Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · question with Novoflex Nikon E to Leica SL adapter ???

Alex Phan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · question with Novoflex Nikon E to Leica SL adapter ???

Is anyone here own this adapter? I need some feedback

I just got mine and it doesn't seem to work at all. I'm fully aware only "E" lens to work with AF. Now, if you put a G lens to it, will you still be able to manually focus the lens? With the Canon version, when you put the lens that not compatible, you will still see the image then manually focus your lens. Here with this adapter, all i got is black screen. The image on EFV or LCD in the back once in awhile just flashing up then go back to black screen. I can't even manual focus or even press the shutter button. If you have this adapter, can you confirm if what i have is normal?

thanks

Feb 20, 2017 at 04:54 PM
bjornthun
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · question with Novoflex Nikon E to Leica SL adapter ???

A Nikon G type lens need a mechanical actuation of an aperture lever on the lens, else the lens will stay at f/22 or f/32, depending on what is the smallest aperture of the lens. On an E type lens all communication between lens and camera (adapter in your case) is purely electronic. Likely you are out of luck trying to use a G type lens on your Leica SL. Only use E type lenses.

This is the downside to the Nikon F mount, there is a plethora of lens generations and even camera body generations that aren't 100% compatible through Nikon's 30 years of making AF lenses. Canon went for the fully electronic EOS mount in 1987, and were thus way ahead of the competition. Most likely Novoflex does not want to deal with the intricacies of the mechanical communications of the Nikon F mount, and thus they only support the fully electronic E type lenses from Nikon. Notice also how quickly Sigma and Tamron move to making E type lenses for Nikon.

Feb 20, 2017 at 07:29 PM
Alex Phan
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · question with Novoflex Nikon E to Leica SL adapter ???

Which sigma lens make E type lens for Nikon?

Feb 20, 2017 at 09:04 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · question with Novoflex Nikon E to Leica SL adapter ???

Bjorn that's a great explanation for why they wouldn't *officially* support G lenses, but it'd be strange for G lenses to not AF if E lenses do, because I didn't think that part had changed.

Feb 20, 2017 at 10:15 PM
Alex Phan
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · question with Novoflex Nikon E to Leica SL adapter ???

i know the technical reason for the E and G stuff but am i suppose to at least see the image and manually focus the lens?

Feb 20, 2017 at 11:01 PM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · question with Novoflex Nikon E to Leica SL adapter ???

Lee Saxon wrote:
Bjorn that's a great explanation for why they wouldn't *officially* support G lenses, but it'd be strange for G lenses to not AF if E lenses do, because I didn't think that part had changed.

Remember that with no mechanical aperture link, the lens stays at f/22 or thereabout, even when mounted. AF will be very hard at f/22. A Nikon DSLR has the mechanical link to open up and also control the aperture on a G type lens, unlike a purely electronic adapter.

Feb 21, 2017 at 07:31 AM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · question with Novoflex Nikon E to Leica SL adapter ???

Bubble wrote:
i know the technical reason for the E and G stuff but am i suppose to at least see the image and manually focus the lens?

The lens will stay at f/16-f/32 (i.e. smallest aperture of the lens) when mounted, since the Novoflex adapter doesn't have a mechanical link to the aperture on the G type lens, and is thus unable to control the aperture. At f/16-f/32 any image will be very dark or grainy. You will not be able to open up the aperture of a G type lens with the purely electronic E type adapter.

If you look through a Nikon G type lens, you will see that the aperture is stopped down to the smallest aperture. There is a spring loaded mechanical lever at the back of the lens, that can open up the aperture of the lens, if you move it. (Be careful, don't use force.) Once you let the lever go, the lens stops down again. The E type adapter can't operate this lever, so the lens stays stopped down on the Novoflex E type adapter.

Nikon's mechanical aperture dates from 1959.

Feb 21, 2017 at 07:40 AM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · question with Novoflex Nikon E to Leica SL adapter ???

Here is a link to reddotforum that lists compatible Nikkors and images ofvthe adapter, link
As you can see, the adapter has no mechanical levers, so it can't set the aperture on the lens.

Feb 21, 2017 at 07:57 AM
Alex Phan
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · question with Novoflex Nikon E to Leica SL adapter ???

bjornthun, thanks for the info.

Just read that ALL 4 new release lenses from sigma are "E" type. That is great news.

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:17 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · question with Novoflex Nikon E to Leica SL adapter ???

Pity there is no image stabilization support with these adapters (both Canon and Nikon)...

One of the few things I predicted correctly back in my youth was the forwards compatibility of the EF mount vs. the kludge the once revered F mount has become. Even in the 90s it was becoming evident this would be the case with the incremental mount changes and increasingly spotty camera compatibility.

Feb 21, 2017 at 02:03 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · question with Novoflex Nikon E to Leica SL adapter ???

Novoflex do make an adaptor for the SL that will allow aperture setting with no AF for your G lens. It's just not the E mount adaptor you have. I use mine with the Rokinin/Samyang lenses as well as the 85mm PC.

Gordon

Feb 21, 2017 at 03:32 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.