New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · zeiss 135, yes or no

boshek
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · zeiss 135, yes or no

I want it, I want it..........but will I use it? I know its perfect for portraits as long as you can deal with the mf, what do you guys think??
I have the 85 1.4 and a 70-200 but think this would be a perfect addition.

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:31 PM
Desertcruiser
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · zeiss 135, yes or no

It's wonderful...
Use it as much as i can.
There is an image thread as well.

Feb 18, 2017 at 01:01 PM
No Regrets
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · zeiss 135, yes or no

Get it! It's a fantastic lens. The colors, micro contrast, detail and sharpness are second to none. Built to last several lifetimes! And it's such a versatile lens... much more than just a portrait lens

I also have the 85mm1.4 AIS and the 200f2/VRII and I think that the Zeiss 135 APO compliments those very nicely.

As far as the manual focus goes... I love it! The Zeiss has a very smooth and long throw focus ring, and with it being so clear find it quite easy to focus. In fact, almost all of my lenses are manual focus (Zeiss and classic Nikkor family) with the exception of my Siggy Art 50 and my 200f2/VRII. Manually focusing creates a much more intimate feeling when photographing... something that I really enjoy. It slows you down in a good way, resulting in better compositions, etc.

I love my Zeiss 135 and have absolutely No Regrets owning it

Best wishes,
Don

Edited on Feb 18, 2017 at 01:32 PM · View previous versions

Feb 18, 2017 at 01:08 PM
Ray S.
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · zeiss 135, yes or no

It's incredible but whether you'd use it enough to justify the cost is another question. I felt the same way about the Zeiss 100 f2 and finally broke down and bought it. I used it a lot at first, of course, but once the new lens smell wore off I found I didn't use it nearly enough to justify the money I had tied up in it. And too much of the time I DID use it was just to justify it's existence. I really used it very little just as an organic part of my shooting. And I eventually sold it.

But it was an itch I had to scratch. The way I look at it is I rented it for a couple hundred dollars for about a year, which isn't a bad deal. I still have a great Nikon 105 f2.5 that's not much younger than I am and, for how I use that focal length, it's just wonderful for my needs. And a 135 f2.8 AI that's also a great lens. But if I hadn't tried out that Zeiss, I'd still be lusting after one. And now I'm not. So, I'd say if you have the money and you just gotta have it, buy it and see what happens. And if you sell it eventually, you won't lose much and you'll have that behind you and shouldn't have any regrets. And if you use it a lot, you'll love it.

-Ray

Feb 18, 2017 at 01:09 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · zeiss 135, yes or no

12 months ago I'd say it's worth it- but with the Nikon 105mm 1.4 E in the market I'd much rather have that lens (AF).

Feb 18, 2017 at 01:16 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · zeiss 135, yes or no

I'd wait a couple of months to see if the Sigma is for real.

Kent in SD

Feb 18, 2017 at 01:20 PM
No Regrets
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · zeiss 135, yes or no

I agree with everything Ray has said. Thankfully, I really love shooting with my Zeiss But he brings up another great point. And that is the fact about Nikon's 105 and 135 manual focus options. I have the Nippon Kogaku P 105mm f2.5 and had the Nikkor Q 135mm f2.8 manual focus lenses. Both are fantastic lenses and are an absolute steal for the money.

If you are unsure about if you are going to like manual focus lenses... you may want to consider picking up either one of these and spend some time with them. They really do produce beautiful images and are much lighter than the Zeiss, which can be a benefit at times

Best wishes,
Don

Feb 18, 2017 at 01:24 PM
saaber1
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · zeiss 135, yes or no

From all reports and images I've seen it looks to be a stellar lens. Another one to consider for around 1/2 the price used is the Zeiss 100mm f/2 makro. Focusing is incredibly easy with this lens partially due to its extra long throw. Even BIF is no problem for focusing with it which is amazing for a MF lens. A few examples FYI/FWIW:

Feb 18, 2017 at 01:45 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · zeiss 135, yes or no

If you don't want to risk too much money on a lens you might not like, the Samyang/Rokinon 135mm f2 is 95% of the Zeiss's image quality for far less money. Though it doesn't have the same metal build.

Feb 18, 2017 at 02:39 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · zeiss 135, yes or no

The 135 APOis a phenomenal lens. Zeiss themselves acknowledge it is every bit as good as their top range Otus, except it was designed before Otus came into being. I have never read a review where it is outclassed, only where another lens is almost as good for less money. And its performance far exceeds portraits, it does detail, or landscape equally well. Highly recommended.

Feb 18, 2017 at 03:03 PM
Almass
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · zeiss 135, yes or no

You wanna talk about it or use it?

It is all in the pose.

You want to pose for them, get a Zeiss 135

You to pose them, get a Nikkor 105E

Feb 18, 2017 at 03:17 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · zeiss 135, yes or no

135mm is my favorite FL for tigher portraits, but I always stop down to f/5.6 or beyond: the CZ Aposonnar is three stops too fast. Manual focus is also a problem unless you shoot off a tripod and bolt the subject's head to a backboard. I have the Leitz Tele-Elmar 135/4 and Rokinon 135/2, and tired of these maneuvers. Even as a German-glass whore, I find the best optic has turned out to be the Nikkor 70-200/4 with glorious AF: a dream portrait zoom with studio strobes. Case closed!

Edited on Feb 19, 2017 at 12:17 AM · View previous versions

Feb 18, 2017 at 11:11 PM
tdlavigne
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · zeiss 135, yes or no

I'd say wait to see if the Sigma 135 Art is really coming next week, and then compare it's performance to the Zeiss. Could be both better and cheaper, or could be neither. But when it's potentially so close to release it makes sense to wait to be sure you get what works best for your needs.

Edit: Looks like Sigma made mention of this (and 3 other lenses) on their page, so it looks like they're ready for CP+

Feb 18, 2017 at 11:13 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · zeiss 135, yes or no

My thinking is that if the Sigma is better (and it very well could be,) it would be more desirable. Even if it's merely equal, I would bet the price of used Zeiss will come down some. That would translate into either a cheaper price, or if you bought a new one the value will quickly be less. Sigma has clearly been on fire the last couple of years!

Kent in SD

Feb 18, 2017 at 11:31 PM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · zeiss 135, yes or no

Cheaper sigma is very likely. Better is to be determined. I agree that af is very important for this focal length for portrait.

Feb 18, 2017 at 11:36 PM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · zeiss 135, yes or no

135/2 apo is really excellent. I used to think that MF is not easy using OVF on Nikon and I ended up using 135/2 apo with my A7r ii more. However, the last few months, I experimented a bit with using MF lens on D810 and it was not nearly as difficult as I thought. Especially for portrait where you are not in a hurry. After saying that though, 105/1.4e is also very good and I would be perfectly happy with either. Having both make the decision a bit hard

Feb 19, 2017 at 06:30 AM
boshek
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · zeiss 135, yes or no

it looks like the Sigma 135 1.8 is a reality, so theres something else to add to the mix

Feb 19, 2017 at 06:41 AM
Desertcruiser
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · zeiss 135, yes or no

Yes, could be an interesting lens too.
Have the NIKON DC135 and the Zeiss. Maybe Sigma brings out his 135 and we can compare. I don't need 3x 135 f2, so one or two maybe has to go then...

Feb 19, 2017 at 06:46 AM
Desertcruiser
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · zeiss 135, yes or no

No PP, but a little bit of cut on the left.

Feb 19, 2017 at 06:49 AM
ariel777
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · zeiss 135, yes or no

I have the Zeiss 135 which is an absolutely excellent lens, but I intend to also purchase the new Siggy. If the new Siggy performs at the same level as its Art counterparts, I'll bite the bullet at that time as to whether I sell the Z...

Feb 19, 2017 at 03:39 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.