FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

External Hard Drives

schlotz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · External Hard Drives

you do know this is an old thread, right?

Aug 09, 2017 at 07:12 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · External Hard Drives

Get one of these, Thunderbolt 2 interface, 4 drive enclosure,

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Thunderbolt/External-Drive/OWC/ThunderBay-4

Aug 10, 2017 at 12:02 AM
bs kite
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · External Hard Drives

Keiththom wrote:
I seem to be constantly replacing my Western Digital external hard drives. Two went down on me recently within a short period of time. I tried to keep 4 going and have to replace one every year.

Backup is important to me and I live in a rural area where I can't back up to the cloud due to lack of adequate internet. Is anyone out there have a better suggestion than Western Digital?

Had the same problem. Don't have it anymore.

Regarding purchases of HD, I stay away from the consumer stores. IMO....that is where you get the junk drives. It is also my opinion that ..... WD and Seagate

I despise Seagate for good reasons They have dumped their last junk drive onto me and have ignored my complaints their last time.

Here is what works for me. And maybe the reason IS just excessive heat...and NOT HD quality. But I am done getting burned. So.....

1. Buy the highest quality Internal HD's I can find (try for "Enterprise Grade")

2. Keep them in a dock, outside the computer....on the floor. There are two HD's in this dock (6TB/8TB). This one is Toshiba but I also have HGST which I believe is just as solid and reliable.

This particular dock might be discontinued, but there are others just as good (better) you can find. Make sure the connections are fast. I still use the old Mac and the dock you see has Thunderbolt. My transfer is fast.

3. BACKUP: I back up the system data with Time Machine. I back up the two HD's you see in the dock simply copying manually any new folders that one has and the other does not. Why: It works for me. It is simple. Old drives will go in a bank vault off site.

Wish someone would explain to me why some of my uploaded images are much bigger than I want. The image I uploaded is way too big. Why?

Aug 10, 2017 at 12:37 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · External Hard Drives

Heat is the enemy of hard disk drives and they majority are designed to be used in an enclosure with a fan to cool them down. The drives in my NAS run at 93 degrees and that is 20 degrees above the air temperature of the room. No fan and the temperature would be much hotter in the drives and their life would be much shorter.

Check the great many complaints over the years about failing drives and most of them are in reference to hard drives in an enclosure that lacks a fan.

The WDC NAS drives are good and if used in a multi-disk NAS the performance will be as good as single 7200 RPM drives.

At a bare minimum I would want any data I cared about sitting on two drives set up for RAID1 in an enclosure with a fan. When one drive fails I still have all my data intact and immediately accessible on the second drive. Such a setup costs less than $400 to put together. What is your data worth to you?

Aug 11, 2017 at 10:54 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · External Hard Drives

Keiththom wrote:
I seem to be constantly replacing my Western Digital external hard drives. Two went down on me recently within a short period of time. I tried to keep 4 going and have to replace one every year.

Backup is important to me and I live in a rural area where I can't back up to the cloud due to lack of adequate internet. Is anyone out there have a better suggestion than Western Digital?

bs kite wrote:
Had the same problem. Don't have it anymore.

Regarding purchases of HD, I stay away from the consumer stores. IMO....that is where you get the junk drives. It is also my opinion that ..... WD and Seagate

I despise Seagate for good reasons They have dumped their last junk drive onto me and have ignored my complaints their last time.

Here is what works for me. And maybe the reason IS just excessive heat...and NOT HD quality. But I am done getting burned. So.....

1. Buy the highest quality Internal HD's I can find (try for "Enterprise Grade")

2. Keep
...Show more

HGST has been owned by WD for years now. If you don't like WD and Seagate, maybe switch to SSDs. Toshiba 3.5" drives (based on HGST technology) exist solely to provide competition to the WD/Seagate duopoly in certain markets. I'm not sure where that will go after the Toshiba bankruptcy. FWIW, HGST and Seagate both make helium filled Enterprise capacity drives with MTBF of 2.5M hours. Put a number of those in a decent NAS configured in RAID 6 (or storage server in RAID-Z2) and you should be set. I do use WD Red drives in a backup NAS, where the reduced 5400 RPM performance is not an issue. The 8 and 10 TB Reds have implemented the HGST He technology. I have 16 of the 8 TB Reds and no problems yet.

EBH

Aug 11, 2017 at 11:48 PM
bs kite
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · External Hard Drives

EB-1 wrote:
HGST has been owned by WD for years now. If you don't like WD and Seagate, maybe switch to SSDs. Toshiba 3.5" drives (based on HGST technology) exist solely to provide competition to the WD/Seagate duopoly in certain markets. I'm not sure where that will go after the Toshiba bankruptcy. FWIW, HGST and Seagate both make helium filled Enterprise capacity drives with MTBF of 2.5M hours. Put a number of those in a decent NAS configured in RAID 6 (or storage server in RAID-Z2) and you should be set. I do use WD Red drives in a backup NAS,
...Show more

KISS

1. And General Motors makes the $1300 Spark model, along with all Cadillacs from $35K to $100K and up.

2. From all credible accounts Enterprise Grade is much more reliable than Consumer Grade.

3. I bought a Seagate back-up HD from Staples and had much trouble with it. I repeatedly asked Seagate for help. I was repeatedly blown off. Seagate sucks and IMHO Staples pedals cheap drives.

4. As it is now for me... Enterprise grade running in a cool dock .... KISS.

5. I do have an SSD in my macbook.

Aug 12, 2017 at 01:19 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · External Hard Drives

Simple is not necessarily best and a single USB drive (on the floor no less) is less reliable than a solid array.
I do have several "toasters" and use them for occasional archiving or testing.
Make sure that you use some form of checksum to confirm the data and consider a dock with a fan for the hotter running drives. The helium drives run cool enough to function well without active cooling.
The 3.5" external Seagate Backup drives are historically poor and some use the shingled archive drives internally. I have one of the awful 8TB archive drives with the most abysmal performance.

EBH

Aug 12, 2017 at 08:58 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · External Hard Drives

WD co-owns a flash-memory semiconductor plant in Japan with Toshiba
WD owns SanDisk which is a marketer of SSD's along with their own WD branded SSD's

Aug 12, 2017 at 09:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · External Hard Drives

sjms wrote:
WD co-owns a flash-memory semiconductor plant in Japan with Toshiba
WD owns SanDisk which is a marketer of SSD's along with their own WD branded SSD's

At least WD seems to be on a better path than Seagate.

EBH

Aug 13, 2017 at 12:42 AM
bs kite
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · External Hard Drives

For me..... simple is the best. Complexity is directly related to failure rate.

I am not fascinated with computers, hard drives or anything related. They are tools.

I got into nature photography for nature... not for computers and post processing.

The drives are on the floor so they cannot end up on the floor accidentally. It is the same place my expensive camera equipment is stored...and for the same reason.

I know these two drives do not get hot because I check them.

What would happen to the inside temperature in an array box if the fan failed while the HD's kept working ?

Edited on Aug 13, 2017 at 01:18 AM · View previous versions

Aug 13, 2017 at 01:02 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · External Hard Drives

bs kite wrote:
Simple is the best. Complexity is directly related to failure rate.

It is on to the floor so it cannot end up on the floor accidentally. It is the same place my expensive camera equipment is stored...and for the same reason.

These two drives do not get hot. But I will consider your advice.

I suggest you protect it from water then. Even a few inches can make a difference. Many years ago I lost cameras, lenses, and slides/negs due to water damage from a plumbing leak.

EBH

Aug 13, 2017 at 01:17 AM
bs kite
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · External Hard Drives

Thank you.

Aug 13, 2017 at 01:19 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · External Hard Drives

Look into synology NAS servers I buy them driverless usually the two bay version and put wd red 4tb drives in them now I also ordered an external raid enclosure with four bays for my Mac tower I put 4 4tb wd reds in it in a raid five setup and it connects using a esata or usb3 cable I use the esata to the sata card I installed that hold 2 1tb blue ssds in a raid 0 for the so and apps. I find the wd externals are hit and miss I've got a passport from the mis 2000s then had orther passports and my books die almost immediately but wd swaps them out if under warranty

Aug 13, 2017 at 05:11 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · External Hard Drives

Cooling cooling cooling. So few of the external drive boxes have adequate cooling that they really can't be considered as "always on" devices. Turn them on, copy data, turn them off.

I wouldn't recommend hard drive docks for "always on" use either. Though the drive is open to the air, there is no actual airflow past the drive except that caused by convection. And the part of the drive within the dock doesn't even get that.

Best solution is to buy a good quality case with fan cooling and hook it in as either NAS or DAS depending on need.

With respect to drives, i buy WD reds for my home server. So far i've had one fail, 3 months past it's 3 year warranty cutoff. The other 2 drives i bought at the same time are still going strong after more than 4 years of 24/7 use. I have 3 x 4TB reds also, and they have all been running more than 3 years too.

Aug 13, 2017 at 07:36 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · External Hard Drives

15Bit wrote:
Cooling cooling cooling. So few of the external drive boxes have adequate cooling that they really can't be considered as "always on" devices. Turn them on, copy data, turn them off.

I wouldn't recommend hard drive docks for "always on" use either. Though the drive is open to the air, there is no actual airflow past the drive except that caused by convection. And the part of the drive within the dock doesn't even get that.

There are USB docks with fans such as this one, but they suffer from the same issues as other USB drives.

EBH

Aug 13, 2017 at 11:33 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · External Hard Drives

EB-1 wrote:
There are USB docks with fans such as this one, but they suffer from the same issues as other USB drives.

EBH

That's an interesting botch-job product. I'm sure i made something similar a few years ago with an old case fan and some sticky tape.

Aug 14, 2017 at 07:55 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password