New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · PSA: Lock the 'biner on your blackrapid strap or suffer my fate

ultimaterowdy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · PSA: Lock the 'biner on your blackrapid strap or suffer my fate

I've only used the blackrapid strap a dozen times... it was working well for me until THUD my 5D3+24-70 hit the basketball floor after ~3+ ft drop. Upon inspection, it was clear that I had neglected to lock the 'biner. Don't be like me. I have insurance, thank goodness... the lens' barrel is dented and front element got scarred. (back to Canon the lens + body go tomorrow for inspection/repair/replacement??)

Others lock it or don't lock it??

Feb 22, 2017 at 02:09 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · PSA: Lock the 'biner on your blackrapid strap or suffer my fate

Always locked and with a small black cord lanyard as back up.

Feb 22, 2017 at 03:14 AM
Ming-Tzu
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · PSA: Lock the 'biner on your blackrapid strap or suffer my fate

Always lock it and checking to make sure the threaded part is hooked to the camera nice and tight. Paranoid about that stuff.

Feb 22, 2017 at 05:21 AM
Eric Larsen
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · PSA: Lock the 'biner on your blackrapid strap or suffer my fate

Do you mean lock in terms of screwing the carabiner threaded thing into a locked position or locking by using a Lockstar?

I ask because I have a BRS but haven't yet used it so I'm not entirely familiar with what you mean.

Feb 22, 2017 at 08:10 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · PSA: Lock the 'biner on your blackrapid strap or suffer my fate

replaced the entire product years ago with something designed better and that actually worked well.

Feb 22, 2017 at 08:24 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · PSA: Lock the 'biner on your blackrapid strap or suffer my fate

sjms wrote:
replaced the entire product years ago with something designed better and that actually worked well.

...and that was

Feb 22, 2017 at 09:45 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · PSA: Lock the 'biner on your blackrapid strap or suffer my fate

what I did was bring together 2 different outfits parts.
the CLoop from Custom SLR and my favorite stap at the time the Luma Labs Luma loop.
I disliked 2 part setups that required one to remain on the camera and get in the way of things like my AS clamp and such. these require an adapter or removal during other operations as separate parts.

the CLoop simply screws on and once in place stays in place until its removal and is technically part of the strap and less likely to go lost on you. it will not back off because it rotates on a separate bearing surface and requires you with thought unscrew it. I have been using it for over 6 years this way.
this is not a slider on webbing setup. you rotate the entire strap with little effort when you grab your camera. in addition it gives you better control over said camera lens setup when its at your side. I can easily adjust/vary length when needed for extra clothing and or easier movement. pretty customizable overall. has never had an issue.

now if one wants the all in one slider and everything done for you package just go to "sunsniper" which is based on the concept I use. much better the BR. so much so BR attempted to try to litigate them out. but failed.

now that RRS is including a QD slot in their most recent plates that I happen to use I also have a Magpul strap which works really well but is somewhat heavier. it is based on the QD ball lock.

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:06 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.