Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · D500 Hard Lockup needing battery pull? Anyone else experience it?

mrgetalife
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D500 Hard Lockup needing battery pull? Anyone else experience it?

I've only had it once happen so far so i wouldn't call it problematic. I just wanted to bring it up to see if anyone else has run into it in their D500 use.

I have my camera set so the photo review is set to 5 minutes to keep a wifi SD card active. I can't use snapbridge for wifi transfers because the battery hit is even worse then what i'm doing now. But at one point in time the camera just stopped responding. The power switch didn't do anything so i had to do a battery pull to reset it.

Feb 23, 2017 at 05:21 PM
Lance B
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D500 Hard Lockup needing battery pull? Anyone else experience it?

Had this happen to me once, about 9 months ago but not since. There was supposed to be some button combination/s that was supposed to possibly cause it but I can't remember what that combination was that may cause it. I can't remember if there has been a firmware update for the D500, maybe that fixed it and why I haven't had the issue since.

Feb 23, 2017 at 05:45 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D500 Hard Lockup needing battery pull? Anyone else experience it?

I had this problem with a bad XQD card. Pulled the card and no problems with the SD card in the other slot. Had the XQD card replaced by the manufacturer and no more problems.

Feb 25, 2017 at 02:03 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D500 Hard Lockup needing battery pull? Anyone else experience it?

I had the problem in Bosque in December. I was shooting rapid (10fps) burst with my 300mm f/2.8 AFS-II (I bring this up, because it is an older lens). I think that the mirror, aperture and shutter got out of sync, and the camera froze (just a guess). Anyway, I was able to see all of my images, but got a persistent error code. Fortunately, I had a 2nd D500 and a D810, so I put the body aside for a while. When I got back to the hotel I could not get the error code to go away. Surprisingly, I never tried to hit the shutter release, but in desperation, I put the battery back in and squeezed the shutter release... and all was better! It is for this reason that I believe that the mirror and shutter were out of sync.

good luck and try a bit of everything!
bruce

Feb 25, 2017 at 08:41 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D500 Hard Lockup needing battery pull? Anyone else experience it?

I think I had it happen once with the camera, just pulled the battery and went on. If it happens a lot I'd send it in, but I wouldn't worry about it otherwise. These things are full of computers and sometimes they lock up.

Feb 25, 2017 at 08:51 AM
JSW3
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D500 Hard Lockup needing battery pull? Anyone else experience it?

I have mine set to back button focus and have had it do nothing when pushed on a couple of occasions. Off and back on cured it.

Feb 25, 2017 at 09:17 AM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D500 Hard Lockup needing battery pull? Anyone else experience it?

Same here:

Happened once......about a month into the camera (last June 2016 ?).

Pulled the battery then re-installed. Problem solved.

Got a firmware update last fall.

Anyway, the lock-up happened once only.

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:12 AM
mrgetalife
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D500 Hard Lockup needing battery pull? Anyone else experience it?

Just checking to see if it's a wide scale/often problem. I shoot on a hobby schedule so I collect dust for periods of time.

I'll chalk it up to a random hard to find non-fatal/no service required problem.

Feb 27, 2017 at 03:01 PM
mrgetalife
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D500 Hard Lockup needing battery pull? Anyone else experience it?

It's been a year. And I think i figured it out as it's a rare setting I play with.

I was tweaking my RAW+JPEG settings again because I offload my images wirelessly with JPEG. I was looking to get the smallest size/compression ratio again to see if I could get away with smaller. Then the camera locked up. And it dawned on me the last time I was doing this was the year before.

Feb 24, 2018 at 04:27 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D500 Hard Lockup needing battery pull? Anyone else experience it?

The camera needs to complete the writing of the entire image file to the card and if this is not possible the programming does not provide a way to resolve it other than pulling the battery out which in effect reboots the CPU in the camera.

A memory card that has bad sectors will only show problems when data is written to that particular sector. That is why a card may seem to be good and only present problems on rare occasions unless you fill up the card completely whenever you shoot.

WiFi and Snapbridge add more potential points of failure. If a connection is initiated but the connection is then lost, the camera's programming may not be sophisticated enough to resolve the breakdown.

With my Windows computers the boot process includes first making connections to all the hardware. If I disconnect from the network where I have a NAS, the boot time will be greatly increased as the computer tries and retries to make the connection. Eventually it will stop trying but it can take several minutes.

This is why a particular sequence may be needed in terms of what devices are turned on first, second, and third, to avoid problems with one device "seeing" another. There are programming ways to not have these problems but most programmers are not very good, only good enough (barely).

Feb 26, 2018 at 05:52 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.