New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · D500 and Auto ISO

mphocus
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D500 and Auto ISO

I am sticking my neck out here and asking a potential dumb question. I was shooting basketball last weekend and I had my settings set to Manual. 2.0 aperture 1,000 shutter with an auto iso and centre focus locked. I found when I had it on landscape the auto iso did it's job but when I turned it landscape the iso wasn't anywhere near what it should be.

Has anyone else found this? Is there a setting I am missing that I should set it to?

Thanks for any clarification

Feb 18, 2017 at 05:38 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D500 and Auto ISO

The difference in ISO you observed between landscape and portrait likely was the result of different metering, which translates to a different ISO when you have the camera set to Manual with Auto ISO enabled. If you were using matrix metering then the metering will be affected by what's across the entire frame, with heavy weighting to what's under the active AF point. I'm guessing the difference you saw in metering (and thus the auto-selected ISO) is due to the differences of what was in the frame between those two orientations - for example in portrait you likely had the lights in the frame (assuming it was an indoor game) whereas in landscape you did not - or if the lights were in the frame for both orientations but their differing position in the frame affected the camera's matrix algorithms differently.

Feb 18, 2017 at 06:03 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D500 and Auto ISO

well your metering is going to change with orientation due to changes of input lighting. it is a rectangle not square especially if you are using matrix as it uses the whole view. go to spot or center weighted and there will be less change due to the smaller more centralized areas of reading in both landscape and portrait.

Feb 18, 2017 at 06:05 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D500 and Auto ISO

do you happen to know if Pelorus Navigation still has their facility still near the airport?
I spent a few days up there working with them on a GPS project long awhile back in the winter.

Feb 18, 2017 at 06:13 PM
mphocus
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D500 and Auto ISO

Thank you both for your quick response. sjms I don't know what Pelorus Navigation is sorry

Feb 18, 2017 at 06:33 PM
mphocus
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D500 and Auto ISO

snapsy wrote:
The difference in ISO you observed between landscape and portrait likely was the result of different metering, which translates to a different ISO when you have the camera set to Manual with Auto ISO enabled. If you were using matrix metering then the metering will be affected by what's across the entire frame, with heavy weighting to what's under the active AF point. I'm guessing the difference you saw in metering (and thus the auto-selected ISO) is due to the differences of what was in the frame between those two orientations - for example in portrait you likely had the
...Show more

I don't use matrix metering. I change from centre weighted to spot metering when shooting. So I know it isn't the matrix metering problem. Looking at the camera now to see what indeed I was shooting with and it was centre weighted. Would there be anything else that could cause this?

Feb 18, 2017 at 07:01 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D500 and Auto ISO

no problem, they're a company I worked with years ago on a proof of concept GPS aircraft landing system with Honeywell and Continental Airlines at the time. I had to come up your way to their facility in Saskatoon for a few days. nice mellow city.

Feb 18, 2017 at 07:01 PM
mphocus
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D500 and Auto ISO

sjms wrote:
no problem, they're a company I worked with years ago on a proof of concept GPS aircraft landing system with Honeywell and Continental Airlines at the time. I had to come up your way to their facility in Saskatoon for a few days. nice mellow city.

Saskatoon is a beautiful city during the day and at night with all the bridges and river. Were you able to get out and shoot some images of the city?

Feb 18, 2017 at 07:12 PM
mphocus
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D500 and Auto ISO

After reading the following I come to the conclusion I should have used spot metering and not centre weighted metering https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/30402705 Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Feb 18, 2017 at 07:19 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D500 and Auto ISO

mphocus wrote:
After reading the following I come to the conclusion I should have used spot metering and not centre weighted metering https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/30402705 Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

You gotta watch spot metering - if it gets a bright or dark jersey under it it'll under / over expose. If the light is pretty even, I'd forget any kind of auto exposure (even manual + auto ISO) and just put everything in full manual. Get the proper exposure, fire away, and forget it

Feb 18, 2017 at 07:32 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D500 and Auto ISO

mphocus wrote:

Spot metering will produce it's own set of problems because it will be susceptible to reflectivity differences between your subjects (or more specifically, differences on what you have under the AF point) and what the camera has to assume is middle gray. While center weighted and matrix metering aren't perfect, they at least allow errors in a single spot reading to be offset by taking readings from the full metering sensor and applying those to its algorithms, esp for shooting scenarios that are too fast pace for you to adjust exposure compensation yourself.

Feb 18, 2017 at 07:34 PM
mphocus
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D500 and Auto ISO

Steve Perry wrote:
You gotta watch spot metering - if it gets a bright or dark jersey under it it'll under / over expose. If the light is pretty even, I'd forget any kind of auto exposure (even manual + auto ISO) and just put everything in full manual. Get the proper exposure, fire away, and forget it

Hi Steve! Watch your videos all the time I eventually set the iso to what it was showing when I was in landscape so the rest of the games went smoothly. I was just wondering if there was a setting I was missing. Thanks

Feb 18, 2017 at 07:38 PM
mphocus
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D500 and Auto ISO

snapsy wrote:
Spot metering will produce it's own set of problems because it will be susceptible to reflectivity differences between your subjects (or more specifically, differences on what you have under the AF point) and what the camera has to assume is middle gray. While center weighted and matrix metering aren't perfect, they at least allow errors in a single spot reading to be offset by taking readings from the full metering sensor and applying those to its algorithms, esp for shooting scenarios that are too fast pace for you to adjust exposure compensation yourself.

Interesting, thank you. Lots to remember next time.

Feb 18, 2017 at 07:41 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D500 and Auto ISO

mphocus wrote:
Saskatoon is a beautiful city during the day and at night with all the bridges and river. Were you able to get out and shoot some images of the city?

unfortunately it was 4 days full of 6 days of work. then there was the snow. just got out and about a few moments and dinners.

Feb 18, 2017 at 08:21 PM
mphocus
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D500 and Auto ISO

sjms wrote:
unfortunately it was 4 days full of 6 days of work. then there was the snow. just got out and about a few moments and dinners.

I looked up that company and it seems they are still around. Too bad you didn't get to see more of the city. In the winter it tends to get very cold, but if you are dressed warm it usually is okay. Maybe next time you are here you will be able to see more

Feb 18, 2017 at 08:26 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D500 and Auto ISO

BS. I have zero issues with Auto ISO and Spot Highlight Priority,
and have the shots to prove it. Just sayin'

Feb 18, 2017 at 08:34 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D500 and Auto ISO

mphocus wrote:
I looked up that company and it seems they are still around. Too bad you didn't get to see more of the city. In the winter it tends to get very cold, but if you are dressed warm it usually is okay. Maybe next time you are here you will be able to see more

I would like to.

Feb 18, 2017 at 08:36 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.