New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · I always have trouble with AF Tune

mjh1815

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I always have trouble with AF Tune

I never have good luck with AF-Tune. I've tried different methods, angled rulers, dot-tune, etc.

My latest try was FoCal V2 software. The software itself seems to work but I had two specific problems.

First, I have a 300mm F2.8 AF-S II which would not auto focus in live view on any camera, D700, D3s, and D4s. So, that was a non-started for FoCal. This is an older lens which did get the DC card upgrade to focus with newer cameras with teleconvertors. It focuses just fine using the through the lens focus but only hunts in live view. Of course I can manual focus in live view. Is this a known issue?

Second I have two 70-200 2.8 VR II which get used interchangeably on multiple cameras. Af-tune in the camera would not recognize them as two separate lenses. The Nikon menu seems to be set up to accommodate two of the same lenses but it wasn't working for me.

I need to go read the manual to see if there is a setting that I'm missing. So, all cameras are back to AF-tune off again.

Anyone have any experiences with live view not focusing or two lenses with different AF-tune values on one camera?

--Michael

Feb 20, 2017 at 07:35 PM
RoyC
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I always have trouble with AF Tune

AF Fine Tune setting are recorded by lens Model not specific lens serial number. Your two 70-200 VR II will be considered as only one lens.

Feb 20, 2017 at 10:00 PM
la puffin
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I always have trouble with AF Tune

Other than that, what do you think of FoCal?

Feb 21, 2017 at 02:37 AM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I always have trouble with AF Tune

la puffin wrote:
Other than that, what do you think of FoCal?

I use it and have been happy. Others will say the same can be done by eye or with the dot tune method, for me I've never been able to consistently tune my lenses that way and the focal has been very helpful.

Feb 21, 2017 at 10:11 AM
mjh1815

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I always have trouble with AF Tune

I need to work with it further now that I'm over the frustration of it not solving all my challenges. I am interested to try the multi-point focus feature and the lens sharpness feature. The pro version has access to a lens database generated by user data so I can compare my lens performance against others. All of my lenses are used and older models so it would be nice to have a straightforward way to see if they have any issues or if performance is degrading over time.

I haven't had the time to explore those two features yet. I purchased direct from the Reikan website so the cost was less than $100. If nothing else I will learn something so in the end I think it will have been worth it to try.

Feb 21, 2017 at 01:42 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I always have trouble with AF Tune

Micro AF appears not to be a perfect system. So I am reduced to shooting a slanted target and trying to balance the focus point at the 0 mark as viewed on the (max) zoomed in LCD. This method is no more than +/- 3 AF units precise though.

Since lighting and lens to subject distance varies the MAF this seems realistic. For sure though you can go thru a bunch of lenses (and bodies) to discover that a particular lens needs a whole lot of MAF adjustment. This happens to my 85 F1.4 on my D500 and also in my 17-35 on various bodies.

Feb 22, 2017 at 12:35 PM
Photozack81
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I always have trouble with AF Tune

The thing about AF adjustments that I've found is that it only really applies at whatever subject distance you tune it at. (also for zooms, whatever focal length you do the adjustment at) - often the results elsewhere will be good enough, but not always.

There's got to be a better way, but I sure haven't found it yet.

For the record, I use the dot tune method and it works just fine for me.

Feb 22, 2017 at 04:20 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I always have trouble with AF Tune

I'm still using the original lensalign.

EBH

Feb 22, 2017 at 08:38 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.