New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · [SOLVED]Paste recipe to multiple images DPP4

dhphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · [SOLVED]Paste recipe to multiple images DPP4

I'm starting to use DPP4 for more serious work now I have a faster pc.

Anyone know how to paste a 'recipe' to multiple images? You could do it in DPP3 but I can't see how to do it in DPP4

Would save me a lot of time

Edited on Feb 24, 2017 at 03:51 AM · View previous versions

Feb 22, 2017 at 02:27 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · [SOLVED]Paste recipe to multiple images DPP4

I just opened DPP4 for kicks. Yes, you can copy and paste recipes from the Edit Menu and there are keyboard shortcuts for those functions, but I could not find a way to select more than one thumbnail at a time to past in to. The image display also jumped from 50% to 200% with no 100% option. Weird. There's a reason I use CaptureOne, where all of these functions are so easily done - with only a couple of clicks, and with far better results to boot. That DPP still has the clunkiest interface I've ever seen.

Feb 22, 2017 at 03:53 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · [SOLVED]Paste recipe to multiple images DPP4

I thought not. It's a shame because DLO is one of the biggest improvements I have found you can make to a RAW file - especially one with an average lens which makes DPP appealing.

A very silly oversight by Canon if there really is no way to batch-add the recipe

Edit: there is a very clunky way of doing it I have found (by RTFM), you can save the recipe in a file and then in thumbnail view you can load that recipe to all or selected images from the file. Not very streamlined but it's something

Feb 22, 2017 at 04:09 AM
jrhoffman75
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · [SOLVED]Paste recipe to multiple images DPP4

Doesn't seem any different than Lightroom. Create and save a custom preset and then control-click selections and then select a LR preset.

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:29 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · [SOLVED]Paste recipe to multiple images DPP4

dhphoto wrote:
I thought not. It's a shame because DLO is one of the biggest improvements I have found you can make to a RAW file - especially one with an average lens which makes DPP appealing.

A very silly oversight by Canon if there really is no way to batch-add the recipe

What do you expect for free?

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:32 AM
Craig Zendel

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · [SOLVED]Paste recipe to multiple images DPP4

Hi dhphoto,

In either Main Window or Edit Image Window, select file from which you wish to copy your recipe (can be from thumbnail).

Edit>Copy recipe or Copy selected recipe depending on your requirements.

Stay in or return to Main View Window>Select files you wish to paste recipe to (usual OS method)>Edit>Paste recipe.

Done.

You're getting there!

Regards,

CraigZ

Edited on Feb 22, 2017 at 12:59 PM · View previous versions

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:03 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · [SOLVED]Paste recipe to multiple images DPP4

I noticed the newest DPP 4 finally supports 20D and 40D RAW! And the default profiles are excellent, much better than the ACR versions. My ancient 10D RAW doesn't open in DPP4 yet...

After copying the adjustment recipe, shift click the thumbs of the images you wish to apply to and paste recipe. It's surprisingly fast even with large groups of images.

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:24 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · [SOLVED]Paste recipe to multiple images DPP4

jrhoffman75 wrote:
Doesn't seem any different than Lightroom. Create and save a custom preset and then control-click selections and then select a LR preset.

It is completely different from Lightroom

You can add presets to groups of files, you can have a preset automatically loaded when you bring files in to the Catalog, LR is incredibly versatile for this.

Feb 22, 2017 at 01:23 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · [SOLVED]Paste recipe to multiple images DPP4

Craig Zendel wrote:
Hi dhphoto,

In either Main Window or Edit Image Window, select file from which you wish to copy your recipe (can be from thumbnail).

Edit>Copy recipe or Copy selected recipe depending on your requirements.

Stay in or return to Main View Window>Select files you wish to paste recipe to (usual OS method)>Edit>Paste recipe.

Done.

You're getting there!

Regards,

CraigZ

Yes, that works, much easier. Thanks

But how do you do that while remaining in the edit window? If I could do that then I'd be largely sorted but AFAIK you can't multi-select files from the thumbnail row/column

BTW none of this is in the manual, well not the one I have

Feb 22, 2017 at 01:27 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · [SOLVED]Paste recipe to multiple images DPP4

Gochugogi wrote:
I noticed the newest DPP 4 finally supports 20D and 40D RAW! And the default profiles are excellent, much better than the ACR versions. My ancient 10D RAW doesn't open in DPP4 yet...

After copying the adjustment recipe, shift click the thumbs of the images you wish to apply to and paste recipe. It's surprisingly fast even with large groups of images.

Yes, it's great the old cameras are starting to be supported but for some reason I can't use DLO with the older ones, for example old holiday RAW files taken with my 20D and 24-85mm, which would hugely benefit from DLO can't use it, it says lens data not available, even though the profile is downloaded and installed

The other thing I have found is a very useful full screen mode, with no toolbars, but is it possible to have full screen and just the main toolbar as an overlay a-la photoshop (or DPP3)? That would be great.

Feb 22, 2017 at 01:42 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · [SOLVED]Paste recipe to multiple images DPP4

For using DLO with older devices, I believe the key is that a Canon "DLO profile" for the lens is required, and that takes a fair bit of work by Canon. So, I bet the issue is the old 24-85 lens. It would be great if every old thing was supported in DPP, and I am very glad they added the latest batch of old cameras, but you will likely never get DLO on old lenses.

Feb 22, 2017 at 02:10 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · [SOLVED]Paste recipe to multiple images DPP4

Just make your adjustments and select Edit - save recipe in a file. Shift/click (Mac) and to select all the files you want adjusted and select Edit - read and paste recipe from file then select the file.

It takes a about 7seconds for DLO to do its thing and about 36 seconds to process a file when I tested individually. I tried to do this with about 80 files with DLO selected and tried to convert and save for all of the them. It told me about and hour and 20 minutes.

I think the way DLO works because of what it actually does but with careful basic work in LR's Detail palette you can do well. It may not be true deconvolution as there is some sharpening involved. I found recently found out that the detail slider suppresses halos from 0-50 and and gets into deconvolution from 50 to 100 but there is no halo suppression.

Kinda of a shame DPP is so slow. I wish DPP had a place in the preferences to auto apply DLO. I set up a "save recipe in a file" for it and Distortion and Color Blurs. Too bad even that takes a long time for multiple files.

Feb 22, 2017 at 02:15 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · [SOLVED]Paste recipe to multiple images DPP4

As someone who simply hated DPP4 it is slowly growing into a useful program, DLO makes a difference and the absence of the Catalog is great. Open up a file you worked on and it's just where you left it

Since I changed to an SSD drive it's faster but still much slower then LR, especially things like the clone tool which is a total slug. If we could select files from the thumbnail strip and paste the recipe it would be great

But I have to admit I am beginning to prefer DPP4 for flesh tones, plus DLO does marvels for my less great STM lenses

Feb 22, 2017 at 02:33 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · [SOLVED]Paste recipe to multiple images DPP4

Roland W wrote:
For using DLO with older devices, I believe the key is that a Canon "DLO profile" for the lens is required, and that takes a fair bit of work by Canon. So, I bet the issue is the old 24-85 lens. It would be great if every old thing was supported in DPP, and I am very glad they added the latest batch of old cameras, but you will likely never get DLO on old lenses.

The 24-85 is supported by DLO, just not when mounted on a 20D (at least)

Feb 22, 2017 at 02:36 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · [SOLVED]Paste recipe to multiple images DPP4

Makes a hell of a difference with any of the consumer lenses to be sure; I'll definitely be using it more for critical work with the EF-M lenses.

Feb 22, 2017 at 02:51 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · [SOLVED]Paste recipe to multiple images DPP4

johnctharp wrote:
Makes a hell of a difference with any of the consumer lenses to be sure; I'll definitely be using it more for critical work with the EF-M lenses.

Yes I recently went away with an 80D and 10-18 and 18-55 STM lenses and the difference achievable with DLO in DPP4 was just amazing, particularly in the corners, it just kept getting better and better. That's what turned me onto DPP4 and made me upgrade my hardware.

It's also what has convinced me I don't need big expensive lenses to travel with

Feb 22, 2017 at 03:06 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · [SOLVED]Paste recipe to multiple images DPP4

dhphoto wrote:
As someone who simply hated DPP4 it is slowly growing into a useful program, DLO makes a difference and the absence of the Catalog is great. Open up a file you worked on and it's just where you left it

Since I changed to an SSD drive it's faster but still much slower then LR, especially things like the clone tool which is a total slug. If we could select files from the thumbnail strip and paste the recipe it would be great

But I have to admit I am beginning to prefer DPP4 for flesh tones, plus DLO does marvels for
...Show more

DLO does make a difference but have you tried unchecking the sharpness settings before applying it as Canon recommends. Now compare that to your best settings in the detail palette in LR/ACR. Now you are comparing the capture sharpening phase for both at an equal level. You would need to make sure distortion is either off or on for both. If DLO is applied then CA should be as well using LR/ACR

I thought it was outstanding when I was testing but made the mistake of comparing with sharpness settings on and compared to LR/ACR before applying output sharpening. I know there is more to it than just sharpening.

I have been able to get Adobe the skin tones pretty close Canon. I got off DPP when I got tired of long multiple file edits that wound up in PS for additional editing. I used LR for that and played around with PS and DPP for hobby shots but finally stopped using DPP except for culling.

Since getting my 5D4 I have been experimenting with DPP again but I'll still use both.

Feb 22, 2017 at 07:04 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · [SOLVED]Paste recipe to multiple images DPP4

Fair enough but you would have to turn sharpening off in LR as well, as it defaults to 25 to get an honest comparison

The main gain in DLO I have found is in the corners where the data just improves much more than just with sharpening

Feb 23, 2017 at 02:36 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · [SOLVED]Paste recipe to multiple images DPP4

That is true. DLO does more but it also compensates for the anti aliasing filter which is what LR/ACR does in the detail palette. What I like about DLO is it does this without sharpening thus noise is not increased and no halos. The detail slider between 0 and 50 using LR/ACR is halo suppression. ACR/LR uses sharpening to compensate for the anti aliasing filter.

That is why I compare them as they both do the same thing for capture sharpening but with different approaches. I do leave the default of 25 just as I let DLO default to 50 when I compare. I believe turning the sharpening off on LR/ACR would be an unfair test. If you turn sharpening off in DPP then neither will have output sharpening applied, only capture.

Feb 23, 2017 at 09:57 AM
Craig Zendel

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · [SOLVED]Paste recipe to multiple images DPP4

dhphoto wrote:
Yes, that works, much easier. Thanks

But how do you do that while remaining in the edit window? If I could do that then I'd be largely sorted but AFAIK you can't multi-select files from the thumbnail row/column

BTW none of this is in the manual, well not the one I have

There is a potential workaround that may suit you.

In the Main Window, bottom left, is a block of three icons. These are for 'layout' (hover over them with your cursor and their function should display). The default is 'thumbnail layout'. If you select one of the others 'multi-layout', you can then select from the thumbnails and copy/paste a recipe.

Incidentally, Canon Europe have recently started a series of weekly DPP4 tutorials that you may find useful: Canon Europe DPP4 Tutorials by George Cairns

HTH

CraigZ

Feb 23, 2017 at 11:30 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.