FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2017 · Adobe Creative Cloud/Photography

StarNut
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Adobe Creative Cloud/Photography

Hi,

I don't like subscription models, but I'm being forced to consider it.

I've been using PS CS5 and LR 5.7. They've worked fine (well, LR is horribly slow, even with a powerful machine), but now I've bought a camera whose RAW files are not supported by those, and I'm thinking it's time to enter the modern world. Alas.

The leading candidate, obviously, would be CC/Photography. It's $10/month. I don't know of other candidates, other than Mylio.

Questions: Is CC LR also very, very slow? Is there anything hidden about subscribing that I may not understand?

Any other good options?

Thanks.

Mark

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:23 AM
barry685

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Adobe Creative Cloud/Photography

i use cs6 and Captur one pro. its suffecient for me.

Feb 21, 2017 at 01:22 AM
AceCo55

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Adobe Creative Cloud/Photography

Another possibility is to convert your new camera's RAW photos into Adobe DNG file format and continue to use PS CS5.

Feb 21, 2017 at 06:13 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Adobe Creative Cloud/Photography

StarNut wrote:
Hi,

I don't like subscription models, but I'm being forced to consider it.

I've been using PS CS5 and LR 5.7. They've worked fine (well, LR is horribly slow, even with a powerful machine), but now I've bought a camera whose RAW files are not supported by those, and I'm thinking it's time to enter the modern world. Alas.

The leading candidate, obviously, would be CC/Photography. It's $10/month. I don't know of other candidates, other than Mylio.

Questions: Is CC LR also very, very slow? Is there anything hidden about subscribing that I may not understand?

Any other good options?

Thanks.

Mark

2 things

1: your not 'forced' into CC . You can still buy LR6 as a stand alone program . Admitadly it's not easy to find and you won't get any of the added features that CC has gained since 6 was released ( raw updates continue though)

2: define horribly slow ? I find that most of the time the slowness is down to incorrect use of the software . Or at least non optimised use .
Stuff like not creating high enough preview sizes beforehand and trying to browse thru loads of images while in DEVELOP mode .

LR6 has tried to speed things up a bit by using the GPU for some stuff in the develop mode . And CC now can use smart previews instead of the full raw file (while it can still see the raw file) when it can do so to speed things up .
I've not had much chance to try this but I have heard a few users say it's noticeable

Feb 21, 2017 at 07:42 AM
jforkner
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Adobe Creative Cloud/Photography

You might look at Affinity Photo.

Feb 21, 2017 at 07:56 AM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Adobe Creative Cloud/Photography

At $10 Photoshop is affordable IMO. Photoshop is more than just an image Editor and has good automation features. No other single application can really compete with all that Photoshop offers. Photoshop also has a lot of bugs. If you use a lot of Photoshop you need to be able to work around Adobe bugs. Adobe Program support is not what it should be. Bugs acknowledged by Adobe go unfixed release after release. I do not use lightroom for it does not support Layer and Lightroom's develop module is not a Photoshop plug-in Lightroom uses Photoshop Plug-in ACR to open Lightroom developed Raw file in Photoshop with Lightroom's RAW settings. In Photoshop you have to use ACR dialog for RAW files nor Lightroom's develop interface. Lightroom can not handle your Photoshop work layers IMO LR and Photoshop is not a real good fit.

Lightroom may be all that you need If you just develop images and Print them. Lightroom. Lightroom is very capable when it come to making local image changes. However, Lightroom is NOT a full fledged Image Editor. Photoshop has many editing features for making composite images such feature are not possible in Lightroom given Lightroom design.

You can buy a license to use Lightroom a one time charge a subscription is not required to use Lightroom.

Photoshop does not require Lightroom or Bridge to also be used. I mostly use Windows File ExExplorer for organizing my images. It does not slow you do to create databases and thumbnails etc. Adobe Bridge is a good metadata editor and you can make collections to help your workflow. Still, I seldom open the bridge. Windows 10 File Explorer IMO does not perform as well as Windows 7 File explorer.

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:41 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Adobe Creative Cloud/Photography

I recently caved in myself and drifted off into the cloud. I've never used PS before and have always been a LR6 junkie but I knew it was time I set down and started the long process of learning PS.

I chatted with Adobe before I downloaded the new PS and LRcc and I specifically asked them if my perpetual licence for LR6 was going to remain unchanged and intact on my system and the answer was "YES", and that I could choose whichever one I wanted to use.
Well.... That was a BIG lie as I completely lost my original LR6 on my system and it appears to have been overwritten by the CC version.

Everything was intact as far as a seamless transition and not missing catalogs or any edit work but I'm a little pissed that they lied to me.

With that said, I have discovered many additional features that the cc version has over my very current version of LR6. That in itself is a little troubling if you think about it.

I have noticed that the LR cc is running slower on many tasks than my perpetual version was. I have not dug into it much to try and figure out why this is yet.

Renting software for the rest of my life does make me a little sick to my stomach, but as long as they don't jack the price up I'll only be in the hole $2,400 if I stick with this hobby for another 20 years. Which isn't that bad when you think about it.

Dave

Feb 21, 2017 at 03:14 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Adobe Creative Cloud/Photography

lighthound wrote:
I recently caved in myself and drifted off into the cloud. I've never used PS before and have always been a LR6 junkie but I knew it was time I set down and started the long process of learning PS.

I chatted with Adobe before I downloaded the new PS and LRcc and I specifically asked them if my perpetual licence for LR6 was going to remain unchanged and intact on my system and the answer was "YES", and that I could choose whichever one I wanted to use.
Well.... That was a BIG lie as I completely lost my original
...Show more

When you install the CC version, there is an option to keep your existing software or to overwrite it. You must have selected ( or it defaults ) to overwrite.

Feb 21, 2017 at 04:10 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Adobe Creative Cloud/Photography

Well why don't ya just put a little more salt into my wound!

Seriously though, I didn't see any such option but I suppose there's a good chance I just missed it.

Feb 21, 2017 at 04:59 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Adobe Creative Cloud/Photography

lighthound wrote:
Well why don't ya just put a little more salt into my wound!

Seriously though, I didn't see any such option but I suppose there's a good chance I just missed it.

You should still be able to install the previous version. You still have the activation key for it?

Feb 21, 2017 at 05:03 PM
pjheller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Adobe Creative Cloud/Photography

If you go to PS CC, can you still add plug-ins (or move them over from CS6?

Feb 21, 2017 at 05:26 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Adobe Creative Cloud/Photography

pjheller wrote:
If you go to PS CC, can you still add plug-ins (or move them over from CS6?

Yes, as long as the plugins are up to date can compatible with the most recent version of PSCC.

Feb 21, 2017 at 06:01 PM
AnnJS
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Adobe Creative Cloud/Photography

You can find all of the older products which you have ever bought from Adobe (listed with your SNs) if you sign into your Adobe Account and go the "Plans & Products > Products" tab.
So you can re-install any of your older applications at at any time — providing you still have a computer and OS which is compatible with them.

(My own list is covered right back to 1994!)

The "Downloads > Other Downloads" page lists Downloads for most of the old versions of all the programs back to CS2 and Lightroom 6.

Feb 21, 2017 at 10:33 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Adobe Creative Cloud/Photography

lighthound wrote:
Well.... That was a BIG lie as I completely lost my original LR6 on my system and it appears to have been overwritten by the CC version.

Everything was intact as far as a seamless transition and not missing catalogs or any edit work but I'm a little pissed that they
...Show more

as has been said above you could have selected to keep existing software . but that said I can see zero reason to keep LR6 on the same machine as LR CC . CC gives you 2 installs of lightroom . if you want to use LR on a 3rd machine you could install LR6 on that and use your perpetual license . should you ever decide to quite with the cloud you'll have LR6 to fall back on .

With that said, I have discovered many additional features that the cc version has over my very current version of LR6. That in itself is a little troubling if you think about it.

why . right from the outset Adobe said that only CC would get FEATURE updates while LR6 would remain as it was at the start . both get bug fixes and new RAW updates (not entirely sure if LR6 gets new lens profiles) . its the new added features that is part of the carrot to keep you with CC .

I have noticed that the LR cc is running slower on many tasks than my perpetual version was. I have not dug into it much to try and figure out why this is yet.

Don't see a reason why . maybe you had changed some of the preferences on LR6 and haven't done so on CC ?

Feb 22, 2017 at 01:22 AM
Richard Smith
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Adobe Creative Cloud/Photography

barry685 wrote:
i use cs6 and Captur one pro. its suffecient for me.

Another vote for Capture One.
There is a learning curve but once through it, the programs is excellent for managing and processing photos.

Feb 22, 2017 at 03:31 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Adobe Creative Cloud/Photography

you can speed up lightroom immensely by using a separate database for every shoot. That's what I do.

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:49 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Adobe Creative Cloud/Photography

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
as has been said above you could have selected to keep existing software . but that said I can see zero reason to keep LR6 on the same machine as LR CC . CC gives you 2 installs of lightroom . if you want to use LR on a 3rd machine you could install LR6 on that and use your perpetual license . should you ever decide to quite with the cloud you'll have LR6 to fall back on .

why . right from the outset Adobe said that only CC would get FEATURE updates while LR6 would remain as
...Show more

In light of the fact that we can in fact retrieve our original software then yes, I agree there is no reason or need to keep a second copy.
CC allows for 2 installs of LR!? Now that right there is worth the price of admission in my book. I did not know this.
Thanks for pointing this out! I'm all over this.

Yes, I know they said it from the beginning but it's a sleazy thing to do to their paid customers.
I guess what would make it easier to swallow is if they would have simply renamed the cc version to something not so similar to LR6. Maybe "PS Light" or something.
But hey! I'm a CC elite member now so to hell with the peasants. <--- said in a very joking manner

Yep, that's what I'm thinking as well. I just need to look into this more to figure it out. Even importing images is drastically slower now. I suspect it might have something to do with loosing my preview settings.

Dang, I have 3 seats of LR now! THAT is nice!

Feb 22, 2017 at 12:35 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Adobe Creative Cloud/Photography

lighthound wrote:
In light of the fact that we can in fact retrieve our original software then yes, I agree there is no reason or need to keep a second copy.

CC allows for 2 installs of LR!? Now that right there is worth the price of admission in my book. I did not know this.
Thanks for pointing this out! I'm all over this.

This is nothing new ... ALL Adobe software licensing for the past several decades allowed the license holder to 'install' the software on two devices ... even Lr 6 perpetual ... so you can now have Lr installed on four machines if you choose because you have both CC and perpetual licenses ... BUT ....

If you carefully read the EULA for both, it sates you can legally only use one install at a time ... not both. For example you can work using a desktop in your office and also have the software installed on a laptop you may use for working on location. However, you are technically not supposed to allow work to be performed using the same software on more than one device at a time. Though, I have never heard of Adobe policing this policy.

Feb 22, 2017 at 01:23 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Adobe Creative Cloud/Photography

Another tidbit is that you can install CC onto as many computers are you like, but only 2 can be activated at one time. So if you have two desktop systems that you use and a laptop for travel, you can install CC onto all 3, activate only the desktop systems until you travel, then deactivate one of your desktops and activate your laptop. This is a great feature especially useful for laptops that are only used when traveling.

Feb 22, 2017 at 01:36 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Adobe Creative Cloud/Photography

Ok, so what is the secret here because I had previously tried to install it on my work desktop but it would not let me due to it being installed on another desktop at home. I never dug into it any further because I was under the impression at the time that one had to be a laptop and the other could be a desktop. Never made sense to me.

Do you have to "deactivate" one seat in order to use the other? And if so, how do you do this?

Mark - Sorry about hijacking your thread.

Feb 22, 2017 at 02:28 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.