FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · You've heard the top-end Tripods, I need the lower-end

nma
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · You've heard the top-end Tripods, I need the lower-end

billsamuels wrote:
I have a Sunpak aluminum tripod that always worked great for the past two years I had it, but when I got to the ocean to take timed photos during a storm on the Pacific Coast this weekend, the plate brook off from the crank that raises and lowers the unit. This is the plate that the head rests on. I'm very glad it broke in my car and not after I placed a couple thousand in equipment on it.

I also had problems with the original head because that broke almost right away. I tried reaching someone from Sunpak,
...Show more

Hi Bill,

Your original post stated that you were concerned about weight and breakage. Now, I read you are going to get the Manfrotto 6 lb beast that cannot fit in an ordinary suitcase. All because a couple responders have crapped on Chinese tripods. I agree that the Sunpak and Velbon low end tripods are not good quality at all. But brands like Feisol are of much higher quality. You saw the many endorsements of the Feisol line on the web but now you are accepting the ideas of a couple of posters who may have had a bad experience or are just expressing a bias. If your criterion is that the Manfrotto can be abused more than a well made carbon fiber tripod, then that is the way to go. If you are never going to be more than a few feet form your car, the Manfrotto is OK. But as a general purpose tripod, it is impractical and obsolete. Having a tripod like the Manfrotto means that it is more likely that you won't use it. I have used the Feisol 3442 for more than 5 years. It has not been laying in my closet. It has been used extensively in all kinds of conditions: rain, snow, mud, sand, even in Iceland. No problems at all.

Feb 24, 2017 at 08:22 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · You've heard the top-end Tripods, I need the lower-end

I did take and switched over all my heads to the arca Swiss style quick release plates. I did have a lplate for my Bogen it wasn't much different from my plate for the arca Swiss setups hard to get to the items under the plate.

Feb 25, 2017 at 01:56 AM
Twistedimg
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · You've heard the top-end Tripods, I need the lower-end

This is an interesting discussion for in my opinion. I see all the talk and people buying expensive tripods, too expensive for me, so always curious.

Short story, when I first started into photography 15 years ago I salvaged a Bogen 3001 tripod from the garbage, got the small repair part, slapped a Manfrotto 322rc2 grip head on it, and have been using it ever since. It has always treated me super well, always stable, and no matter what camera kit I'm using at that time that tripod setup has treated me well. It has always held a little nostalgia for me and I often see people looking at it because it stands out so different and "old" compared to the new ones they are using. (Much like when I break out my Winchester Defender 1300 in a 3 gun match full of Remington 870's. No one can figure out what it is or why it works because it doesn't say Remington 870 on it.)

I was at a location the other morning with one other photog I never met prior. He had a nice newer looking possibly CF tripod that was a bit too short. He was struggling a little to get the shot and in discussion I asked if he ever wished he had a heavier tripod. His response, "Very often." Said his biggest complaint was in the rivers the lightweight one didn't handle vibrations from the water as well. We chuckled understanding it is a give and take situation.

Last year I was looking for a lightweight inexpensive tripod for hiking. Lots of people recommended a Silk tripod as it was both lightweight and inexpensive. As I started looking at them online, actually getting as far as putting one in my cart to purchase, I realized I already owned one. This setup to be exact: http://www.precisionriflesolutions.com/apps/webstore/products/show/839380

It was what I packed with me on long range precision rifle matches. It had treated me well for that. I have had some great hits on target at distance using it including a great run of a loophole stage last year. Needless to say it became a double duty tripod. I use it for both rifle competitions and change out the mount to a RC2 style for hiking.

A couple weeks ago I got a wild hair to try something different, had some Best Buy points and gift cards, so used them to pick up a MeFoto Roadtrip. Ordered up an L bracket so I go dive into this world of Arca to see what all the fuss was about. The Manfrotto RC2 system has treated me real well, the grip ball head is fast and awesome, but with all the hate they get online I had to try and see if there was really better. The jury is still out on that.

Plus I can now dedicate the "old" sturdy manfrotto setup with a different saddle to handle my heavy precision rifle and use the Mefoto for everything else. I may just sell the Slik or give it to someone who can use it.

My trusty tried and true setup.
http://www.jacobcarrollphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/20170211_163041-e1486930810367-576x1024.jpg

The new Mefoto Roadtrip setup
http://www.jacobcarrollphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/20170222_172829-e1488043558126.jpg

My long lens
http://www.jacobcarrollphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/260.jpg

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:23 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · You've heard the top-end Tripods, I need the lower-end

In the early 90s I used the 300/2.8 on the 3001 and it was an exercise in vibration.

EBH

Feb 25, 2017 at 02:19 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · You've heard the top-end Tripods, I need the lower-end

nma wrote:
One should consider adapting these tripod heads to the Arca Swiss clamp favored by most high end manufacturers. In addition, the Manfrotto head usually employs a piece of cork or rubber to provide a friction grip between the head and the base of the camera. This is a joke! It is a point of severe vulnerability for these types of support systems. These systems rely on a single mounting bolt and the friction grip to prevent camera rotation. A custom body plate or L-bracket is currently the best approach to this problem..

I agree. I would buy the tripod without the legs. While Manfrotto does have a great heavy duty head--the 3047, it is much heavier than is needed for any DSLR. I would buy the 3021 legs and then add an Arca/Swiss QR type head. I use L-plates on all my DSLR, including the little D5300. They make life so much simpler.

Kent in SD

Feb 25, 2017 at 03:59 PM
jharter
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · You've heard the top-end Tripods, I need the lower-end

"I agree. I would buy the tripod without the legs..."

I would advise against buying a tripod without the legs.

Seriously, the Manfrotto/Bogen aluminum tripods are good value tanks as tripods go. The 3221 models are solid enough and durable. I bought one recently off eBay just to have on hand - cost me $60 including shipping.

Someone asked about Sirui. Sirui makes good tripods. I have a little 5-section carbon fiber travel tripod which is very nice for what it is. Not something to put the 400/5.6 on but an excellent travel tripod. Heavier than comparable Feisol tripods though. They make aluminum versions of most models which are very reasonably priced.

Feb 26, 2017 at 08:38 PM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · You've heard the top-end Tripods, I need the lower-end

jharter wrote:
"I agree. I would buy the tripod without the legs..."

I would advise against buying a tripod without the legs.

Seriously, the Manfrotto/Bogen aluminum tripods are good value tanks as tripods go. The 3221 models are solid enough and durable. I bought one recently off eBay just to have on hand - cost me $60 including shipping.

Someone asked about Sirui. Sirui makes good tripods. I have a little 5-section carbon fiber travel tripod which is very nice for what it is. Not something to put the 400/5.6 on but an excellent travel tripod. Heavier than comparable Feisol tripods though. They make aluminum
...Show more

I asked about the Sirui and it's good to know then that they're not good for putting a 400mm lens on it. I switched my idea to the Manfrotto 3221 because the first tripod I had was my dad's heavy-duty 1960's aluminum tripod and it lasted forever! It had a head permanently attached which moved three different ways, spun around, went up and down, and sideways. I thought I was getting a good strong tripod with the Sunpak, but obviously the plate connection part wasn't so heavy-duty! That's why I'm now interested in the Manfroto 3221, because it sounds like a rugged tripod that I don't have to worry about replacing because the plate attached to the tripod breaks on the way to a shoot.

I have a light weight travel tripod, so I don't need another one and if the Sirui is that kind of light weight unit, forget it.

Feb 27, 2017 at 01:05 PM
Steve Brandt
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · You've heard the top-end Tripods, I need the lower-end

I just picked up a Sirui W2204 which is rated for around 40lbs of weight. carbon fiber and water proof. just as stable or more so than my Slik pro 700dx but much more compact. Its a little out of your budget though as just the legs goes for over $300.

I am thinking of selling my Slik with the Sirui k30 head(super heavy duty) so if you are interested let me know. The Slik is great cuz it extends super tall(I am over 6' 4" so its one of the few that extends that high) and also can go quite low.

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:38 AM
nma
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · You've heard the top-end Tripods, I need the lower-end

Hi Steve,

Why did you buy the Sirui W2204 when you already have the Slik 700dx? It would be interesting for this discussion to understand your thinking on this replacement.

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:58 AM
Steve Brandt
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · You've heard the top-end Tripods, I need the lower-end

nma wrote:
Hi Steve,

Why did you buy the Sirui W2204 when you already have the Slik 700dx? It would be interesting for this discussion to understand your thinking on this replacement.

Hey. So i am taking a trip to Iceland and i wanted a tripod that was lighter(its 2lbs lighter) and also more compact(i think 6 inches shorter than the Slik folded up) also one that had spiked feet. Though i wish the Sirui had spiked feet that were retractable, it has removable ones so thats OK. The Sirui fits the bill. its light, it expands to within an inch or so of max height of my Slik and also its able to flip the legs around to go super low really quick. The Slik tripod has the ability to flip its post around to go really low but it is a chore doing so. Sirui also has a leg that is detachable which allows it to become a monopod, i dont know i will use super often but as they say "better to have and not need, than to need and not have" haha.

Anyway so far its been a wonderful switch, anyone who has questions about it I would love to answer

Feb 28, 2017 at 09:40 AM
Mark Oberle

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · You've heard the top-end Tripods, I need the lower-end

Hi...I don't spend much time on FM...this might be my first post. Anyway I have the Manfrotto 3021BPRO...bought it new over 10 years ago. It's been trouble free the whole time. I shoot a Nikon d7100 with a Nikon 200-500. When I got the 200-500 I put a Sirui K40X on the Manfrotto, L Bracket on the camera and basically converted to the acra plate system. Lately I've been wondering if the Manfrotto 3021 is stable enough for the 200-500. I've been looking at Sirui, Benro, Feisol, and a few others...but after seeing some of the comments here...maybe I'm better off staying with what I have. I'd hate to spend $400 and be taking a step backwards. Any thoughts??

Mar 01, 2017 at 05:18 PM
sscott

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · You've heard the top-end Tripods, I need the lower-end

I needed a tripod for travel and just general use. I didn't want cheap or something real expensive, so I ended up purchasing a MeFoto BackPacker.

It's light, sturdy, and not too expensive.

Mar 04, 2017 at 07:30 AM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · You've heard the top-end Tripods, I need the lower-end

I just got a Manfrotto 3221 from KEH (they don't make new ones anymore) and I see why so many of you got rid of them - they're TANKS! This is NOT a lightweight tripod by any means. Even though the maximum weight you supposedly can place on it is only 13.2 lbs, it feels like I could sit on it w/o a problem. I'm re-thinking whether I want to keep it or return it and get a Sirui that's light weight and will hold about the same weight w/better alloy aluminum metals.

Mar 07, 2017 at 06:10 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · You've heard the top-end Tripods, I need the lower-end

In your original post you said your criteria was (1) cheap (2) durable. The Bogen/Manfrotto is both. The lighter travel aluminum tripods (I have one--Benro A0269) are shaky and very prone to vibration. The carbon tripods are noticeably more solid and much less vibration, but even used they are not cheap. It's the old, "Cheap, lightweignt, solid--pick any two." A good used CF tripod that is solid, lightweight (3 lbs or less) is going to run $300, plus head. I am looking at buying a used travel tripod this month to replace the Benro, and am budgeting about $300 since I already have a first class AcraTech head.

Kent in SD

Mar 07, 2017 at 06:57 PM
nma
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · You've heard the top-end Tripods, I need the lower-end

billsamuels wrote:
I just got a Manfrotto 3221 from KEH (they don't make new ones anymore) and I see why so many of you got rid of them - they're TANKS! This is NOT a lightweight tripod by any means. Even though the maximum weight you supposedly can place on it is only 13.2 lbs, it feels like I could sit on it w/o a problem. I'm re-thinking whether I want to keep it or return it and get a Sirui that's light weight and will hold about the same weight w/better alloy aluminum metals.

Hi Bill,

Earlier in this discussion I wrote this: "Hi Bill,

Your original post stated that you were concerned about weight and breakage. Now, I read you are going to get the Manfrotto 6 lb beast that cannot fit in an ordinary suitcase. All because a couple of responders have crapped on Chinese tripods. I agree that the Sunpak and Velbon low end tripods are not good quality at all. But brands like Feisol are of much higher quality. You saw the many endorsements of the Feisol line on the web but now you are accepting the ideas of a couple of posters who may have had a bad experience or are just expressing a bias. If your criterion is that the Manfrotto can be abused more than a well made carbon fiber tripod, then that is the way to go. If you are never going to be more than a few feet form your car, the Manfrotto is OK. But as a general purpose tripod, it is impractical and obsolete. Having a tripod like the Manfrotto means that it is more likely that you won't use it. I have used the Feisol 3442 for more than 5 years. It has not been laying in my closet. It has been used extensively in all kinds of conditions: rain, snow, mud, sand, even in Iceland. No problems at all."

And now you have seen for yourself how impractical are these old fashioned aluminum tripods for general purpose photography. Why not give the Feisol 3442 a chance? Whatever you decide to do, keep in mind that the tripod is just part of the chain needed to provide stable support for your camera and lens. Accordingly, you will need an appropriate head and mounting plates. Consider this as a package before taking the leap. If you are going to mount lenses like a 100-400 zoom, you will want to consider using the 3442 without a center column. This is quite practical if your not much over 6 feet tall.

Mar 08, 2017 at 10:44 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.