Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Q: Will Kipon Canon to M 4/3 Adapter Fit G85? Metabones? Commlite?

mmurph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Q: Will Kipon Canon to M 4/3 Adapter Fit G85? Metabones? Commlite?

I have a Kipon Canon EF to M 4/3 adapter that I have used in the past on Panasonic G7, GX8, and GX85 cameras.

I just received a new G85 today, and the adapter hits the "pentaprism" overhang (pop up flash) when I try to mount it on the body! It left a very small mark when I tried to mount it. I am afraid to "force" it on, I'm not sure how deep of a gouge it might make in the overhang.

I just ordered a Canon 400 mm 5.6 today that I had intended to use on the G85.

Has anyone successfully mounted the Kipon adapter on the G85?

There is a small "ear" that protrudes on all 4 corners, where the 2 parts of the adapter are secured by a screw. But there isn't much room to remove material, and I don't have any tools at my condo here.

+++

Otherwise, which Canon EF to M 4/3 adapters have folks successfully used on the G85? The Metabones? What about the Fotodiox?

+++

I plan to do a lot of 4K video, and only the G85 and GX85 have 5 Axis stabilization right now. That is pretty critical when working with long effective focal length lenses for wildlife video. Plus the upcoming G5, but I don't want to spend $2K on a M 4/3 body.

Otherwise I might need to go back to a GX85 for now?

Thanks for the help.

Best,
Michael

++++++++++++++++

Stock images added below! You can see the small "ears" on the Kipon adapter where they bolt together. Those are hitting the flash overhang.

The Metabones and Commlite adapters are round, so I assume that they will both mount okay. Of course, I can buy a used GX85 body to use with my Kipon adapter for about the same $399 cost as the Metabones adapter. That may be the better option!

Dose anyone have experience with the Commlite adapter? There are no reviews on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Commlite-Updated-Electronic-Auto-Focus-Panasonic/dp/B01M7R92SD

Kipon Adapter

Metabones Adapter

Commlite Adapter

Feb 16, 2017 at 07:48 PM
jwin
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Q: Will Kipon Canon to M 4/3 Adapter Fit G85? Metabones? Commlite?

Wow... too bad about G85 and Kipon adapter not clearing the top front curve of G85. I was thinking about picking up a G85 to use with the Kipon I already own.

I have no problem using Kipon with GH1 (GH1 also has similar hump for the popup flash) but seems G85 has less clearance. Perhaps grinding down one or two of the corners of Kipon with Dremel (without compromising the screw housing) might help? I can see 4 sharp edges sticking out on Kipon but just one or two may come into contact during the lens mount rotation path?

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:44 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Q: Will Kipon Canon to M 4/3 Adapter Fit G85? Metabones? Commlite?

Yeah, I really wish I had a Dremel! I think it would be pretty simple to remove enough material. But living in a condo, I don't have much room for tools and projects.

+++

So- I finished turning the adapter. It went on without a problem. It did scratch the finish, there is a 1/8 to 1/4 inch long, semi-circular mark, where you can see the metallic body under the paint. It is very subtle, but not something I really wanted to do with a brand new camera!

I will probably try to find a Dremel to take off some material anyway, so that it doesn't hit every time I use it.

+++

Oh well, what is done is done. I'd still be interested in hearing if anyone else comes across this situation. It was definitely unexpected!

If I hadn't already purchased the Canon 400 mm 5.6 to use on the G85 and on a Canon 80D, I might have just purchased the Panasonic 100-400 instead.

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:12 PM
jwin
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Q: Will Kipon Canon to M 4/3 Adapter Fit G85? Metabones? Commlite?

Ouch.... G85 got scratched up

If you have no access to a Dremel, rubbing away the offending corner of Kipon against a piece of sand paper placed flat on a table or a flat surface would do? One or two passes at a time until you can clear it, doesn't sound like you will need to remove a lot of material.

I would rather scratch up the kipon adapter than my camera itself if given a choice. It may be possible that clearance on Kipon adapter may vary from unit to unit due to minor variation during manufacturing ?

Feb 17, 2017 at 03:02 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Q: Will Kipon Canon to M 4/3 Adapter Fit G85? Metabones? Commlite?

Thanks jwin, that sounds like a good plan! I will have a go working on it manually with some sandpaper.

I agree about the variance from unit to unit. Just a slight change in the alignment of the mount on the adapter and it probably would have cleared. It was basically just the thickness of the paint that was too close to let it mount.

I hated to put a mark like that on a brand new camera! I try to take care of my gear. I am especially fussy when I go to sell, I agonize over any defect- I am a bit of a perfectionist at that point. But I guess in the end it is a tool to be used.

+++

I went out with the G85 for a couple of hours this afternoon. It feels like a great camera!

I loved the ergonomics of the GX8, but I really needed the 5 Axis stabilization for video. It makes a huge difference for wildlife work in particular when using a long lens!

Now I am looking forward to testing out the Canon 400 5.6 on it when that arrives on Tuesday.

Cheers! Thanks again.

Feb 17, 2017 at 07:01 PM
kmkime

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Q: Will Kipon Canon to M 4/3 Adapter Fit G85? Metabones? Commlite?

Just wondering whether anyone has experience with the metabones EF-MFT speedbooster on the G85. Its not listed at all on the metabones site (neither as compatible or incompatible). Thanks

May 07, 2017 at 03:46 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.