Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Couple more

Bob

Feb 21, 2017 at 04:25 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Couple more

Your really catch some emotions here. The first seems a bit soft, like maybe the focus is on the front guys right ear. The second is nicely done.

Feb 21, 2017 at 04:44 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Couple more

I'm not a portrait guy but I have gotta say these look outstanding to me. They exude a certain powerful feeling.

After studying the first image trying to figure out why that one stands out to me, I think I figured it out.
Your choice of DOF is about as good as it gets IMHO. You have the FG man in focus and just the right amount of OOF on the second man such that the image isn't overly busy yet we can clearly see the duplicate expression of the second man.

Tones look great to me as well. Can you share how you got that look/color tone?

I have no nits to offer here at all.

Dave

Feb 21, 2017 at 07:10 PM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Couple more

As Ben notes, emotions are captured well. Whether these be of frustration, determination or resignation we are left wondering and that is good.

Feb 21, 2017 at 07:49 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Couple more

I think the angles of the peoples heads in #1 creates too much visual disorder with the our eyes not really knowing where to look. But #2 I think is very powerful. Nice gritty detail in there, and with just the one person, there is no question where the visual interest is at.

Jim

Feb 21, 2017 at 08:37 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Couple more

ben egbert wrote:
Your really catch some emotions here. The first seems a bit soft, like maybe the focus is on the front guys right ear. The second is nicely done.

---------------------------------------------

lighthound wrote:
I'm not a portrait guy but I have gotta say these look outstanding to me. They exude a certain powerful feeling.

After studying the first image trying to figure out why that one stands out to me, I think I figured it out.
Your choice of DOF is about as good as it gets IMHO. You have the FG man in focus and just the right amount of OOF on the second man such that the image isn't overly busy yet we can clearly see the duplicate expression of the second man.

Tones look great to me as well. Can
...Show more

Rick Joyce wrote:
As Ben notes, emotions are captured well. Whether these be of frustration, determination or resignation we are left wondering and that is good.

JimFox wrote:
I think the angles of the peoples heads in #1 creates too much visual disorder with the our eyes not really knowing where to look. But #2 I think is very powerful. Nice gritty detail in there, and with just the one person, there is no question where the visual interest is at.

Jim

Thanks guys,

Glad you enjoy them - the focus and intensity of this group was several notches higher than the usual. And as I mentioned previously, the diffused light helped.

I skipped #1 several times because I could not satisfactorily find a way to remove the OOF player and I thought the subject's neck presented an odd twist, easily changed with the "liquify" filter but I chose not. Obviously I went ahead with the processing trying to minimize the second player's distracting from the subject.

Still, I'm inclined to agree with Jim's comments but that said, the combined expressions do raise one's curiosity and I think add to the 'story' so it's take your pick

Prior to the match the "Sir", referee, gathers the front line of each time and goes over things they have all heard many times before. This level of focus is uncommon for that gathering. Usually there is covering the requisite subjects, small banter among the group, scratching one's self, spitting, and then off to compete.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Bob

Feb 22, 2017 at 08:37 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.