New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · G85 focus and lens compatibility

VINCET
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · G85 focus and lens compatibility

I am thinking of getting a Lumix G85 in place of the E-M1.2 that I just sold. Is the EVF of the G85 as good as the E-M1.2? The spec is almost the same but in use, is it as good? I find the EVF E-M1.2 and even the E-M5.2 seems to produce an image that is a bit more saturated the the actual picture. For me, the EVF seems to show a better picture than the actual picture. I also plan to use some manual focus lens and is wondering if the EVF of the Pany is good for that?

Finally, I am debating on whether to keep the Oly 25mm f1.2 and the 40-150 f2.8. Will they play well with the G85?

Thanks for any feedback.

Vince

Feb 21, 2017 at 07:32 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · G85 focus and lens compatibility

Well, I haven't owned the G85 and E-M1 at the same time, but not too far apart.
I like the EVF of the G85 and I've shot a fair amount of MF glass with it and it's just fine. Even the focus peaking works very well with my 135/2 APO Zeiss.

The color/saturation of the image of the EVF is off as has any EVF I've ever used, but I find it more than acceptable and have not tried to adjust things to get it more neutral.

Overall I like the G85 way better than the E-M1, but that's just personal preference as both are fine cameras.

You don't hear much about the G85, but I think it's the sleeper camera as it has fantastic IBIS, very very good EVF, weather sealing, and the fold-out LCD is great.

Feb 21, 2017 at 10:35 PM
VINCET
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · G85 focus and lens compatibility

jhinkey, thanks for the reply. I like the interface of the Lumix better than the Oly personally. I still have the old Lumix G1 but it is showing its age and the last time I took it out on a bright sunny day, the EVF will kind of flash once I half press the shutter button. I did not notice that when shooting indoor. Not sure what it is.

I have a few Leica glass that I plan on using with this together with some m4/3.

Do you know if IBIS works well with MF lenses?

thanks
Vince

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:29 AM
rwingsfan
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · G85 focus and lens compatibility

Vince
I wrestled with this same decision before buying your E-M1.2. I am afraid jhinkey is referring to the E-M1 original and the two can hardly be compared. From what I deduced reading all the reviews I could is that the G85 is probably a little better than the E-M1, but still a step or two behind the E-M1.2. Yes EVF are never the same as your output and I have seen that the Panasonic's tend to be even more saturated. I think if you enjoy the Panny ui you will be pleased. As I tend to shoot more wildlife the better AF-C in the Oly is what finally tipped me that direction. That and I am quite used to the convoluted Oly ui and can navigate it easily. I am sure the G85 will work quite well for manual lenses too as the peaking may even be better than the E-M1.2. These are my thought and I am still considering picking up a G85 and may have already except the grips are all on backorder and I MUST have a grip

Feb 22, 2017 at 02:08 PM
mmurph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · G85 focus and lens compatibility

This isn't a direct reply, but my general thoughts:

You can completely tune the saturation, contrast, brightness and similar of the G85 EV independently of the profile taht you choose ("Standard", "Vivid", "Flat", etc.)

For stills, when shooting RAW, I prefer to see the subject as directly and clearly as possible, so that I can respond to what is in front of my eyes. I can tweak all of the color balance, contrast, saturation and similar decisions in post, so that is not what I care about seeing in the viewfinder. I want clarity and immediacy.

So I tend to chose something like a "Flat" profile, taht shows me the maximum ampunt of shafow and highlight detail. That lets me see what I can "pull out" of the image in post. It also makes the Histogram more closely resemble the actual amount of detail in the Raw image.

You can also leave the "effects" off if you prefer. So taht the profile and other settings don't reallt effect the image in the EVF.

+++

For video, I shoot with with a very flat and open profile, so that I have the maximum information available for grading in post.

You can always "throw away" data by increasing the saturation or contrast in post. But if you try to reduce the saturation or contrast, you get "banding" or "combing", as you can't "add back" data that isn't there to begin with.

That was the same reason why I shot with Portra 160NC when I was shooting 6x7 film. I am just testing out the Cine D profile on the G85, with contrast, saturation, and sharpening turned way down (-5 in some cases.) That is similar to the Cine D profile that was introduced on the GH4.

+++

I have never shot Olympus, so I can't compare. I moved to Panasonic for 4k video a few years ago and am very happy.

I also only have a few weeks cumulative experience with the G85 , but I am very happy with it so far.

I really loved the EVF and from factor of the GX8, but it has the older shutter and no 5 Axis Stabilization, which is so critical for video. The GX8 viewfinder seems just slightly nicer than the G85, probably psychologically because of the way it tilts. I haven't been able to compare the EVF image quality side-by-side.

I loved the 5 Axis stabilization for 4K video and small size of the GX85, but it was missing a couple of features that the G85 has, especially the mic input.

The GH5 is probably the ultimate Panasonic camera right now, but I can't justify the incremental cost for my own work. I also have both Nikon and Canon DSLRs, which gets a bit complicated in managing 3 systems.

Good luck!

Feb 22, 2017 at 05:43 PM
VINCET
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · G85 focus and lens compatibility

Manual focusing with the E-M1.2 is really not that bad. I still prefer the ergonomics of the Leica SL's little joystick vs the pad. I'm surprised that Leica is the only manufacturer that offered a joystick control. It is also placed perfectly IMHO. Where I have an issue with the Oly is their complicated UI. I try my best to like it but just never meant to be. So now, I am eagerly awaiting my G85. Frankly, I probably will never touch more than 3 scene but that is just me. I'm sure others are using most of them. I like the 5 axis stabilization for the few video I take of my kids.

Feb 23, 2017 at 08:18 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.