Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Monarch

C&C welcomed!

Feb 18, 2017 at 03:18 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Monarch

My first impression makes me want a tighter crop of the butterfly. Maybe a vertical or square crop from the left.

This is more of an environmental shot including a butterfly and flowers as opposed to a close up. So I would include many of the flowers. But those in the background are not adding much.

Feb 18, 2017 at 04:47 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Monarch

I agree with Ben's critique. Too much information in the image to make the butterfly stand out. BTW that is not a Monarch, Feb is too early for them . Your butterfly is a "West Coast Lady"

Feb 18, 2017 at 05:06 PM
FunkyPDB
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Monarch

agreed re: too much background. Here is revised. Much tighter and I start cropping out the flowers. I tried with a square crop and it didn't feel right to me. But, I'm including it for further consideration.

Feb 19, 2017 at 06:32 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Monarch

They both work for me.

Feb 19, 2017 at 07:26 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Monarch

I like the last crop best
I agree with the feedback above

Scott

Feb 19, 2017 at 07:48 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Monarch

Jim, cropping can help some aspects of a photograph' composition, but there are a few reasons why the subject of your image is not popping. Mainly: Focus, Brightness, and Saturation. The butterfly's head shows less detail compared to the flowers on the left of the image. The head seems a bit OOF while it should be the focus point of your image. Your butterfly is not the brightest element; the flowers are brighter. The colors of the flowers are more vivid than the butterfly's. The reason I say that is because the viewer's eyes are attracted by the brightest, sharpest element of the image. In other words the flowers are robbing the viewer's attention. Your subject is not the most prominent element of the photography
To better understand my comments I reduced some elements on the flowers while emphasizing the same on the butterfly. The result is that the viewer now knows what to look at. Which is what you want the viewer to do.
My attempt is for demonstration only.
One last thing: when shooting butterfly the name of the game is: fill the frame.

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:22 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.