New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · BIF with an old camera+ state-of-the-art lens

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · BIF with an old camera+ state-of-the-art lens

I have gone a number of times to my falconer friend's raptor farm (i.e., CRC-Canadian Raptor Conservancy), experimenting with all kinds of photography hardware, from the best, to the entry level stuff ( just in case we'd have a heavy rainfall).

However, only recently I decided to use my old and trusty 1DsMkII on CRC flyers , knowing full well that the camera is far from ideal for fast BIF photography primarily because of its low FPS and shallow buffer. After all, that sort of photography the camera was not designed for.

The results were OK quality-wise, as owing to a fairly good ambient light I could keep ISO to 800 max. However, I got much fewer keepers than what 1DX would have given me, which was no surprise at all given the difference in FPS. I really had to concentrate hard on tracking, and I tried to ensure the 1DsMkII AF sensing points stayed on the bird, i.e., aiming the camera/lens in the steadiest and most accurate manner I was capable of, and last but not least, had to prefocus well as I always do.

In order to even out the handicap a bit, I used the very BIF capable 400 f/2.8 IS MkII lens.

The AF system of 1DsMkII still proves to be dependable/predictable. However, it doesn't have nowhere near the speed and accuracy of tracking the moving target across the AF sensing matrix compared to 1DX which is very good and fast.

The ISO noise performance is archaic and inadequate for ISO> 800, by today's standards.
The FPS and buffer depth is exasperatingly slow and inert for that action type.
If one tries to make quick sense of image replays, the miniature display is of a very limited utility.
Obviously, fast camera adjustments such as an ISO value change is very awkward.

Having said all that, in decent light, on slow or stationary subjects (or scenes), 1DsMkII can still produce fine image quality in a consistent manner. However, if you'd like to get an older inexpensive camera with a competent AF system FOR ACTION, I'd suggest 1DMkIIN, and not 1DsMkII.

1DsMkII + 400mm f/2.8 IS MkII

Edited on Mar 08, 2017 at 05:33 PM · View previous versions

Feb 16, 2017 at 08:05 PM
dhachey
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · BIF with an old camera+ state-of-the-art lens

Nice images, especially with older gear. I went to the CRC once with Ray Barlow and had a lot of fun. I may do it again. I used my 1D X and 200-400 for most shots. The AF on the 1D X is just spectacular.

Feb 16, 2017 at 08:17 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · BIF with an old camera+ state-of-the-art lens

Looking good Peter.

Now as to the 400II.....should I sell my 600II and purchase one....you weren't around when I proposed this question to the masses.

I've improved my field craft enough that I don't need to rely on 1200mm all that often. My question to you....how do you feel the AF and IQ compare between:

400/2.8 and 1.4TC vs the bare 600
400/2.8 and 2xTC vs the 600 and 1.4TC

I've found more and more times where I can use 400mm on FF now and I would love the extra stop of light IF I can maintain the IQ and AF I'm used to with the 600 at 600 and 840 with the 400 at 560 and 800?

Would love to know your thoughts as I feel that only those who have first hand experience with these things can provide any meaningful knowledge.

Feb 16, 2017 at 08:17 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · BIF with an old camera+ state-of-the-art lens

dhachey wrote:
I went to the CRC once with Ray Barlow and had a lot of fun.

That should get Peter going....

Feb 16, 2017 at 08:18 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · BIF with an old camera+ state-of-the-art lens

arbitrage wrote:
That should get Peter going....

Well, Geoff, you know what I would say if I let myself say it, but I must not, and shall not.
No way Jose.

Feb 16, 2017 at 08:22 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · BIF with an old camera+ state-of-the-art lens

arbitrage wrote:
Looking good Peter.

Now as to the 400II.....should I sell my 600II and purchase one....you weren't around when I proposed this question to the masses.

I've improved my field craft enough that I don't need to rely on 1200mm all that often. My question to you....how do you feel the AF and IQ compare between:

400/2.8 and 1.4TC vs the bare 600
400/2.8 and 2xTC vs the 600 and 1.4TC

I've found more and more times where I can use 400mm on FF now and I would love the extra stop of light IF I can maintain the IQ and AF I'm used to with
...Show more

Even if I take into account you ability to come close to your birds, I have to say don't do it. The 600 II is significantly more useful wildlife lens than 400 II. IQ wise they are very similar.
The only gain you'd make is the ability to AF and photograph in very low light. On top of that, 400 II is a fairly heavy lens, so after 3 hrs of shooting BIF with it fairly intensely, I was beat. It's not like 300 II which you and I could swing around all day, if need be.

In a nutshell, if you desire a low light superbly focusing and sharp lens, get your 300 II back and keep the 600 II......that's the way I see it.

Feb 16, 2017 at 08:35 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · BIF with an old camera+ state-of-the-art lens

PetKal wrote:
Even if I take into account you ability to come close to your birds, I have to say don't do it. The 600 II is significantly more useful wildlife lens than 400 II. IQ wise they are very similar.
The only gain you'd make is the ability to AF and photograph in very low light. On top of that, 400 II is a fairly heavy lens, so after 3 hrs of shooting BIF with it fairly intensely, I was beat. It's not like 300 II which you and I could swing around all day, if need be.

In a nutshell, if you
...Show more

Thank you for your opinion Peter. For now I will be staying with my 600II. I will reassess my needs after my cross province move this summer to a new environment....maybe I will need 1200mm more or maybe 400/2.8 more.

Feb 16, 2017 at 08:48 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · BIF with an old camera+ state-of-the-art lens

Geoff, I see the fundamental lens dilemma as 500 f/4 vs. 600 f/4.
What's more useful and important, 100mm FL gain (600 II), or significantly more agility (500 II) ? My choice would be 500 II if I had to choose. Yet, I can also see people wanting 840mm f/5.6 and 1200mm f/8, particularly those that shoot those lenses off a pod.

Feb 16, 2017 at 09:05 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · BIF with an old camera+ state-of-the-art lens

PetKal wrote:
Geoff, I see the fundamental lens dilemma as 500 f/4 vs. 600 f/4.
What's more useful and important, 100mm FL gain (600 II), or significantly more agility (500 II) ? My choice would be 500 II if I had to choose. Yet, I can also see people wanting 840mm f/5.6 and 1200mm f/8, particularly those that shoot those lenses off a pod.

That is a classic dilemma which used to be a fairly simple answer until the drastic 600II weight savings occurred which was not proportional to the 500II's weight savings.

I have considered going down to the 500II many a time but I have always needed my 1200mm up here with the migrating terrified waterfowl. My 400DOII provides me with the mobility I need even though I do give up that f-stop.

Feb 16, 2017 at 09:20 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · BIF with an old camera+ state-of-the-art lens

PetKal wrote:
I have gone a number of times to my falconer friend's raptor farm (i.e., CRC-Canadian Raptor Conservancy), experimenting with all kinds of photography hardware, from the best, to the entry level stuff ( just in case we'd have a heavy rainfall).

However, only recently I decided to use my old and trusty 1DsMkII on CRC flyers , knowing full well that the camera is far from ideal for fast BIF photography primarily because of its low FPS and shallow buffer. After all, that sort of photography the camera was not designed for.

The results were OK quality-wise, as owing to a
...Show more

Great shots Peter! Where ya been hiding? Anyways ... I love my 1Ds2! It may be old, but it sure takes rocking images!

Thanks for the post.

Feb 16, 2017 at 09:57 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · BIF with an old camera+ state-of-the-art lens

arbitrage wrote:
That is a classic dilemma which used to be a fairly simple answer until the drastic 600II weight savings occurred which was not proportional to the 500II's weight savings.

I have considered going down to the 500II many a time but I have always needed my 1200mm up here with the migrating terrified waterfowl. My 400DOII provides me with the mobility I need even though I do give up that f-stop.

Indeed, with the advent of the MkII lenses, the manner of long lens use has drifted in an ergonomically favourable direction.

Before the MIIs, 400 IS and 600 IS were really pod lenses. The 500 IS was a lens which a few had used handheld, but many off the pod. IMO, the 600 IQ was also inferior to 500 IQ.

Today a fair number of people are able to use 600 IS II handheld. The 500 IS II has become eminently handholdable even by folks who are less physically conditioned. The 600 IS II IQ has become at least equal to 500 IS II IQ.

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:05 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · BIF with an old camera+ state-of-the-art lens

Nice shots, Peter.
Hope you've been doing well. It appears that your 1DsII has!

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:30 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · BIF with an old camera+ state-of-the-art lens

Kinda jealous - what a great resource to have available and access to.

Nice clear raptor eyes are always lovely.

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:31 PM
RobAmy
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · BIF with an old camera+ state-of-the-art lens

Well done Peter, wish I had such a place around here

Feb 17, 2017 at 04:45 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · BIF with an old camera+ state-of-the-art lens

Thanx guys, glad you like the stuff.

For those folks that might be interested in attending a raptor-in-flight session by Canadian Raptor Conservancy, here's their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/Canadian-Raptor-Conservancy-187487077952041/

The usual fee for a 3 hr session is $80 (+ tax) per person. However, do not use my name as a referral because then you might get charged $160 or more.

The CRC owner (James) is a falconer extraordinaire and a bird expert, not a photographer. However, he can give you some useful free tips here and there, as needed.

They've got a number of American customers as well. For those that would want to cross to Fort Erie (Ontario) from Buffalo (NY), the westbound drive from there to the CRC compound near Port Dover (Vittoria) is less than 2 hrs along the Erie lakeshore.

Needless to say, I have no business relationship with CRC, nor do I get any benefits from my referrals. I am just another happy & returning customer trying to teach them some basics about light in bird photography.

Feb 17, 2017 at 06:55 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.