New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Sigma 12-24 plays well against my ef11-24

keith_cooper
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma 12-24 plays well against my ef11-24

I just had a chance to test the Sigma 12-24 f4 on my 5Ds - particularly interesting since I have the rather more expensive Canon EF11-24.

Anyway, at the wider end it was a good match to the EF11-24. The 11-24 wins out, but as to how much extra you want to pay for that 1mm from 12 to 11 is an interesting question ;-)

I've some notes from using the 12-24 if anyone is curious...

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/sigma-12-24mm-f4-dg-hsm-art-review/

Feb 23, 2017 at 11:03 PM
AJSJones
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma 12-24 plays well against my ef11-24

Thanks for that - bodes well for a future purchase for my 5DsR for those times when the 17TSE doesn't cut it...

Feb 23, 2017 at 11:38 PM
mogud
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma 12-24 plays well against my ef11-24

I read TDP's review of the Sigma with interest because I was contemplating a ultra wide. While the Sigma was close to the 11-24, the Canon did win out in most all comparisons.

TDP did mention a focus shift issue which surprised me. The Sigma, as disussed in the TDP review, doesn't focus wide open like the Canon lenses. When the Sigma is stopped down, focus shift can happen. Is this a deal breaker for me? Likely, even though the price difference is pretty sizeable. For some, just knowing how the lens works and the big price difference might not matter.

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:46 AM
keith_cooper
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma 12-24 plays well against my ef11-24

Try as I might I couldn't find obvious focus problems ;-)

The TS-E17 is still my go to lens for architectural work, which is what pays the bills...

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:51 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

keith_cooper
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma 12-24 plays well against my ef11-24

Using the 12-24 for architecture....

After the review, Sigma got back to me and asked about using the lens specifically for architectural work.

Actually an interesting challenge, once you decide that you don't want shots of buildings leaning backwards ;-) Hopefully of interest for anyone looking to really push the 'ultra-wide'...

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/architecture-sigma-12-24mm/

There's a gallery of 63 hi-res images at the end...

Sep 20, 2017 at 07:05 PM
_manny_

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma 12-24 plays well against my ef11-24

Thanks Keith for the links you put up - really interesting to read.

Funny to think not that long ago everyone complained about the options for wide angle photography on Canon with people even adapting Nikon's 14-24. It seems now we are rather spoilt for choice, not just from Canon but also Tamron and Sigma.

Sep 22, 2017 at 01:26 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma 12-24 plays well against my ef11-24

mogud wrote:
TDP did mention a focus shift issue which surprised me. The Sigma, as disussed in the TDP review, doesn't focus wide open like the Canon lenses. When the Sigma is stopped down, focus shift can happen.

Isn't focusing wide-open and then stopping down a lens with focus shift what produces focus inaccuracies? Photozone.de does a good example of it, and it's really only an issue with lenses that can produce shallow depth of field.

It should be easy to eliminate by focusing stopped down, but I can see certain uses for this lens, such as event photography, where shooting near wide open (but not at!) at closer focus distances could be an issue.

Sep 22, 2017 at 03:48 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma 12-24 plays well against my ef11-24

I enjoyed looking at them. The town has grown in the 27 years since I was briefly there.

Sep 22, 2017 at 03:56 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password