Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

any clue when the 20.4mp sensor will show up down the line?

stan2
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · any clue when the 20.4mp sensor will show up down the line?

I haven't seen discussion of this, but I may have missed it. I'm holding off buying a new body. Don't really want to spend $2k on an OMD1ii.

I currently am using a rather old EPL5, which I mostly like. Besides that new sensor and image processor, I wish it had a good focus peaking system so it would be easier to focus with non-AF legacy lenses. Another annoyance is the infrared focus beam, which keeps me from using the camera in some situations, like low light music venues. For some reason, the musicians don't like that in their face..

Feb 17, 2017 at 08:35 PM
gary0319
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · any clue when the 20.4mp sensor will show up down the line?

I had an occasion to chat with our area Olympus rep and his district manager about a week ago. My interest was when we would see a new E-M5 III, and was informed that the only new body that will be introduced this year will be a new E-M10 III, which will have advanced video. I asked if it would have a 20mpx sensor and he just smiled and winked.........so, maybe.

He said a new E-M5 III is at least a year out.

Feb 17, 2017 at 09:57 PM
Wilbus
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · any clue when the 20.4mp sensor will show up down the line?

Sounds reasonable, the E-M5 Mk II was announced in February 2015. the E-M5 Mk I was announced in 2012. So a three year cycle would give the Mk III till early 2018.

E-M1 Mk III sometime late 2019 or so if they keep the same cycle.

Is it just the OM-D series that interest you? If not, you have the Pen-F which uses a 20mp sensor and is around US1200 instead (if I use the Swedish prices).
If you look at the Panasonic camp there is the 20mp GX8 which feels great as well (only tested it in store). Terrific viewfinder, quick AF and great focus point selection using the screen by dragging your finger over it.

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:09 PM
gary0319
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · any clue when the 20.4mp sensor will show up down the line?

Wilbus wrote:
Sounds reasonable, the E-M5 Mk II was announced in February 2015. the E-M5 Mk I was announced in 2012. So a three year cycle would give the Mk III till early 2018.

E-M1 Mk III sometime late 2019 or so if they keep the same cycle.

Is it just the OM-D series that interest you? If not, you have the Pen-F which uses a 20mp sensor and is around US1200 instead (if I use the Swedish prices).
If you look at the Panasonic camp there is the 20mp GX8 which feels great as well (only tested it in store). Terrific viewfinder,
...Show more

Thanks for the information on the Olympus upgrade cycles. Olympus has said that the cycle for the E-M1 II will now be extended to 4 years. Also, just to add, the latest Olympus cameras (E-M1II and Pen F) now include the track pad focusing feature.

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:09 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · any clue when the 20.4mp sensor will show up down the line?

4 years seem like a very long time. I am sure it will happen sooner - as the E-M1.2 is still not there yet, especially in C-AF, and meanwhile sensor technology is rapidly moving forward. I can't wait for the organic sensor and global shutter to appear in the next iteration of Olympus' flagship camera.

gary0319 wrote:
Thanks for the information on the Olympus upgrade cycles. Olympus has said that the cycle for the E-M1 II will now be extended to 4 years. Also, just to add, the latest Olympus cameras (E-M1II and Pen F) now include the track pad focusing feature.

Feb 18, 2017 at 03:25 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password