New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · My DIY foot for the 400mm DO II

RobAmy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My DIY foot for the 400mm DO II

Well if anyone followed the other post of the 400DO II replacement foot it appears there is no foot that can go inside the hood when reversed.

If you want a foot as a handle and do not mind the taller height with the foot going over the hood then their are a few options out there.

I like my foot to be very low, I do not care about a handle, if a handle is needed then I use the Kirk super grip (pictured below). I used them for years with my larger lens. With that said all the lower sitting plates interfered with the hood.

So I tried a solution with the lenscoat travel hood, it worked okay but I was not thrilled with it. Main reasons is you need two hands to put it on and take it off and you can not stand it up on the hood.

So what I did is I had a RRS MPR-1 rail which is 6" long. Looking at it I thought it may work as a foot. So off to the drill press I went. This worked out awesome. My foot is low and the hood fits reversed. Outstanding

Feb 17, 2017 at 12:16 PM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My DIY foot for the 400mm DO II

What handle do you have mounted there? Need one!

Feb 17, 2017 at 01:04 PM
RobAmy
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My DIY foot for the 400mm DO II

Hey Charles

That is the Kirk super grip. They do not make the one any I have anymore but they do have a new model.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1050454-REG/kirk_sgh_2_super_grip_handle.html

Feb 17, 2017 at 01:13 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My DIY foot for the 400mm DO II

Kick Ass for sure Rob👍👍😎🤓

Feb 17, 2017 at 01:35 PM
lowside67
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My DIY foot for the 400mm DO II

Looks great! Looking at your photo of it mounted, if you were to redo it, would you move more of the rail behind the mount to a) provide more clearance to the front of the lens where it flares out and b) provide more options for a balance point further backwards?

Cheers

Feb 17, 2017 at 05:22 PM
RobAmy
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My DIY foot for the 400mm DO II

lowside67 wrote:
Looks great! Looking at your photo of it mounted, if you were to redo it, would you move more of the rail behind the mount to a) provide more clearance to the front of the lens where it flares out and b) provide more options for a balance point further backwards?

Cheers

You could move it back a little but not much. Your seeing it with the 2x mounted. With just the bare lens it comes close to the camera body. Maybe another 1/4" but that is all. If your body is not a pro body or does not have a grip then maybe you could gain more. It clears the L plate no problem. Here is a shot showing the clearance without the 2x

Feb 17, 2017 at 05:50 PM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My DIY foot for the 400mm DO II

Nice fabrication job, Rob!

By chance, do you have a photo of the collar/bracket just after the OEM foot was removed?

My lens is very rarely used on a tripod, and I'm thinking of removing the OEM foot to reduce the weight further. I can of course just remove the foot on mine, as I have a set of allen keys. But I'm not sure if the bracket looks ok when exposed, and I don't wish to scratch the allen screw heads just to check.

Feb 17, 2017 at 06:05 PM
RobAmy
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My DIY foot for the 400mm DO II

Liquidstone wrote:
Nice fabrication job, Rob!

By chance, do you have a photo of the collar/bracket just after the OEM foot was removed?

My lens is very rarely used on a tripod, and I'm thinking of removing the OEM foot to reduce the weight further. I can of course just remove the foot on mine, as I have a set of allen keys. But I'm not sure if the bracket looks ok when exposed, and I don't wish to scratch the allen screw heads just to check.

I do not but the bottom is open with small screws in a plate inside the foot. I do not think it would be good to get any thing in there like water/salt etc. Maybe a flat plate to cover the bottom of the foot. It is about 3/8" deep (guessing I did not measure it)

Feb 17, 2017 at 06:12 PM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My DIY foot for the 400mm DO II

RobAmy wrote:
I do not but the bottom is open with small screws in a plate inside the foot. I do not think it would be good to get any thing in there like water/salt etc. Maybe a flat plate to cover the bottom of the foot. It is about 3/8" deep (guessing I did not measure it)

Thanks for the info, Rob. Looks like I'll just leave the OEM foot on. To offset the few grams of potential weight savings, I think I'd just exercise my arms more to develop additional strength.

Feb 17, 2017 at 06:27 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My DIY foot for the 400mm DO II

Aquatech has a sturdy wraparound hood. You can set the camera lens combo down on the hood. However only in black. Very hard to break and it doesn't scratch the lens and folds up also.

I too have the older Kirk handle which a I consider superior to the new one. Also look at "Small Rig" for a handle (careful which model they have various mounting schemes). You will also need an Arca Swiss clamp. Still much cheaper than Kirk though.

Feb 20, 2017 at 01:01 PM
RobAmy
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My DIY foot for the 400mm DO II

SoundHound wrote:
I too have the older Kirk handle which a I consider superior to the new one. .

I agree, the old design is better imho too.

Feb 20, 2017 at 07:14 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.