New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2017 · Better option Sigma 85 ART or Canon 85L II

bjbsav

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Better option Sigma 85 ART or Canon 85L II

I had the Sigma 85 non ART and I am going to get either the Sigma 85 ART or Canon 85L II. I am not worried about the cost of either. I want the better lens. I have done research and most of the youtube videos that I have seen have the Sigma 85 ART beating the Canon 85L II in sharpness although the Canon 85L II has what I would consider the better bokeh.

Both are superb lenses and I want to get your thoughts.

Thanks,

Ben

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:49 PM
fplstudio
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Better option Sigma 85 ART or Canon 85L II

I am at the same turning point except that I have already taken my decision.

At the same selling price I pick the 85L 1.2. For portrait use I favour better bokeh, AF quality control, wheather sealing and future compatibility to better sharpness, microcontrast and AF speed that the Sigma is offering. For different uses, things may be different of course.

Given the significantly higher selling price of the Canon, I don't see enough reasons to pick the Canon, so will go with the 85mm Art. A good / bad photo will definitely not look much different and the creative use of the aperture is there for both.
I will however wait for the rumored 85L 1.4 since have no urgency to upgrade (I am actually covered by 85 1.8 and 135 2L) but don't have much expectations in terms of competitive selling price.

In conclusion I believe that either way you will have a stellar lens.

Cheers
Francesco

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:19 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Better option Sigma 85 ART or Canon 85L II

The Art is the 'better lens', and is more versatile (faster focus, sharper wide-open), but the 85L certainly has the 'look'.

This is way too subjective, to be honest. I'd probably go with the Art personally, but if I were invested professionally in portraiture I'd have the Canon.

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:30 PM
bjbsav

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Better option Sigma 85 ART or Canon 85L II

I guess that is honestly what I am looking to hear the "subjective" answer. I little while ago I decided to stop wasting time and money on getting equipment on the cheap. Buying a lens and selling and losing money and upgrading. I will spend the money to get the the best option. I know it really depends on what you shoot. I am a semi-professional. I have a full time career but I shoot three or four times a week on paid jobs shooting sports, portraits (mainly swimsuit) and wildlife.

Here is the what currently have,
EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM,
EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM,
EF 16-35 f/4L IS USM,
EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM,
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
EF 50mm f/1.2L USM (Arriving Friday)

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:56 PM
fplstudio
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Better option Sigma 85 ART or Canon 85L II

In your case I would take my decision based on how much you like the 50 1.2. If you totally fall in love with it than go for the 85 1.2.

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:30 AM
GWMT
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Better option Sigma 85 ART or Canon 85L II

Stick with Canon, I just bought the Sig, $1200 brick, focus is all off, docked with tech 3 times, and the store won't take it back or exchange it. I should of known better.

Feb 23, 2017 at 02:19 AM
ross.thomas
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Better option Sigma 85 ART or Canon 85L II

I've extensively used both lenses. The Sigma is the sharpest lens I've ever seen at 1.4. It honestly puts the Canon to shame in sharpness and contrast comparisons. The Canon colors may be a little better. I didn't have any focusing issues on my Sigma so I can't speak to that.

Feb 23, 2017 at 02:56 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Better option Sigma 85 ART or Canon 85L II

GWMT wrote:
Stick with Canon, I just bought the Sig, $1200 brick, focus is all off, docked with tech 3 times, and the store won't take it back or exchange it. I should of known better.

If you kept it beyond the return period, it's got a warranty for a reason.

Feb 23, 2017 at 03:12 AM
FordTran
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Better option Sigma 85 ART or Canon 85L II

I used the 85L almost exclusively. I've owned sigma arts including the 35 and 50. I've rented the 85 and to be honest, if you are looking for sharpness and build quality not to mention bargain, OK...There's no comparison, sigma has nailed it. But I got rid of them because of the hit or miss AF and the wonky firmware issues (both the 35 and 50 needed updates to auto focus in live view.) Don't get me wrong, I loved those lenses, but I'm pass the point in my photography where sharpness matters, that's why the 85l has been the staple of portraits. Both are good options, but I'm one for Canon quality.

Feb 23, 2017 at 03:36 AM
D.Hussey
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Better option Sigma 85 ART or Canon 85L II

GWMT wrote:

I'd say you need to find a better retailer to patronize

Feb 23, 2017 at 03:40 AM

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Better option Sigma 85 ART or Canon 85L II

I'd choose the Tamron 85/1.8 VC.

Feb 23, 2017 at 04:01 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Better option Sigma 85 ART or Canon 85L II

We all know user bias and error outweighs gear failure 326549 to 0.27.

Or sometimes we just don't gel with a certain piece of gear.

Feb 23, 2017 at 04:05 AM
therealthings
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Better option Sigma 85 ART or Canon 85L II

What i am interested in is, now that the 135 1.8 ART is announced (with it's impressive MTF chart), how many of you would rather go for that lens instead of the 85 1.4 ART.
a 1.8 on 135mm makes for even smoother bokeh, but i'm not sure if the length is cumbersome. I read that a lot of ppl prefer 85mm over 135, but since i never owned either a 85 or 135 i can't tell. But i am interested in buying either the 135 or 85 ART.

Feb 23, 2017 at 04:06 AM
petr vokurek
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Better option Sigma 85 ART or Canon 85L II

The Canon 85 f1,2 is a well proven workhorse and, honestly, does anyone need more sharpness for portraits? Speed of AF is another matter..it is rather demanding in this respect. The only reason IŽd go with the Sigma would be for better AF. Unfortunatelly, this is where Sigmas infamously fail. I got rid of all Sigma primes for this reason. With Sigmas you have to be "lucky". With Canon you know what you get.

Feb 23, 2017 at 04:31 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Better option Sigma 85 ART or Canon 85L II

therealthings wrote:
What i am interested in is, now that the 135 1.8 ART is announced (with it's impressive MTF chart), how many of you would rather go for that lens instead of the 85 1.4 ART.
a 1.8 on 135mm makes for even smoother bokeh, but i'm not sure if the length is cumbersome. I read that a lot of ppl prefer 85mm over 135, but since i never owned either a 85 or 135 i can't tell. But i am interested in buying either the 135 or 85 ART.

This is just my opinion, but if you are standing in front of a client/model/friend/relative and making a portrait be it full length, three-quarter or a headshot, then the 85mm is very useful.

If you are shooting things on stage, and this shows my bias, then consider the 135mm - but then why not a 70-200mm f2.8L unless you value less weight, more speed?

I am not sure the Canon 135mm will be eclipsed by the 135 Art - the 135 f2L is a great lens with fast, accurate AF and reliable Canon build quality.

135 Art = 1130gm

135 f2L = 707gm

Feb 23, 2017 at 05:41 AM
therealthings
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Better option Sigma 85 ART or Canon 85L II

Paul Mo wrote:
This is just my opinion, but if you are standing in front of a client/model/friend/relative and making a portrait be it full length, three-quarter or a headshot, then the 85mm is very useful.

If you are shooting things on stage, and this shows my bias, then consider the 135mm - but then why not a 70-200mm f2.8L unless you value less weight, more speed?

I am not sure the Canon 135mm will be eclipsed by the 135 Art - the 135 f2L is a great lens with fast, accurate AF and reliable Canon build quality.

135 Art = 1130gm

135 f2L =
...Show more

I like subject isolation and smooth bokeh a lot for some of my photography interests. If you look at Lisa Holloway's outdoor images you can see, the obvious pp skills aside, nice subject isolation in a lot of images. I know she used the 200 F2 on some images. That is even better but not for the wallet.

I'm not sure if the 135 1.8 creates more appealing backgrounds than the 135 2.0. I think those bokeh tests on TDP needs to have an update soon

Feb 23, 2017 at 06:31 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Better option Sigma 85 ART or Canon 85L II

If you don't need it right away Canon rumors seem to indicate that 2017 will see a Canon 85/1.4 IS. That would be my choice unless you desperately need 1.2.

Feb 23, 2017 at 07:46 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Better option Sigma 85 ART or Canon 85L II

It would cost $85 to rent the Canon and $75 to rent the Sigma for 7 days, less for a 4 day rental. Considering the purchase price, I think it would be a good investment to rent both and compare.

The Zeiss Milvus might be an interesting alternative, but it's manual focus.

I haven't owned or used any of the above, I shoot with the lowly Canon 85mm 1.8. When I want to blow out the background, I use my Canon 135mm L.

Feb 23, 2017 at 09:01 AM
bjbsav

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Better option Sigma 85 ART or Canon 85L II

I actually miss using a fully manual focus lens. I have been tempted to purchase one just for the fun of it.

I think I am pretty set on the Canon 85L II. I will get one when I see one for a great price. If I don't like it I can always sell it and get the Sigma.

Feb 23, 2017 at 10:01 AM
iplayazi
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Better option Sigma 85 ART or Canon 85L II

As a wedding photographer average 30 a year. I have owned the canon and the Art. I stuck with the sigma. The bokeh is as pleasing as the canon. I can't explain it but I kept the sigma. Money is not an issue. It pops more perhaps cause of the clinical sharpness then it blows right away to the smooth bokeh. And yes sharpness is a thing of the past for me that's why I love character lenses. I own the mitakon f0.95 lens for my Fuji for that very reason anyways you can't go wrong with either but that's my humble opinion.

Feb 23, 2017 at 10:15 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.