1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2017 · Kestrel in flight or 1DX auto focus rediscovered

arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Kestrel in flight or 1DX auto focus rediscovered

Doctorbird wrote:
As usual, Peter's advice is always valid, verifiable and valuable. I can attest to this particular one by my own experience.

To facilitate this I have assigned my DoF preview button on the 1DX II to 'Switch to Registered AF point' (all AF points in this case) so that when all auto focus points are needed I just push said button and all points come into play without even taking my eyes off the viewfinder.

No doubt many of you here are already aware of this feature.

Db

You can also make one of the back buttons switch to that mode (or any mode) if you are a back button focus user. Hold the AF-ON and it will do say expand mode. Hold the * instead and it can do the 61 point mode. Or any two modes you wish and can change the AF case and a few other goodies if you so choose. Easier than hitting that DOF button that I can never hit. The 1DXII has an extra button by the DOF preview also but again I am obviously too uncoordinated to make it work.

Mar 06, 2017 at 06:28 PM
Doctorbird
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Kestrel in flight or 1DX auto focus rediscovered

arbitrage wrote:
You can also make one of the back buttons switch to that mode (or any mode) if you are a back button focus user. Hold the AF-ON and it will do say expand mode. Hold the * instead and it can do the 61 point mode. Or any two modes you wish and can change the AF case and a few other goodies if you so choose. Easier than hitting that DOF button that I can never hit. The 1DXII has an extra button by the DOF preview also but again I am obviously too uncoordinated to make it work.

.... I know what you mean by being uncoordinated, but I got used to it. The other button by the DoF one is a bit harder for me to locate under shooting conditions so I configured it for Magnification review instead.

Mar 06, 2017 at 07:51 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Kestrel in flight or 1DX auto focus rediscovered

Coming in late, I think Peter's observations on improvement by using all AF points may have limitations depending on subject and conditions.

I switched to case 1 on my 1Dx and all points available for a recent softball game. I found that - at least for me at my skill level - I lost a lot of shots as the AF would pull up something behind the runner/batter/whatever leaving my central point OOF. I think perhaps in sports when there are distracting and/or other objects entering leaving the focus plane that center point with assist works better.

I can see, however, in a bird in the sky situation that with a relatively uncluttered background that full AF could make a significant difference. I know I've hunted the wily hawk/raven/vulture and lost the photo do to not being able to get the focal point on a fast moving bird. When I nail it, works great, but keeper rate is way below what I get in sports.

I'd appreciate others' experiences with sports and full AF.

Robert

Mar 07, 2017 at 11:55 AM
BPDsas67

p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Kestrel in flight or 1DX auto focus rediscovered

Arbitrage - or anyone.... do you mind helping me out with assigning the * button to switch to AI Servo Zone Case 6... Im getting pretty confused attempting to do this (unsuccessfully) I would Love to try giving this a whirl...
You help would be very much appreciated...Thanks...
Ragards
Scott

Mar 07, 2017 at 02:00 PM
BPDsas67

p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Kestrel in flight or 1DX auto focus rediscovered

I think I figured it out... I was trying to figure out how to keep whatever my current setting in Manual were, and just change it to Zone Focusing with a different case... you just uncheck those boxes! ...and change the tracking ... duh.... :> I was over thinking it. And now I found a nice work around for when I want to keep everything the same except switch to Auto ISO if something is flying around in shade or drastic changes of light occur. Before I had set up different Custom settings - C1-C3 and would cycle use Mfn to cycle thru to one I had set up with auto ISO...

Mar 07, 2017 at 02:20 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Kestrel in flight or 1DX auto focus rediscovered

BPDsas67 wrote:
I think I figured it out... I was trying to figure out how to keep whatever my current setting in Manual were, and just change it to Zone Focusing with a different case... you just uncheck those boxes! ...and change the tracking ... duh.... :> I was over thinking it. And now I found a nice work around for when I want to keep everything the same except switch to Auto ISO if something is flying around in shade or drastic changes of light occur. Before I had set up different Custom settings - C1-C3 and would cycle use Mfn
...Show more

I only saw your two posts now but glad you figured it out.
If you are using Back button focus then there are actually two different ways to setup that * button. Both are accessed in the Custom Functions menu.

1) Push the Info button when you have selected Metering/AF start as your option for the * button. That gives you a limited number of changes you can make to the button. This will allow you to select Case 6. Your M mode exposure settings will remain the same.

2) Register/Recall shooting function...this sounds like it is the one you are using and yes you can check and uncheck as much or as little as you like. If you want the button to do focus also then the very last checkbox on the list needs to be checked.

Mar 07, 2017 at 10:26 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.