Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Panasonic 100-400 or Canon 100-400 & metabones for E-M1 II?

rwingsfan
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Panasonic 100-400 or Canon 100-400 & metabones for E-M1 II?

Trying to decide which would be better. Size is not a real factor so that part is covered. Would the IQ be comparable? I am sure the adapted lens would be a slower focus but how much? Going the Canon route I could pick up a body down the road also. Biggest thing for me would be IQ. I like BIF, static small birds, about anything that crosses my path really.

Feb 17, 2017 at 08:09 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Panasonic 100-400 or Canon 100-400 & metabones for E-M1 II?

My E-M5 focuses nicely with my Canon 100-400 II and the Metabones. Mind you, I don't shoot moving subjects.

But I recently got a Canon 80D, and I tested it against the E-M5 - same lens (Canon 100-400 II) on a tripod, focused on exactly the same thing, at the same focal length, and the IQ from the 80D was distinctly superior, so I've decided to part with all my M4/3 stuff.

Feb 17, 2017 at 09:33 PM
rwingsfan
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Panasonic 100-400 or Canon 100-400 & metabones for E-M1 II?

Not all surprising really but thanks for the input.

Feb 17, 2017 at 09:50 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Panasonic 100-400 or Canon 100-400 & metabones for E-M1 II?

If you are only using M4/3 then maybe sticking with the native lens might be a bit better but if you use multiple systems, I would much prefer the Canon.

Can not speak for the lens or camera but I do use the Kipon smart adapter with my older GX7 and focus is fast. I believe the Metabones is a bit faster (but costs more).

My combinations are AFS only but the GX7 is a CDAF only camera.

The other thing is that the Pana lens while native in mount isn't native to Olympus though close enough I would think.

Feb 18, 2017 at 03:25 PM
mmurph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Panasonic 100-400 or Canon 100-400 & metabones for E-M1 II?

I don't have any experience with the Canon 100-400 II on M 4/3, but I am going down a very similar path.

I just bought a Canon 80D and a 400 5.6 L to use on my Panasonic G85. The Canon kit arrives tomorrow.

I am migrating away from my Nikon DSLRs because of the ability to use the same Canon lenses on both systems, the 80D and G85. It is an enormous advantage.

What keeps me in the Panasonic camp is 4k video. But the Panasonic autofocus in video mode is still somewhat klunky at times, especially compared to AF in stills mode. So I am also looking forward to Dual Pixel Autofocus on the 80D in 1080 P video mode, with challenging subjects. Something like a Reddish Egret hunting, where it is impossible to manually follow their "dance", as just touching a long lens sets up crazy vibrations.

Note that the pixel pitch on both cameras is almost identical, so they have about the same number of pixels at the same "effective focal length"/ same crop. That is, a 16MP crop on the 80D also has about a 2x effective focal length, at least in stills mode. 4k video has an additional "crop"/ punch in to a 2.4x multiplier.

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:57 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.