New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

External Hard Drives

Keiththom
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · External Hard Drives

I seem to be constantly replacing my Western Digital external hard drives. Two went down on me recently within a short period of time. I tried to keep 4 going and have to replace one every year.

Backup is important to me and I live in a rural area where I can't back up to the cloud due to lack of adequate internet. Is anyone out there have a better suggestion than Western Digital?

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:22 PM
Andrew J
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · External Hard Drives

Issues like that can almost always be traced back to heat. Get airflow going and that should change things.

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:25 PM
Keiththom
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · External Hard Drives

Andrew J wrote:
Issues like that can almost always be traced back to heat. Get airflow going and that should change things.

Andrew: Any hard drive I'm working with is sitting out on an open counter. And it's winter here, (albeit a warmer than usual one.) Not saying you're wrong, but I wouldn't think an external hard drive would need a fan blowing on it?

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:28 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · External Hard Drives

are you purchasing a regular OTC boxed external drive or do you have a quality external housing and choose which model drive you are going to use in it?

there is generally quite a difference.

in built up OTC models you really have no idea what drive you are getting in it. you also usually only get a 1 year warranty.

with a quality external housing you get choose the level of quality you feel you need. next you get to choose a drive that will meet your requirements.
using WD as an example they have a spread of possible drive qualities to work with at varying price levels and sizes and warranties
WD HD Product

i have a Drobo with 5 WD Red drives in it that just runs and runs. pretty boring to look at but it does its job. it runs in varying room temps between 62-85 f.

to just do a single drive setup with the 2 parts (drive and enclosure) from boxes to running should be aboue 20 minutes. these should oulast any of the OTC ones.

Edited on Feb 22, 2017 at 11:59 PM · View previous versions

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:38 PM
Keiththom
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · External Hard Drives

sjms wrote:
are you purchasing a regular OTC boxed external drive or do you have a quality external housing and choose which model drive you are going to use in it?

there is generally quite a difference.

sjms: I have no Idea what an "OTC boxed external drive," is?

I've just been getting stock WD drives such as this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Book-Desktop-External-Drive-WDBBGB0060HBK-NESN/dp/B01LQQHKZY/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1487807157&sr=8-19&keywords=western+digital+external+hard+drive

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:48 PM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · External Hard Drives

They don't need a fan but cases with better venting have drives last longer. There are a lot of bad cases out there. Pretty much all the pre-built drives with cases are pretty bad. The ones you just plug a bare drive into seem to do way better even with the same drives. I have several different brands of these, some doubles: http://tinyurl.com/jxe9haz

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:51 PM
Keiththom
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · External Hard Drives

Andrew J wrote:
They don't need a fan but cases with better venting have drives last longer. There are a lot of bad cases out there. Pretty much all the pre-built drives with cases are pretty bad. The ones you just plug a bare drive into seem to do way better even with the same drives. I have several different brands of these, some doubles: http://tinyurl.com/jxe9haz

Andrew: I wouldn't even know how to set up or use your docking station? All I've ever used is just the plain old external drives you get at Best Buy or Walmart / retail shops. (see link above)

I seem to be external hard drive illiterate

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:57 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · External Hard Drives

Over The Counter type purchased at a big box store ready to plug in.

yep thats them what you linked to.

generally the DIY method yields a more reliable longer lasting product with a better warranty. it takes 20 minutes to build after choosing the parts and possibly a screwdriver to starting to use it.

Edited on Feb 23, 2017 at 12:05 AM · View previous versions

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:00 AM
Keiththom
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · External Hard Drives

sjms wrote:
Over The Counter type purchased at a big box store ready to plug in.

Yes. But they don't seem to be extremely reliable. I have one that is very old, but too small to be of any use. Most of my 3 and 4 TB ones last about 2 years and go bad. So If I'm running 3 or 4, I find myself replacing about one a year.

Which is perhaps just some of the cost of doing business and I shouldn't complain?

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:04 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · External Hard Drives

Keiththom wrote:
Yes. But they don't seem to be extremely reliable. I have one that is very old, but too small to be of any use. Most of my 3 and 4 TB ones last about 2 years and go bad. So If I'm running 3 or 4, I find myself replacing about one a year.

Which is perhaps just some of the cost of doing business and I should complain

what is the warranty with these?

i haven't replaced a drive in 6 years. i have added though. i buy better drives and better housings and DIY.

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:07 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Keiththom
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · External Hard Drives

The over the counter units only have about a 1 year warranty.

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:13 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · External Hard Drives

thats right. where you can get a good bare drive that has somewhere between 3 and 5 year warranty depending on money spent. that means at minimum you can return it and get a replacement drive during its warranted life. you should be running at minimum 2 drive containing the same data to back each other up in case of a single fail.

Edited on Feb 23, 2017 at 12:32 AM · View previous versions

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:26 AM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · External Hard Drives

Keiththom wrote:
Andrew: I wouldn't even know how to set up or use your docking station? All I've ever used is just the plain old external drives you get at Best Buy or Walmart / retail shops. (see link above)

I seem to be external hard drive illiterate

Take the drive out of the other enclosure and plug the drive in the one I linked too. Plug n play!

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:30 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · External Hard Drives

I use a bunch of WD Red drives, some in MyBook Duos, some internal, for various things, and they do well moving a lot of data (~50gb or more) several times per week. Additionally my backup software regularly runs md5 sums weekly on the backups to ensure integrity. That's even more weekly hdd use.
I had 'data corruption' on some MyBook Duo drives but turned out to be my mobo. I restored the backups from another drive that was offsite.
I had one internal drive in a Raid array start to fail and quickly rebuilt that. It was under warranty, but apparently the hdd you receive is a refurb. I am saving it for my next simple workstation build.
I can't tell what drive is in your WD external enclosure. It may not be rated as well. Or as suggested that enclosure may be prone to overheating.

I suggest using the MyBook Duo. If you don't need a lot of storage, set it up as Raid 1.
Good luck!

David

Edited on Feb 23, 2017 at 01:47 AM · View previous versions

Feb 23, 2017 at 01:43 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · External Hard Drives

I haven't had great experiences with OEM enclosures like that WD linked to at Amazon. I suspect the chipsets are cheap and nasty.

I would cough up for a Synology, QNAP or Drobo.

Or, a quality USB 3.0 dock with bare drives. Just be patient when powering them down - allow the heads to park and the platters to stop before removing them.

Feb 23, 2017 at 01:46 AM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · External Hard Drives

Keiththom wrote:
sjms: I have no Idea what an "OTC boxed external drive," is?

I've just been getting stock WD drives such as this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Book-Desktop-External-Drive-WDBBGB0060HBK-NESN/dp/B01LQQHKZY/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1487807157&sr=8-19&keywords=western+digital+external+hard+drive

The cheap enclosures are failing, not the drives.

Feb 23, 2017 at 01:51 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · External Hard Drives

Paul Mo wrote:
I haven't had great experiences with OEM enclosures like that WD linked to at Amazon. I suspect the chipsets are cheap and nasty.

I would cough up for a Synology, QNAP or Drobo.

Or, a quality USB 3.0 dock with bare drives. Just be patient when powering them down - allow the heads to park and the platters to stop before removing them.

OWC

Feb 23, 2017 at 04:11 AM
whizkid313

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · External Hard Drives

Look into "G drives." G - Technology with Thunderbolt or 3.0.

"Lacie drives" are also suppose to be a performance drive.

http://www.videoguys.com/shop/storage.html

Feb 23, 2017 at 05:10 AM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · External Hard Drives

I used to just by whatever drives were cheapest (I still do when I need a large/temporary dump drive when traveling), especially after having a couple Lacie drives go bad on me.

Now if I'm buying a drive that I want to last for any decent amount of time I buy a G-Drive. They're expensive, but worth it. The enclosures are top notch - when it comes to circuit boards, power supplies, and cooling, this is important. And they only use the highest quality enterprise-grade Hitachi drives. I have a couple that are past 8 years of everyday, heavy use with no ill effects.

Everyone will have horror stories about every different brand (and I'm sure G-Technology isn't immune to that), and the reality is that 90% of the drives out there are probably fine for 90% of users. But like everything else, if you truly want the best, you gotta pay for it.

Feb 23, 2017 at 05:29 AM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · External Hard Drives

Backblaze, and online backup site, uses, literally, tens of thousands of hard drives. Mostly consumer models. Then, they post reports of failures. Below is a link to one of their most recent reports. The gist is ... HGST.

Peace,

Todd

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-q1-2016/

Feb 23, 2017 at 05:33 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password