New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Canon Gear Theft

hup353
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon Gear Theft

I'm posting this for a friend, Walt Anderson of Better Beamer fame. His car was broken into last evening during his stay in Green valley, south of Tucson, his 1Dx MK II and a 400 f4 Do lens were the two big items taken. All totaled four cameras and seven lenses were lost. His gear was insured through NANPA so everything is covered. This was a smash and grab operation so the gear might turn up at a local pawn shop or even taken to Mexico. If anyone reads an eBay sale that's too good to be true please let me know. Thanks.

Don

Feb 16, 2017 at 08:33 PM
gheller
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon Gear Theft

Sorry for the loss, great that it is covered.

Begs the question, why was it left in the car I live in a destination city and the first thing I tell my clients is to remove anything of value (not even in trunk).

A good reminder for all of us as well as our clients.

Good luck finding the gear / scumbags who took it

Greg

Feb 17, 2017 at 01:57 AM
hup353
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon Gear Theft

It's a catch-22, clients have had just as many thefts from rooms as cars. If you're spotted carrying gear to the room you can become a target. You can only slow a thief down but a determined one is hard to stop. As they say, locks only keep honest people honest.

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:44 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon Gear Theft

I've heard that thieves watch your vehicle while you put gear into the trunk. Best advice is to not make your gear obvious.

Hope the gear is recovered. Good that the gear was insured.

:-/

Feb 17, 2017 at 11:15 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon Gear Theft

hup353 wrote:
I'm posting this for a friend, Walt Anderson of Better Beamer fame. His car was broken into last evening during his stay in Green valley, south of Tucson, his 1Dx MK II and a 400 f4 Do lens were the two big items taken. All totaled four cameras and seven lenses were lost. His gear was insured through NANPA so everything is covered. This was a smash and grab operation so the gear might turn up at a local pawn shop or even taken to Mexico. If anyone reads an eBay sale that's too good to be true please let
...Show more

I live 100 miles west of Green Valley. GV is considered "gentrified," so I'd guess local thugs. Not necessarily gone to Mexico. Far better market in pawn and such shops in Tucson. Would notify Tucson PD particularly if you have serial numbers. Might help, though a long shot.

"There is no defense against a determined thief." Trunk or complete covering when moving. Personally I wouldn't take high end gear into Mexico. A lot of desperate people existing close to the border. I have a LX100 I slip along and leave things like cells, computers, etc. behind. My trips are no more than 3-4 days in Puerto Peņasco, but no point in tempting otherwise honest people.

Robert

Feb 17, 2017 at 11:36 AM
Brules

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon Gear Theft

I learned long ago, NEVER leave anything in your car - especially at a hotel overnight. Ever. Sorry for his loss - hope he gets 100% replacement and not used value etc!

Feb 17, 2017 at 02:37 PM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon Gear Theft

I lived and worked as a photojournalist in large metropolitan areas for the past 35 years, often shooting 2-4 assignments a day.

I lock my gear in the trunk and never leave anything--especially photo-related--visible in the cab. When I'm shooting an assignment I have just the chosen gear in the front with me, watch the environment when I park, and exit with all my stuff. Never suffered a loss, but maybe I'm just lucky.

I'm not saying this to be snarky. Anyone can get robbed and it totally sux. But these techniques seem to work pretty well.

Feb 17, 2017 at 03:22 PM
garydavidjones
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon Gear Theft

How about camouflage? My wife and I have travelled to over 100 countries and driven
over one million miles in the USA and Canada on road trips and local outings in the LA area
in the last 24 years. Only theft was that of a cheap film camera in Greece in 1995.

Carry all camera bags in funky suitcases and/or Trader Joe's bags. Dress down and
stay in 4-star or 5-star hotels. Routinely bring several Canon cameras and L lenses
on trips.

Feb 17, 2017 at 04:32 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon Gear Theft

If it is not recovered soon go online and do a search using the camera serial number and the lens serial number. Online with Metadata a search can pull up images taken with the gear and lead to who has it and/or where it is.

Feb 17, 2017 at 11:41 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon Gear Theft

I'm always worried when I go out of town with my equipment. I rarely leave the camera bag in the vehicle. I'd rather lug it around so I know the stuff is safe. But for those rare occasions when I need to, I use something like this http://amzn.to/2kyqn3m. I wrap the security cable through a metal hasp in the trunk, and set the lock. I know it will only slow down a thief, but most of the opportunity seekers don't walk around with bolt cutters.

The same device offers some extra protection when I have the camera bag with me when I'm out and about. I usually wrap the cable around objects that can't be moved. If someone cuts the cable, a 120 decibel alarm will sound. The motion-detector ensures that if the bag gets picked up, the same 120 decibel alarm sounds.

It has saved me from a blatant attempt to grab my equipment once so far.

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:16 AM
mgentryphoto
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon Gear Theft

If you have to leave gear in the car do a couple of things: I have a small SUV I bought at tractor supply store a steel box that will slide right into the back of my SUV also I wanted a Shelf to put tripod and other things on so I mounted a piece of plywood to it that has to be put in from the seating area and then drilled and put quick relase pins through it. I also have it locked to the seat bracket. So not a quick way of getting it out. Another thing is if you carry your gear in a car alot , use a pelican case and get a titanium cable and lock it to the frame and also lock the case.

Feb 26, 2017 at 10:07 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.