Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              9       10       end

Pre-order new Sigma lenses (14, 24-70, 135 & 100-400)

EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Pre-order new Sigma lenses (14, 24-70, 135 & 100-400)

Todd wrote:
The Nikon 135 DC doesn't have os, why need it here? Do you plan on shooting in low lit areas all the time? 1/20 sec shutter? OS, really?

It's not 1990 anymore. OS would be nice.

EBH

Feb 26, 2017 at 07:29 AM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Pre-order new Sigma lenses (14, 24-70, 135 & 100-400)

elfanucchi wrote:
Pre Ordering anything with out knowing the price it will cost you sounds like marriage.

The 100-400 at F/5 - 6.3 is as slow as molasses on a cold day.

Why does 1/3 of a stop (that allowed to shrink the lens down quite a bit, including the filter thread that went from 77mm to 67mm) suddenly make all the difference? There will inevitably be a "S" version from Sigma, presumably with 1/3 faster aperture. They've been making xxx-400mm f/4.5-5.6 zooms since time immemorial so it's not like they suddenly forgot how to do this.

Feb 26, 2017 at 09:35 AM
boshek
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Pre-order new Sigma lenses (14, 24-70, 135 & 100-400)

a Sigma rep told me pricing will be announced at the end of March, so how much after that will the lenses be released

Feb 26, 2017 at 02:24 PM
Tony Rogers
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Pre-order new Sigma lenses (14, 24-70, 135 & 100-400)

omarlyn wrote:
Because they say "Sigma" on them, I'll stick with my Canons (or Tokinas for that matter). I'm still not a believer... no matter what anyone says, Sigma=Stigma (as far as I'm concerned)

You got me curious - have you tried anything Sigma since the change of management? It was a radical shift in direction, and you may not appreciate how radical.

Of course, you can choose not to listen.

Come to think of it, means one less person in the queue for the best lenses... You stick by your guns - don't let anyone tell you different! :-)

Feb 26, 2017 at 02:34 PM
Sayeret18
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Pre-order new Sigma lenses (14, 24-70, 135 & 100-400)

Why does 1/3 of a stop (that allowed to shrink the lens down quite a bit, including the filter thread that went from 77mm to 67mm) suddenly make all the difference? There will inevitably be a "S" version from Sigma, presumably with 1/3 faster aperture. They've been making xxx-400mm f/4.5-5.6 zooms since time immemorial so it's not like they suddenly forgot how to do this.

Agreed. Given the high ISO capabilities of modern DSLRs, the 1/3 of a stop trade-off for significantly reduced size and weight makes terrific sense. Apropos of a prior comment, it is not 1990 anymore and we are not constrained by the limits of 800 or 1600 ISO film.

If it performs as advertised wide open, then this Sigma becomes the go-to lens for a high-quality, "easy carry" travel and family kit.

Feb 26, 2017 at 02:47 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Pre-order new Sigma lenses (14, 24-70, 135 & 100-400)

Tony Rogers wrote:
...Of course, you can choose not to listen.

Come to think of it, means one less person in the queue for the best lenses... You stick by your guns - don't let anyone tell you different! :-)

You got it Tony! I'll stick to my guns (and all my old Canon lenses that actually work)... I save money, you move up in the queue... it's a win-win for everyone!

Feb 26, 2017 at 03:24 PM
johnvanr
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Pre-order new Sigma lenses (14, 24-70, 135 & 100-400)

For me the question is whether the 135mm Sigma is better or as good as the Sony 135mm f/1.8 that I had for a while and sold because I hoped a newer version would appear soon. That's one special lens, even compared to the already excellent Canon 135mm.

Feb 26, 2017 at 04:32 PM
Blakehfreeman
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Pre-order new Sigma lenses (14, 24-70, 135 & 100-400)

Why do so many here and other places consider purchases a rental service? If it's defective- I get it... but I get irritated every time I hear of people that buy, try and return.

"If I don't like it I'll simply quickly return it."
Two23 wrote:
I've never pre-ordered before, but will this time. My fear is the wait time to deliver will be long, and I want the lens. If I don't like it I'll simply quickly return it. No problem. As for the 100-400 I too was skeptical. Why would I buy it rather than keep my Nikon 80-400mm f5.6? The reason is of course size & weight. The Sigma looks like a helluva an option for a small but competent travel lens. I'll likely keep the Nikon, but as a more compact & lighter option the Sigma is enticing. As for marriage, turns
...Show more

Feb 26, 2017 at 05:28 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Pre-order new Sigma lenses (14, 24-70, 135 & 100-400)

Sayeret18 wrote:

Agreed. Given the high ISO capabilities of modern DSLRs, the 1/3 of a stop trade-off for significantly reduced size and weight makes terrific sense. Apropos of a prior comment, it is not 1990 anymore and
...Show more

That 1/3 stop slower aperture may impact AF performance, especially on outer points depending on the camera. Certainly AF with a 1.4x TC would be less than ideal.

EBH

Feb 26, 2017 at 06:52 PM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Pre-order new Sigma lenses (14, 24-70, 135 & 100-400)

Depth of Feel wrote:
Is there any math that can be done to compare 105 @ 1.4 to 135 @ 1.8 ?

Sure there is!

Interestingly both lenses have exactly the same entrance pupil diameter: 105 / 1.4 == 135 / 1.8 == 75

This means that if you crop an image taken with the 105mm f/1.4 wide open it will look exactly the same as if it was taken with the 135mm f/1.8 wide open (same field of view, same depth of field, background blur etc.)

Depth of Feel wrote:
I found a calculator. Turns out 135 has less DOF then 105.

Actually the 105mm f/1.4 has shallower depth of field when you keep the subject the same size in the frame (i.e. if you are shooting a head and shoulders portrait with both lenses). This comparison makes more sense in terms of how the lenses will be used than keeping the same subject distance.

However depth of field is the wrong quantity to be concerned about in a portrait lens. It's the amount of background blur that most people are interested in.

For distant background both lenses will actually produce the same amount of blur (e.g. distant city lights will be rendered as circles of the same size). Again this assumes the subject is close to the camera and is kept the same size in the frame.

For closer backgrounds the 105mm will give slightly more blur, however it will also give you more background in shot so this can make it seem less blurred out.

Depth of Feel wrote:
Could mean nicer bokeh. We'll see.

In most cases the amount of blur will be the same, however the quality of the blur depends on other factors. At f/1.8 aberrations are easier to correct compared to f/1.4 so the Sigma may have nicer bokeh.

Feb 26, 2017 at 07:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Matt Grum
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Pre-order new Sigma lenses (14, 24-70, 135 & 100-400)

Todd wrote:
The Nikon 135 DC doesn't have os, why need it here? Do you plan on shooting in low lit areas all the time? 1/20 sec shutter? OS, really?

Possibly for the same reasons 70-200mm zooms with stabilisation are very popular.

I use the Canon 135mm f/2.0Lwith the A7RII for lots of things other than portraits. For travel having stabilisation is really useful, being able to shoot in dark churches at 1/25s - especially when tripods are forbidden.

Its also great pretty much any time you're photographing something that doesn't move much - like this guy:

135mm f/2.0 1/30s

I decided to shoot a very quick comparison - two images with with IBIS turned on, and two with it turned off. Note I was shooting wide open, through glass so the IBIS image isn't perfectly sharp.

Feb 26, 2017 at 09:28 PM
Frode
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Pre-order new Sigma lenses (14, 24-70, 135 & 100-400)

No thanks, never Sigma again!

Fred Miranda wrote:
The new Sigma lenses were already added to B&H Photo and Adorama pages. They will soon be available for pre-order.

1. Sigma 14mm f/1.8 at B&H Photo and Adorama.

2. Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 B&H Photo and Adorama.

3. Sigma 135mm f/1.8 at B&H Photo and Adorama.

4. Sigma 100-400mmm B&H Photo and Adorama.

Feb 26, 2017 at 09:33 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Pre-order new Sigma lenses (14, 24-70, 135 & 100-400)

Regarding OS. A lot can be said about why it should or should not be there. But my guess is that it came down to price. When a manufacturer releases a lens with IS/VR/OS it's expensive. So expensive that a lot of people can't afford it. And worse, the forums fill up with complaints about price, haha! So Sigma will see increased sales, overall, without OS. That's my guess.

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:37 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Pre-order new Sigma lenses (14, 24-70, 135 & 100-400)

Blakehfreeman wrote:
Why do so many here and other places consider purchases a rental service? If it's defective- I get it... but I get irritated every time I hear of people that buy, try and return.

Two23 wrote:
I buy and sell from ebay all the time, but have never had to return anything I purchased new. Just saying that if the lens is awful I can either quickly cancel the order or return it very quickly. I won't get stuck.

kent in SD

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:54 AM
traylorc
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Pre-order new Sigma lenses (14, 24-70, 135 & 100-400)

Blakehfreeman wrote:

Not trying to attack you...but perhaps this question should be directed towards the numerous online retailers that utilize the 30 day money back guarantee policy as a marketing ploy in order to entice potential buyers?

I am not advocating utilizing a "rental mentality" when purchasing electronics.

That being said...I am hard pressed to criticize any consumer for having a "buy it and try it mentality" when the retailers are proactively and aggressively utilize this strategy as a competitive advantage. If this marketing strategy represented such a hard ship for retailers, then I imagine they would tighten and/or change their return policies. Nobody is forcing online retailers such as Amazon to offer such liberal/generous return policies...therefore I can only conclude that online retailers feel the pros of their current return policies outweigh the cons.

Feb 27, 2017 at 01:11 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Pre-order new Sigma lenses (14, 24-70, 135 & 100-400)

When retailers say things like 'hassle-free returns if you're not completely satisfied' when you buy a product believing that it's what you're looking for and it turns out not to be- I don't mind returning.

I did this with the current 150/2.8 OS; it's a nice lens, for what it's designed for, but it's not a longer 100/2.8L, which is what I had expected it to be based on research (slow, sometimes hesitant AF, wide-open acuity noticeably lacking).

Feb 27, 2017 at 06:43 AM
stevesanacore
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Pre-order new Sigma lenses (14, 24-70, 135 & 100-400)

Tony Rogers wrote:
I have preordered the 135mm (emailed my dealer immediately after reading the announcement).

I am delighted that it doesn't have IS / OS / VR / whatever.

@ohsnaphappy@ - I owned the Canon 200mm f/2 for some years. Didn't use it a lot because it was so heavy. Got some good images with it, though.

Why would you be delighted that it doesn't have IS? What's the downside to having it? I think every long lens should have IS these days. It's fantastic to have the option to shoot at longer shutter times with long lenses when necessary. I know some bodies now have it but I'm not sure it's as effective on longer focal lengths?

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:11 PM
Max Power
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Pre-order new Sigma lenses (14, 24-70, 135 & 100-400)

traylorc wrote:
Not trying to attack you...but perhaps this question should be directed towards the numerous online retailers that utilize the 30 day money back guarantee policy as a marketing ploy in order to entice potential buyers?

I am not advocating utilizing a "rental mentality" when purchasing electronics.

That being said...I am hard pressed to criticize any consumer for having a "buy it and try it mentality" when the retailers are proactively and aggressively utilize this strategy as a competitive advantage. If this marketing strategy represented such a hard ship for retailers, then I imagine they would tighten and/or change their return policies. Nobody
...Show more

Its not just camera gear, its almost everything, as we seem to be transitioning to buying everything sight unseen. To raise buyer confidence in a product they never touch, the retailers practically have to offer hassle free returns. A friend of mines wife will order multiple dresses at Macys online, the. Return the ones she doesnt like to the physical store location. It drives him nuts.

Feb 27, 2017 at 12:13 PM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Pre-order new Sigma lenses (14, 24-70, 135 & 100-400)

ohsnaphappy wrote:
Regarding OS. A lot can be said about why it should or should not be there. But my guess is that it came down to price. When a manufacturer releases a lens with IS/VR/OS it's expensive. So expensive that a lot of people can't afford it. And worse, the forums fill up with complaints about price, haha! So Sigma will see increased sales, overall, without OS. That's my guess.

Price is absolutely a valid reason not to include IS in a lens. "Because no-one needs IS in an xxx f/xx lens" is not.

stevesanacore wrote:
Why would you be delighted that it doesn't have IS? What's the downside to having it?

Cost is the major one. It's also something else that can break - I dropped my Canon 100mm f/2.8L macro a very short distance and the IS broke, in a way that also meant I couldn't even shoot without IS. Finally it's extra glass in the optical path which has a small impact on the T-stop etc.

stevesanacore wrote:
I think every long lens should have IS these days. It's fantastic to have the option to shoot at longer shutter times with long lenses when necessary.

Pretty much every long lens does have IS now, but for some reason nobody makes a stabilised 135mm prime (but you can get a 24mm with IS), go figure

Feb 27, 2017 at 02:24 PM
Cphoto1954
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Pre-order new Sigma lenses (14, 24-70, 135 & 100-400)

WOW - look at the pride and happiness he shows when the Sigma rep gets to talk about the 135.

I bet that is a sharp lens, to say it is "THE best ART lens" says a lot. I have the 85 ART and it blows me away with its quality.

Feb 27, 2017 at 02:37 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password