FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Big Trip out west Part 1 (Capitol Reef) Edits

RMC cichlids
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Big Trip out west Part 1 (Capitol Reef) Edits

Been ages since I got around to posting any photos. I still have a lot of photos to process over the last couple years but I figured I would start with the most recent. I took a big trip out west this past December/January, hit a few places I've been too and a lot I've not been to until this trip. I hit a few parks in Utah then Death Valley before hitting the Bay area for Christmas and New Year holidays. This is part 1 a few sunrise and sunset shots.

Hope you and enjoy and comments and critique are very welcome. Especially the critique part as it's been awhile since I processed any photos and I'm on a new to me monitor and also this is a new to me Fuji Xt1 vs my Canon gear. From what I've seen the Fuji is a nice little camera. Not sure if I'm quite ready to dump my Canon gear but this trip gave me a great idea how nice it is to shoot with the Fuji.

DSCF2514 by KJRphotoz, on Flickr

DSCF2551 by KJRphotoz, on Flickr

DSCF2573 by KJRphotoz, on Flickr

DSCF2655 by KJRphotoz, on Flickr

Edited on Feb 26, 2017 at 04:23 PM · View previous versions

Feb 23, 2017 at 05:58 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Big Trip out west Part 1 (Capitol Reef) Edits

I especially like 2 and 4, did you spend the night out there? I spent the night at the Temples area in March and it was very cold.

Feb 23, 2017 at 06:04 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Big Trip out west Part 1 (Capitol Reef) Edits

Quite the spread of colors & light.
I pick 1 & 2.

Dan

Feb 23, 2017 at 06:42 PM
BrigH

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Big Trip out west Part 1 (Capitol Reef) Edits

Nice work. I found this exact shot to be hard to frame. You did a better job with the light than I did - I was too focused on the Temples themselves. What an awesome campsite and its remote/dark enough for the stars to really put on a show. 4&6 are my personal choices.

Feb 23, 2017 at 10:06 PM
junglialoh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Big Trip out west Part 1 (Capitol Reef) Edits

very nice set of landscape for the same spot in different perspective view

Feb 24, 2017 at 06:29 AM
junglialoh
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Big Trip out west Part 1 (Capitol Reef) Edits

very nice set of landscape for the same spot in different perspective view
each image present its own merit

Feb 24, 2017 at 06:35 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Big Trip out west Part 1 (Capitol Reef) Edits

Amazing series. My favorite is the second and as a feedback, I would crop the top a tad and add a little be more sharpening to bring out more micro-detail.
Congrats,
Fred

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:08 PM
RMC cichlids
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Big Trip out west Part 1 (Capitol Reef) Edits

Thanks everyone, Ben I did indeed spend the night out there. 2 nights to be exact. Both nights we're down to 0 Degrees and windy, so I did not venture out for any night time photography. My campsite was only a 5min walk from where these pictures were taken but I did drive the entire park over the 2 days. I think I came across maybe 3 vehicles that entire trip. So while going in December can be brutally cold. It has it's rewards of very few people, it was also like this when I was in Escalante.

Fred thank you for the nice feedback, I think I might need to add some sharpening on export for the web as these photos look a lot sharper in Lightroom. I like number 1 a lot but only because in lightroom the temples are not as hot as they are in jpg. Not sure why that happens on export so I'll have to investigate. How do the colors look to everyone? did I over saturate? On my end they look good but that's on a monitor that I just bought, a used Dell U3011. I've been using that color profile on export from LR because if I export normally the colors at least in windows 10 photos are way off.

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:45 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Big Trip out west Part 1 (Capitol Reef) Edits

I kind of like the second one, but they are all similar images of the same place made at different times. I'd prefer you to choose the one you like best or onethat expresses your experience of the place and just show that one.

Feb 24, 2017 at 03:58 PM
RMC cichlids
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Big Trip out west Part 1 (Capitol Reef) Edits

I deleted a couple and cropped # 2 a tad as suggested by Fred. I also added a little sharpness for web on export so hope that helps a little.

Feb 26, 2017 at 04:26 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Big Trip out west Part 1 (Capitol Reef) Edits

Really like the series. For some reason I am gravitating toward the last one. Fun stuff!

I'm glad you showed us what the scene looks like in different light.

Feb 27, 2017 at 02:31 PM
RMC cichlids
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Big Trip out west Part 1 (Capitol Reef) Edits

Thanks for the nice comment Mark, I've admired your photography for awhile. I'm also a subscriber to your you tube channel.

Feb 27, 2017 at 06:29 PM
gordon l
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Big Trip out west Part 1 (Capitol Reef) Edits

I like the nice set of colors and lighting in the last one.

Mar 03, 2017 at 04:48 PM
RMC cichlids
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Big Trip out west Part 1 (Capitol Reef) Edits

Thanks Gordon

Mar 04, 2017 at 01:08 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.