Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

EM-1.2 Electronic Shutter - Understanding the Distortion ...

James Farrell
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · EM-1.2 Electronic Shutter - Understanding the Distortion Issue?

In the month that Iíve owned the EM-1.2 and a handful of Oly Pro m4/3 lenses (300/4 Pro, 40-150/2.8 Pro and others), I become quite fond of the electronic shutter (sequential low) in order to mitigate any vibration that might affect image sharpness (I lived with mirror slap and shutter vibration for 10 years with my Nikon gear which I am happily retiring.) However, I admit to not understanding some of the EM-1.2 nuances and when to look for potential pitfalls of the silent mode, i.e., distortion from rolling shutter effect. And I donít understand whether the anit-shock mode is any different with regards to the rolling shutter effect.

Perhaps I am overly concerned about the problem given my style of shooting. After all, I am NOT a birds in flight shooter and I donít shoot sports. I do like to shoot wildlife and do so at long focal lengths. However, fast action for me is a lumbering moose or bull elk running across a field. And maybe on occasion a flock of SandHill Cranes that fly mostly in a constant direction and speed. So, what Iíd like to know is:
1. Is the rolling shutter effect caused by too slow a shutter speed?
2. Or, by quick panning motion (and how fast does that panning have to be to cause the issue)?
3. And/or by fast subject motion - and what do you consider to be fast enough to cause the problem to be visible?
4. Any particular focus settings (i.e. tracking)?

I know some real world testing will provide some answers. That said, Iím trying to get my arms around some of the root causes and when one needs to be on the lookout for the rolling shutter distortion issue. Iíve seen posts where some users just pooh-pooh the whole issue and say theyíve never had the problem. And others make a big deal of it. Looking for some feedback based on your experiences. Thanks.

Feb 22, 2017 at 05:19 PM
bengeo

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · EM-1.2 Electronic Shutter - Understanding the Distortion Issue?

The sensor read out is much faster on this model and reviewers and users don't seem to be reporting any problems in normal usage. I use it with birds in flight all the time with no problems. If you want to see the rolling shutter effect then take photos of moving propellers or helicopter rotor blades.

Feb 22, 2017 at 06:34 PM
James Farrell
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · EM-1.2 Electronic Shutter - Understanding the Distortion Issue?

bengeo wrote:
The sensor read out is much faster on this model and reviewers and users don't seem to be reporting any problems in normal usage. I use it with birds in flight all the time with no problems. If you want to see the rolling shutter effect then take photos of moving propellers or helicopter rotor blades.

Good to know. Does shutter speed have any effect? And I assume that one could add hummingbird wings to the list of rolling shutter examples.

Feb 22, 2017 at 06:36 PM
bengeo

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · EM-1.2 Electronic Shutter - Understanding the Distortion Issue?

James Farrell wrote:
Does shutter speed have any effect?

I haven't experimented to that extent yet. I normally shoot propeller planes around 1/200 to get the props blurred, so I guess they could still be just blurred. But faster shutter speeds should definitely show rolling shutter.

Feb 22, 2017 at 07:11 PM
DamC.Licks

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · EM-1.2 Electronic Shutter - Understanding the Distortion Issue?

It is definitely better than the E-M1 Mark I, but it is not entirely under control. With normal shooting it is no problem, but I shoot very long lenses, and there you can still see the rolling shutter effect. I have my BiF set configured to use the normal shutter at 12 fps, but I have a second set for more stationary subjects with the electronic shutter at 8 fps. My standard set is single shot, electronic.

Feb 22, 2017 at 07:32 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · EM-1.2 Electronic Shutter - Understanding the Distortion Issue?

Discussion on m43 Forum:

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/em1mk2-and-rolling-shutter-techo-discussion.88990/#post-971655

Feb 22, 2017 at 07:46 PM
James Farrell
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · EM-1.2 Electronic Shutter - Understanding the Distortion Issue?

bobbytan wrote:
Discussion on m43 Forum:

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/em1mk2-and-rolling-shutter-techo-discussion.88990/#post-971655

Really good link, Bobby. Thanks. From what I saw on this post, I think I need not obsess about the rolling shutter issue (except my follow up question in the next post (below).

Edited on Feb 22, 2017 at 09:27 PM · View previous versions

Feb 22, 2017 at 09:24 PM
James Farrell
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · EM-1.2 Electronic Shutter - Understanding the Distortion Issue?

bengeo wrote:
I haven't experimented to that extent yet. I normally shoot propeller planes around 1/200 to get the props blurred, so I guess they could still be just blurred. But faster shutter speeds should definitely show rolling shutter.

This is the part that has me somewhat stumpted and one of the reason why I posted about this issue ... why would a FASTER shutter speed more likely show rolling shutter?

Feb 22, 2017 at 09:26 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · EM-1.2 Electronic Shutter - Understanding the Distortion Issue?

Further discussion/info here ....

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/480720-rolling-shutter-high-shutter-speed.html

http://www.diyphotography.net/everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-rolling-shutter/

James Farrell wrote:
This is the part that has me somewhat stumpted and one of the reason why I posted about this issue ... why would a FASTER shutter speed more likely show rolling shutter?

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:18 PM
James Farrell
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · EM-1.2 Electronic Shutter - Understanding the Distortion Issue?

Thanks again Bobby. Beginning to make some sense now.

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gary0319
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · EM-1.2 Electronic Shutter - Understanding the Distortion Issue?

James Farrell wrote:

I shoot electronic shutter at 18fps almost exclusively for Birds in Flight. I use shutter speeds of 1/2000, 1/2500 and 1/3200 and I see no "jello" effect at all. Maybe I just don't know what I'm looking for.

E-M1 II, PL 100-400 C-AF, 1/3200, 400mm, f/6.3, ISO 800

Olympus E-M1 II, PanLeica 100-400, C-AF, 1/2500 sec

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:30 PM
DamC.Licks

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · EM-1.2 Electronic Shutter - Understanding the Distortion Issue?

You really only notice it if panning past something like straight trees or a building. I would think plane prop would also be a bit bent if the shutter speed is too high. The jello effect has nothing to do with the shutter speed as such. It is caused by the read speed of the sensor, about 1/60 on the Mark II and 1/15 on the I

Feb 23, 2017 at 06:17 PM
James Farrell
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · EM-1.2 Electronic Shutter - Understanding the Distortion Issue?

DamC.Licks wrote:
You really only notice it if panning past something like straight trees or a building. I would think plane prop would also be a bit bent if the shutter speed is too high. The jello effect has nothing to do with the shutter speed as such. It is caused by the read speed of the sensor, about 1/60 on the Mark II and 1/15 on the I

Thanks. Good info. I find the electronic shutter to be a huge benefit to me in that I can hand hold and shoot at long focal lengths at a much lower shutter speed, resulting in a much lower ISO than I can with my Nikon D500 and the long lenses that I've used. Nice to learn that I should be able to avoid the rolling shutter effect most of the time if I avoid some of the scenarios outlined in this and other threads.

Feb 23, 2017 at 06:24 PM
DamC.Licks

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · EM-1.2 Electronic Shutter - Understanding the Distortion Issue?

James,
There is another HUGE advantage to it...
Summer before last I was in a hide about an hour away from Hamburg, Germany. I had my Canon 400 on my E-M1(only MF back then) and was eying a nice Gray Heron, waiting for him to come out from behind some reeds. Next to me was a well healed elderly couple from Hamburg with matching D-800s and 80-400s, both resting their lenses on the wooden window sills of the hide. When the bird finally came into view, I was able to get this shot off with the electronic shutter...

... before they both cut loose at max fps, like a couple of machine guns, the wooden hide resonating beautifully. Needless to say the heron took off in a flap. I thanked them politely for their consideration and left.
Even here in our garden it is great. We have had a number of Black Redstarts around, but I was never able to get good shots of them. They are very shy and sensitive to sound and movement. But last summer I was able to park my butt against a wall and wait till they came for a drink, and shoot away at my hearts content, silent shutter, naturally.

All Canon 400/5.6 on E-M1.
I feel that the electronic (silent) shutter is greatly improved on the E-M1 II and is in fact one of the main reasons I bought it.

Edited on Feb 23, 2017 at 07:31 PM · View previous versions

Feb 23, 2017 at 07:11 PM
James Farrell
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · EM-1.2 Electronic Shutter - Understanding the Distortion Issue?

Nice images. And a good reaccounting of your experience in the hide. Where I live I am blessed to have a vibrant population of hummingbirds (I am in the mountains of Arizona) that visit my deck feeder. There are often very entertaining fights among the hummers for feeding rights. I am looking forward to using the silent shutter as they simply do not like the mirror slap of my Nikon gear. They bolt upon hearing the first shutter click. I will likely see some rolling shutter effects, but I am sure I'll get some good images too.

Feb 23, 2017 at 07:17 PM
k-h.a.w
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · EM-1.2 Electronic Shutter - Understanding the Distortion Issue?

At 400% enlargement, to me the propellers seem to look a bit funny, no?

E-M1.2 + 150/2.0 @ f/2.8, ISO 200, 1/8,000s, C-AF Silent low.

K-H.

Feb 23, 2017 at 07:22 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · EM-1.2 Electronic Shutter - Understanding the Distortion Issue?

Not to me. There is obviously more blur on the propellor than on the plane itself, and that's what I am seeing i.e. I don't think this is effect of the rolling shutter.

k-h.a.w wrote:
At 400% enlargement, to me the propellers seem to look a bit funny, no?
https://photos.smugmug.com/KHW/Pics-by-Date/2017-02-22-E-M121502-SHG-Backyard-Birds-Cranes/i-8zxxcRm/0/O/_2220252%20Airplane%20flying_400%25_enlarged_1360x1360.jpg
E-M1.2 + 150/2.0 @ f/2.8, ISO 200, 1/8,000s, C-AF Silent low.

K-H.

Feb 23, 2017 at 07:29 PM
k-h.a.w
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · EM-1.2 Electronic Shutter - Understanding the Distortion Issue?

Do the right wing feathers of the bird to the right look a bit funny?

E-M1.2 + 150/2.0 @ f/2, ISO 200, 1/2,500s, S-AF Silent low.

Feb 23, 2017 at 07:29 PM
DamC.Licks

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · EM-1.2 Electronic Shutter - Understanding the Distortion Issue?

That could be.... but nothing like what can happen with a Mark I!

Feb 23, 2017 at 07:34 PM
k-h.a.w
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · EM-1.2 Electronic Shutter - Understanding the Distortion Issue?

Thanks Bobby and Dam.
Once the Hummingbirds are back in April then the effect should become more obvious.

K-H.

Feb 23, 2017 at 07:41 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password