New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · LR errors on start up

nolaguy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LR errors on start up

Hi guys and gals,

I've seen this sort of thing with LR before and it normally resolves itself. Several tries, a restart and still no joy.

First, I opened LR and it behaved as though I was re-registering; enter Country, then Next, then the registration code screen (all pre-populated presumably my own personal asterisks - seen this before too); then Next, Finish, then the first error message below, etc

It did seem at one point to be trying to open and asked what catalog - I pointed it toward the lrcat in the default Pictures folder of the catalog I wanted to open (I use unique catalogs for every project), then again the error messages below - which leave no option other than to OK and thus close LR.

This, I've never encountered before.

The sequence above isn't entirely accurate, I'm sure. But that's my best recreation from memory and clicks.

Any experience with this or ideas good people? Your kind time and attention would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Chuck

Feb 20, 2017 at 08:30 PM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LR errors on start up

Hold down the Alt/Option key on startup and see if LR will open another catalog. If so, then once it opens, go to File>Open Catalog and try to open the other catalog that is having issues. What happens?

Feb 20, 2017 at 10:59 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LR errors on start up

Browse to your Lightroom main directory and delete any .LCK files you may see and delete all preview files (default is XXXXPreviews.lrdata) from yhour catalog folder and try again.

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:03 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LR errors on start up

Just delete the preview folder.

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:54 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LR errors on start up

if deleting the preview file (and anything else) doesn't work . do you have a backup ?
if so just run you latest backup from a different location (folder) and LR will have to build a new preview file along with the other files

Feb 21, 2017 at 02:59 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LR errors on start up

Guys, thanks so much. Deleting the preview folder and then regenerating the previews worked.

I certainly appreciate your help.

Any idea what corrupted the matter in the first place?

Feb 21, 2017 at 04:39 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LR errors on start up

There are a number of possibilities. My first suggestion would be to run a detailed analysis (think its checkdsk.exe in Windows) on the hard drive including a defrag step.

Feb 21, 2017 at 08:29 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · LR errors on start up

nolaguy wrote:
Guys, thanks so much. Deleting the preview folder and then regenerating the previews worked.

I certainly appreciate your help.

Any idea what corrupted the matter in the first place?

As far as I've ever been able to tell, it's just a corrupted file related to one of the images. However, because of how that data is secluded within funky files (and usually tons of them, depending on how many images), it's impossible to track it down. I've had this happen about 5-10 times in the past 7-8 years. Deleting the preview folder always fixed the issue. Honestly, every issue I've ever had boiled down to deleting that file, or the preference file. My only guess has been closing down too fast, or in the develop mode, before the data can be written... but that's just a guess based on my experience, and how impatient I can be. lol

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:09 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · LR errors on start up

Thank you, Alan.

Feb 22, 2017 at 12:06 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.