles as a gimbal for my 500mm lens. But then, I wonder how often I'll use the gimbal anyway.

Decisions, decisions lol

Thanks for the reply! With regards to using the ball head for multi row panorama shots, what is the process?

1) Level the tripod using the leveling base
2) Mount the ball head on top of the leveling base, and the nodal slide on top of that
3) Make sure the NPP is achieved with the nodal slide

- Once I level the tripod with the leveling base, do I have to also level the camera again with the built-in camera level or using the ball head spirit?

- Can I simply tilt the ball head up and down to take multi row panorama shots? If yes, the way I'm picturing it, tilting the ball head up and down for the different rows would cause the in-camera level and ball head spirit level to not be on level ground.

- If one can take multi row panorama shots using the ball head, what's the point of the PG-02? Simply to make it more precise with the rows? And for dual use as a gimbal? Just trying to see if it makes sense for me to keep or return to RSS.

Thanks for the info and apologies for being annoying with all these beginner questions!!

Feb 26, 2017 at 02:33 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Mounting camera on leveling base vs ball head

If you have fairly small cameras and use Acratech ballheads they come with leveling functionality built in, so you don't need a leveling base.

Feb 26, 2017 at 10:35 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Mounting camera on leveling base vs ball head

peter_n wrote:
If you have fairly small cameras and use Acratech ballheads they come with leveling functionality built in, so you don't need a leveling base.

I use a Feisol panning base on an Acratech leveling head for my larger gear.

For smaller gear, I recently assembled a DIY leveling pano head by attaching my inverted RRS BH-25 head to an A-S plate mounted on the tripod platform, and with a Hejnar panning clamp mounted on top (bottom of the BH-25). Also, I stuck a 3-axis level-bubble block to a small A-S plate, that I use to level the top of the rig, before attaching the camera.

© jcolwell 2017

Small leveling pano head from inverted RRS BH-25 and Hejnar panning clamp

Feb 27, 2017 at 08:36 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Mounting camera on leveling base vs ball head

jcolwell wrote:

That's an inventive rig you have there! I didn't know that Acratech heads can support larger cameras in the leveling orientation since all of their heads have a 38mm diameter ball, even the smallest ones. Since I often clamber around big rocks on vacations, its also great to have a much larger range of motion with a ballhead than the 10-15° that you normally get with a regular leveling base.

Feb 27, 2017 at 11:07 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Mounting camera on leveling base vs ball head

jcolwell wrote:

peter_n wrote:
That's an inventive rig you have there! I didn't know that Acratech heads can support larger cameras in the leveling orientation since all of their heads have a 38mm diameter ball, even the smallest ones. Since I often clamber around big rocks on vacations, its also great to have a much larger range of motion with a ballhead than the 10-15° that you normally get with a regular leveling base.

"Acratech leveling base" is a better description.

Feb 27, 2017 at 11:13 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Mounting camera on leveling base vs ball head

jcolwell wrote:
"Acratech leveling base" is a better description.

OK. That's different.

Feb 27, 2017 at 02:04 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Mounting camera on leveling base vs ball head

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/431861-REG/Acratech_1117_Leveling_Base.html

Feb 27, 2017 at 02:27 PM
Andre Y
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Mounting camera on leveling base vs ball head

The PG-02 is my standard landscape tripod head and I don't usually do panos. It's easier to compose and alter your composition after leveling the gimbal and then using the gimbal's two axes of rotation to fine tune my framing.

I think if you were to use the leveling base as your ballhead, it'd be harder to make fine adjustments than a standard ballhead.

Feb 27, 2017 at 03:33 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.