New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Leica M lenses on A7rII

Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leica M lenses on A7rII

I took some shots today for a young couple today for their "save the date" announcement for their wedding in October. I used my Leica M lenses for the shoot and especially for such portraits I am growing to like the lenses more and more. Below are some with the 50cron AA

Edited on Feb 24, 2017 at 02:16 AM · View previous versions

Feb 23, 2017 at 09:50 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leica M lenses on A7rII

Below are a few with the 28 lux ASPH

Feb 23, 2017 at 09:51 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leica M lenses on A7rII

And a few with the 90 cron AA

Feb 23, 2017 at 09:52 PM
joakim
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leica M lenses on A7rII

Thanks for posting, all of the lenses performed very well. I wouldn't mind owning either of those lenses

Feb 24, 2017 at 01:06 AM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leica M lenses on A7rII

Fine pics. All great lenses that work well on the Sony. Curious for a mission like this did you use TAP or did you manually focus?

Feb 24, 2017 at 02:06 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Leica M lenses on A7rII

Luvwine wrote:
Fine pics. All great lenses that work well on the Sony. Curious for a mission like this did you use TAP or did you manually focus?

I manually focussed which was quite easy for such posed/semi-posed portraits. Almost all the shots were in focus except for a few with strong back lighting and then I missed only 3 or 4 just slightly.

Feb 24, 2017 at 02:21 AM
genji
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Leica M lenses on A7rII

Steve, thank you so much for posting these warm, expressive portraits of a lovely couple. For me, the 28/50/90 trio represents the ideal lens set and your photographs perfectly illustrate how well this (relatively closely-spaced) trio can be employed to produce radically different spatial perspectives (something that many users of zoom lenses struggle to understand). The icing on the cake is that you've used three superb Leica lenses. And on an A7R II no less! The subject isolation you've achieved with the 28 Lux is amazing. Were those images made with the lens at f/1.4?

At the risk of stirring up controversy with the Leica M users, would it be possible for you to offer an assessment of the performance of these lenses on the A7R II versus (say) on the M240? Using 100% as the baseline for how the lens performs on an M240, something like: the XXmm lens wide open on the A7R II is YY% and three stops down is ZZ%, compared to how it is on the M240. Please feel free to decline this request.

Feb 24, 2017 at 05:47 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Leica M lenses on A7rII

genji wrote:
Steve, thank you so much for posting these warm, expressive portraits of a lovely couple. For me, the 28/50/90 trio represents the ideal lens set and your photographs perfectly illustrate how well this (relatively closely-spaced) trio can be employed to produce radically different spatial perspectives (something that many users of zoom lenses struggle to understand). The icing on the cake is that you've used three superb Leica lenses. And on an A7R II no less! The subject isolation you've achieved with the 28 Lux is amazing. Were those images made with the lens at f/1.4?

At the risk of stirring up
...Show more

Thanks genji for the kind comments. I do very much like the 28/50/90 combination and these lenses in particular. Most of the 28 lux shots were at f/1.7, but I think some might have been wide open. I don't have an M240, but I do have an M10 ordered. When I get it I will do some comparisons with the A7rII, but I don't expect huge differences between the cameras. Awhile back I did do a comparison between the 28 lux and the 28 Otus on the A7rII and although the Otus was a bit better I was surprised at how close the results were, so I don't think there is much room for the A7rII to get much better on the M10. I would expect the 50 cron AA and the 90 cron AA to be even closer on the two cameras. They both perform so well on the A7rII I can't see how they would be much better on the M10.

That said I would have liked to have the M10 when I did this shoot. Although I could manual focus just fine, I felt I had to use magnification for most of the shots which is a little slow. The couple was patient, so it was not a big deal, but I think I would have preferred using the rangefinder. I think for these types of shots the biggest difference between the two cameras will not be the performance of the lenses on the cameras, which may favour the M10 (but as I have been saying probably not by much) or the performance of the sensor, which may favour the A7rII (but the M10 sensor would be much more than adequate for these shots), but rather the shooting experience itself. I expect I will find that there is a pretty big difference between using a rangefinder and using an EVF. They are two very different ways to shoot and although the EVF was fine here, I suspect the rangefinder would created a much better shooting experience.

Feb 24, 2017 at 08:48 AM
genji
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Leica M lenses on A7rII

Thanks for your comprehensive reply. I now look forward to seeing some comparisons of the same lenses on both M10 and A7rII. I frequently have to use magnification with M and LTM lenses on the A7rII, which is fine for static subjects but frustrating for more dynamic ones. The TAP overcomes this limitation to quite a degree but I agree that a rangefinder is clearly superior for these kinds of situations. I remain impressed by the consistent look afforded by the three lenses. Even if the 28 Lux's bokeh is a tiny bit harsher, the subject separation more than compensates.

Feb 26, 2017 at 06:44 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.