New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Sony FF to m4/3?

ajamils
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony FF to m4/3?

Has anyone migrated (downgraded?) from Sony FF (A7II or A7rII) to E-M1.2 or other recent m4/3 cameras? If so, how is your experience and do you feel like pictures are "flat" compared to FF?

Feb 25, 2017 at 04:01 AM
k-h.a.w
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony FF to m4/3?

I use both A7r.2 and E-M1.2 side by side.
They are both fine cameras and complement each other well.
Both have excellent image qualities.
The E-M1.2 excels for tele scenarios with its superior automatic focusing and top notch lenses.
The A7r.2 excels for very high ISO scenarios and tolerates more extensive cropping.
I wouldn't want to give up either one.

K-H.

Feb 25, 2017 at 04:21 AM
ajamils
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony FF to m4/3?

How do you find the image quality difference (in good light)?

k-h.a.w wrote:
I use both A7r.2 and E-M1.2 side by side.
They are both fine cameras and complement each other well.
Both have excellent image qualities.
The E-M1.2 excels for tele scenarios with its superior automatic focusing and top notch lenses.
The A7r.2 excels for very high ISO scenarios and tolerates more extensive cropping.
I wouldn't want to give up either one.

K-H.

Feb 25, 2017 at 04:25 AM
k-h.a.w
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony FF to m4/3?

Both are excellent, really!
The E-M1.2 sensor is a huge step forward relative to all other current m43 cameras.
I feel comfortable using up to ISO 6400 with the E-M1.2.
The E-M1.2 also has 2 processors, one dedicated to support AF. It shows.
It's a game changer for me.

Of course, I am still looking forward to what Sony will come up with next.
However, the E-M1.2 is my preferred solution for birding and such.
Sony is really not competive in that area with the A7r.2.

My favorite Olympus tele lenses are the SHG 150/2 and the 300/4 Pro.
Both focus snap-like on the E-M1.2.

K-H.

Feb 25, 2017 at 04:55 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony FF to m4/3?

I came from a Nikon D700 to m43 about five years ago. The past years I've been thinking "am I missing something with the larger sensor that I used to have?".
So last summer I added the Sony A7 to my kit, the first A7 mind you, not Mark II.

The sensor is better, no doubt about it and I don't expect anyone will say otherwise. For long exposures, ranging from about a minute and longer, there is big difference regarding color noise but this is also somewhat eliminated by long exposure noise reduction on the E-M1 for example.

In good light, there isn't much quality difference. I know people will tell me otherwise here by pixel peeping at 100% or 200% and clearly show there is noise in the m43 shot where there is non in the A7 and it is true. However, the noise there is doesn't show up on any of my prints so it's a mute point. I don't care if I can find noise by zooming in a gazilion times.

I sold my A7 a week ago btw, I used it mainly with old MF lenses (Nikon 50mm ai F1.2 mostly) but I felt I didn't use the camera enough.

The pictures from m43 ARE NOT FLAT. Many people use a m43 camera, slap a cheapo lens on it and say it produces flat pictures. So does a large sensor camera with a boring lens. Simple as that.
Use good lenses and you get good results. And m43 has some of the best lenses out there. Depending on the money you have to spend that is.

Let's see if my links work.

?format=750w

?format=1500w

First shot is with Om-D E-M1 and the Olympus 40-150 F2.8 PRO

Second shot is the same camera but not quite sure which lens. (I don't have the exif on this computer). Could be either the 40-150 F2.8 or the 45mm F1.8.

Feb 25, 2017 at 08:25 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony FF to m4/3?

Ps. Not TRYING to make you change but trying to answer your questions

Also, what are you shooting? What makes you want to switch? If it's simply GAS then don't switch, it never helps no matter what system one changes to or from

Feb 25, 2017 at 08:28 AM
gary0319
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony FF to m4/3?

Wilbus wrote:
I came from a Nikon D700 to m43 about five years ago. The past years I've been thinking "am I missing something with the larger sensor that I used to have?".
So last summer I added the Sony A7 to my kit, the first A7 mind you, not Mark II.

The sensor is better, no doubt about it and I don't expect anyone will say otherwise. For long exposures, ranging from about a minute and longer, there is big difference regarding color noise but this is also somewhat eliminated by long exposure noise reduction on the E-M1 for example.

In good
...Show more

Great images, thanks for sharing.
If anyone wants to know why to shoot Black and White, that second image should be all that is needed to convince them. Wonderful

Feb 25, 2017 at 09:18 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony FF to m4/3?

All depends what your after really.... what combination of reach, cost, size/weight, and IQ do you want/need ?

I picked up a GX8 (for the 3rd time lol) because I wanted to use it with the 100-400 Leica zoom.

I had both Sony and Fuji systems but found lenses like the 160-500 Tamron or the 100-400 Fuji just too big/heavy for my needs. The 100-400 gives 800mm equiv reach and weights 2lbs.

Is the IQ as good ? Not quite, but its still quite nice and the lens is so easy to carry around.

I could have better quality and gear I don't want to haul around or I could have a stop down in quality but something I'll actually use.

Feb 25, 2017 at 04:47 PM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony FF to m4/3?

I have the original A7 and the E-M1.2.

The A7 files are beautiful, but I think the body itself is a bit clunky. Not horrible, but certainly not a refined user experience.

The E-M1.2 might be the best camera I've ever used from a shooting experience standpoint. I like it better than the 1 series Canons I owned in the past, it's so much camera packed into a small body. The files are very nice, I wouldn't describe them as flat at all.

Am I going to ditch the A7? Nope, because sometimes I want the fast glass on FF look. That said, the A7 is going to be sitting around a lot more while I shoot with my E-M1.

Feb 26, 2017 at 03:07 AM
Wilbus
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony FF to m4/3?

gary0319 wrote:
Great images, thanks for sharing.
If anyone wants to know why to shoot Black and White, that second image should be all that is needed to convince them. Wonderful

Thank you so much

Feb 26, 2017 at 08:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ajamils
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony FF to m4/3?

Thank you for all the replies. I guess, I am trying to convince myself that I need FF but looking at the output from both cameras (for everyday usage), there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference (except maybe in high ISO and better DR, if you are really pushing it). On the flip side, m4/3 has a wealth of lenses that Sony doesn't (but getting there slowly and expensively )

Feb 26, 2017 at 07:18 PM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony FF to m4/3?

With regards to dynamic range, I'm not sure how big the advantage is with my Sony. The Sony can seemingly recover shadow details forever, but the E-M1 pulls down highlights better than I expected so you have to treat the files differently.

m4/3 lenses are probably the real treasure of the system. You can get small, high quality lenses for not a lot of money. If you can try the system, I'd certainly recommend giving it a shot, I think you'll be impressed.

Feb 27, 2017 at 03:17 AM
k-h.a.w
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony FF to m4/3?

I agree the m43 lenses being a treasure.
I also would include the E-M1.2 as a game changer.

K-H.

Feb 27, 2017 at 03:24 AM
savingspaces
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony FF to m4/3?

ajamils wrote:
Has anyone migrated (downgraded?) from Sony FF (A7II or A7rII) to E-M1.2 or other recent m4/3 cameras? If so, how is your experience and do you feel like pictures are "flat" compared to FF?

Hi There! I have neither camera, but cameras don't take pictures. People do. If you still have any doubts about M4/3, Please search out BobbyTan's and Kwalsh's posts. Both members are exceptional visionaries and are able to get the best out of any format, including M4/3. So if your own results are not good enough, it is most likely due to the skull behind the camera.

As always, anyone can easily find flat snaps from the best FF gear AND run into work of art from M4/3 the same day. The very same is also true in reverse.

Feb 28, 2017 at 05:26 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sony FF to m4/3?

Diego Martin aka dukenukem is a true Olympus Visionary:

http://www.diegogm.es/Galeria

Feb 28, 2017 at 06:42 AM
k-h.a.w
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sony FF to m4/3?

E-M1.2 + SHG 300/2.8 @ f/2.8, ISO 200, 1/2,500s, S-AF Silent low, handheld, IBIS.

Feb 28, 2017 at 08:07 AM
ajamils
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sony FF to m4/3?

Beautiful picture.

Mar 02, 2017 at 01:00 AM
k-h.a.w
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sony FF to m4/3?

Thank you.

E-M1.2 + 300/2.8 SHG @ f/5.6, ISO 500, 1/1,000s.

K-H.

Mar 02, 2017 at 08:03 AM
k-h.a.w
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sony FF to m4/3?

E-M1.2 + 300/4 Pro @ f/5.6, ISO 200, 1/2,000s.

IMHO it would be a challenge for me to get some of these images with my A7r.2 gear.

K-H.

Mar 02, 2017 at 08:11 AM
ajamils
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sony FF to m4/3?

savingspaces wrote:
Hi There! I have neither camera, but cameras don't take pictures. People do. If you still have any doubts about M4/3, Please search out BobbyTan's and Kwalsh's posts. Both members are exceptional visionaries and are able to get the best out of any format, including M4/3. So if your own results are not good enough, it is most likely due to the skull behind the camera.

As always, anyone can easily find flat snaps from the best FF gear AND run into work of art from M4/3 the same day. The very same is also true in reverse.

Yes, that's a good statement that gets thrown around a lot on these forums but for people who aren't "great" photographers, they need all the help that they can get and having a good camera helps a lot

Mar 02, 2017 at 08:12 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password