New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Case/bag for keeping gear in trunk

la puffin
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Case/bag for keeping gear in trunk

I want to keep a body or two (that's camera body) and a couple of zooms in my car's trunk. This is for every day. Is a Pelican case with the foam that I cut out the best way to go?

Feb 21, 2017 at 02:46 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Case/bag for keeping gear in trunk

Do you mean keep or transport?

If it is keep then I would bolt something into the boot like a cheap, used gun safe or lockable steel toolbox.

User beware.

Feb 21, 2017 at 06:02 AM
Ming-Tzu
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Case/bag for keeping gear in trunk

Yeah, in general, I don't like keeping valuable stuff in my car for long periods of time. If I do, I would follow the advice of Paul Mo.

Pelican cases are great. Foam or padded dividers would work, just depends on your preference. I dislike foam because once you pluck it out to custom fit your equipment, it doesn't allow the flexibility of making changes in the future should you buy and sell gear. Padded dividers take a minute or two longer to set up but allows the flexibility to move compartments around.

Feb 21, 2017 at 06:20 AM
Eric Larsen
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Case/bag for keeping gear in trunk

As for the security end of the equation, I've got a couple of strategies I use.

One is a PacSafe http://www.pacsafe.com/travel-accessories-wallets/backpack-bag-protectors.html which you can use to contain whatever it is (Pelican?) you intend to keep in the vehicle. These are for travel, mostly and I've used one for years with no problem whatsoever.

The second method I use in my SUV involves a single stack steel file box. It essentially is a file drawer that slides into it's steel housing. Think file cabinet but with only a single drawer and no roller mechanism -- simply slides in/out with friction. These may be military surplus.

Anyway, I fastened a steel tongue to the inside end of the sliding file drawer such that when closed, the tongue sticks out a slot I made in the back of the housing. I then simply padlock that tongue and the box cannot be opened. I further modified it so that it also padlocks to the rear seat attachment. Now it's also attached to the vehicle. It would be quite a project to get it out. It comes out in 10 seconds by simply removing the padlock.

Some ideas...

Feb 21, 2017 at 02:10 PM
la puffin
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Case/bag for keeping gear in trunk

Thanks for the advice. I meant for storing in the trunk, rather than the ThinkTank bags I'm currently using. This is for protection from bouncing around. I drive a SLK and most of the trunk is taken up by the spare tire.

Is the only disadvantage to foam in a Pelican case, the inflexibility for gear changes? If so, can't the whole piece of foam be changed?

Feb 21, 2017 at 02:26 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Case/bag for keeping gear in trunk

la puffin wrote:
Is the only disadvantage to foam in a Pelican case, the inflexibility for gear changes? If so, can't the whole piece of foam be changed?

I've had foam start to break down and started getting small bits of foam all over my gear. I'd go straight to the padded inserts and skip foam completely.

Feb 21, 2017 at 02:38 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Case/bag for keeping gear in trunk

I stopped using custom foam inserts years ago because, as mentioned, the contents of my cases and bags kept changing. Now I use neoprene lens bags for just about everything (mostly Op/Tech Snoot Boots and some LensCoat LensPouches), plus neoprene cases for the cameras, and wraps for weird shapes. I select the cases and/or bags to carry the load of photo gear I plan to take, plus any camping or other gear, and I more or less just throw in the lenses and cameras.

OTOH, while still using foam inserts, I came across "Pick & Pluck" foam, which is ideal for replacing an insert, and it was a pretty reasonable price last time I checked, too.

Feb 21, 2017 at 07:11 PM
Ming-Tzu
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Case/bag for keeping gear in trunk

Yes, you can buy more foam when your gear changes but it's quite expensive. For example, take a look at brand new Pelican foam for the 1510 case here:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/330234-REG/Pelican_1510_400_000_1511_Four_Piece_Foam.html

$45 is a lot of money for what it is. There may be cheaper non-Pelican alternatives that I'm not aware of so others can chime in on that.

Feb 21, 2017 at 08:54 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.