New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Looking for Bag to Hold Fuji X-T2 and X100F

Blufox
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for Bag to Hold Fuji X-T2 and X100F

I currently have three Think Tank bags:

Retrospective 7 - Used for travel and storing lenses that stay behind during day trips
Retrospective 5 - Normally used when I take my X-T2, lens mounted, and one or two additional lenses
Mirrorless Mover 20 - Formerly used for my X100T and soon X100F

What I want to be able to do is to take my X-T2 with a lens attached (let's just say the 16-55 f/2.8) resting on its side (gripped side facing up) and my X100T with hood in the other section. I use the JJC LH-JX100II hood, so it is slightly larger than the vented hoods. The Retro 7 is far larger than I want to carry around town or in the foothills, so that's out. The Retro 5 fits both but the inside side 'flap' can get in the way when I want to grab the X100(x) out quickly, so that is out. Lastly, the MM20 is too darn small to comfortably handle both, and I don't really like carrying it as it is too small for my frame (6'2" 195).

Ideally I would like a bag about the size of the Retro 5 (or a tad bigger) without being the size of the 7. I looked at the 6 but haven't talked to anyone who actually uses one and I prefer not to depend upon YouTube 'reviews' from a gear reviewer. I've looked at the MM25i, but again have yet to talk to an actual owner.

Sadly where I live (outside of Boise) the area is extremely lacking in photo supply stores so there is no chance to check out the various bags in person.

So I turn to you. If any of you have a bag that you think might work well for my intentions please let me know what it is and what you carry in it. I would no doubt replace my MM20 with whatever bag I end up with unless I decide to keep it for storage.

Thanks in advance for reading yet another 'what bag' post.

Feb 17, 2017 at 09:52 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for Bag to Hold Fuji X-T2 and X100F

Glad you posted Blufox. I'm on the hunt for a similar solution (X-T2 and primes -- 14/2.8, 23/2, 35/2, 60/2.4, and maybe 90/2 if I carry both 60/2.4 and 90/2).

Have you looked at the Tenba Cooper 8? It might be smaller than the TT Retrospective 5 (so perhaps the right size for your X-T2 and 16-55/2.8. I haven't held one in my hands (not at local stores) but there are lots of videos on YouTube that show it off.

What do you think of the Retrospective 5 and 7? Are they worth it?

I'm also dying to know if someone has a good pouch for an X-T2 with the 27/2.8 so I can tuck it in something else.

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:23 PM
Blufox
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for Bag to Hold Fuji X-T2 and X100F

I have only seen videos of the Cooper 8 and I'm not sure if I like it or not. The outer zipper doesn't appeal to me and I'm not all that crazy about the inside, either.

I really enjoy the Retro 5 and it has been my most used bag. I find it comfortable to carry all day (I wear it cross-body) and I like the Velcro silencers, although I leave roughly a third exposed on both sides so that the flap stays in place without causing too much of the ripping sound when you open it. It is great for taking my X-T2 with any of my lenses attached, along with two other lenses.

The Retro 7 is my travel bag as I can take an additional lens, my X100(x), and my iPad Air 2 without any problem. I place the handle around the extended handle on my suitcase when walking through airports. However, it is bigger than I am looking for.

I am hoping to find a bag that allows for me to take both of my cameras with me, allowing for easy access to both without having to fiddle around with an interior flap.

Not sure of any pouches for the X-T2 and the 27/2.8, though. That is actually one of the lenses that I have never had. And here my wife thought that I owned every Fuji lens.

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:37 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for Bag to Hold Fuji X-T2 and X100F

Good to know the Retro 5 and 7 are good bags. I'm going to check them out at a local place that has them and see if we can make a deal.

The 27/2.8 is actually a really nice lens! It's what I use when space is tight but I want the camera along. It doesn't have an aperture ring, which is not ideal, but it's extremely sharp and light. It's practically flare-proof so you don't even have to fuss with a hood -- and it's quite cheap too.

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:57 PM
328iGuy
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for Bag to Hold Fuji X-T2 and X100F

I have the Retrospective 30 that I use for my 5D3 + Gear however for my new Fuji XT-2 and glass I use either the Peak Design Everyday Messenger 15" which is fantastic, or the Peak Design Sling for a smaller workload and they are both fabulous and highly recommended for quality and usability.

Feb 21, 2017 at 08:18 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking for Bag to Hold Fuji X-T2 and X100F

I don't normally carry together the exact items you mention, but I have them. So i just put them into my Domke F2 shoulder bag and they fit very nicely with some room to spare in the main compartment, with nothing in the two outer pockets. The 16-55 lens was attached to the X-T2 and the X100S has a lens hood on it. The Domke F2 is a compact bag, and easy to get into. You can take a look at it on B&H or probably Adorama. I use it all the time with my main Fuji cameras. A typical load in the Domke F2 for what I shoot would be a gripped X-T2 and an XPro2, with a 50-140, 16-55, and 10-24mm lenses, all detached until I arrive at my destination. They fit easily but snugly in this bag. It comes with an insert and dividers that are customizable. I use Think Tank bags a lot, and Domke bags as well. Both have their places in my kit, but for what you're talking about, I'd go with the Domke. It doesn't have the padding that the Think Tank bags all have, but I'm careful with my gear, and the canvas does a good job of protecting it.

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:46 AM
MagicNikon
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking for Bag to Hold Fuji X-T2 and X100F

I just picked up the Retrospective 6, my first TT. I had a Sony A6000 and A7ii, both with L brackets and a few lenses including a large 90mm macro for a trip this past weekend. I was also able to get my IPad Air2 into the front pocket. Worked great for me. Need to redo the dividers though.

Feb 28, 2017 at 06:40 PM
Steve Brandt
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking for Bag to Hold Fuji X-T2 and X100F

If you want a custom made bag check out https://porteengear.com/

I had them make me one and its super cool! Met the owner and crew at their shop and love the company. I did the build your own bag and got the large using the bag building here https://porteengear.com/bag-builder-step-1/

I personally would rather have a smaller bag than my large so I think for what you are wanting, a medium or even the compact one might work just fine. They have a form you can fill out and list all the stuff you want to carry with you and they will give you a quote on the size of bag that will work. I fit my XT2, 50-150 2.8, 35mm f2, 10-24 f4 along with a charger and 4 extra batteries with a few filters and some random cables in my large bag.

anyway, if you want a bag that hundreds of other people have, go for any of the typical bags. But if you want something super unique and fashioned BY you, check out porteen gear

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:18 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.