Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Show off thread - if you've got a Nikon 400 2.8 VR (not FL) get in here

Photozack81
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Show off thread - if you've got a Nikon 400 2.8 VR (not FL) get in here

I just picked up one of these from KEH. My main interest is wildlife and birding, but a lens like this will have plenty of other uses.

While I'm waiting for it to arrive, I'd like to see what others have done with similar equipment. Yes, I know that *all* of Nikon's 400mm 2.8 lenses are great but I'd like to see examples of what this lens can do. Birds are encouraged, but I'll accept any cool shots done with the 400 2.8 VR last gen, not the current FL version please!

Let's see your best shots with this lens, bonus points if you used a D7200 or similar (as that is what I have)

Tell me what you like and don't like about it. I already own a solid tripod and a gimbal, so I'm not too worried about the weight.

Feb 16, 2017 at 05:06 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Show off thread - if you've got a Nikon 400 2.8 VR (not FL) get in here

Have a look here to start with...I'm sure there are photos from both versions....
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1463904/0?keyword=400#13828694

Feb 16, 2017 at 07:38 PM
Photozack81
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Show off thread - if you've got a Nikon 400 2.8 VR (not FL) get in here

arbitrage wrote:
Have a look here to start with...I'm sure there are photos from both versions....

That thread is why I made one specific to this lens. There's a little bit of everything 400 in there.

Feb 16, 2017 at 07:39 PM
Christian H
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Show off thread - if you've got a Nikon 400 2.8 VR (not FL) get in here

Please check the relevant thread:

Feb 16, 2017 at 09:10 PM
Photozack81
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Show off thread - if you've got a Nikon 400 2.8 VR (not FL) get in here

Christian H wrote:
Please check the relevant thread:

I did.

As I already explained in this thread, I'd like to filter out everything that isn't this specific lens.

Feb 16, 2017 at 09:12 PM
Photozack81
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Show off thread - if you've got a Nikon 400 2.8 VR (not FL) get in here

Actually, nevermind. Mods can go ahead and delete this thread. Apparently me looking for inspiration specific to a lens that I just spent a ton of money on is irritating people.

Excuse me for trying to have a photography discussion on a photography board.

Feb 16, 2017 at 09:13 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Show off thread - if you've got a Nikon 400 2.8 VR (not FL) get in here

Photozack81 wrote:
Actually, nevermind. Mods can go ahead and delete this thread. Apparently me looking for inspiration specific to a lens that I just spent a ton of money on is irritating people.

Rookie mistake, we mostly bicker here about non-photography stuff.

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:13 PM
nuclearjock
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Show off thread - if you've got a Nikon 400 2.8 VR (not FL) get in here

Oh now come on,

D800 + 400 VR

100% crop, the optics are AMAZING.

Last one is a bit OOF. My bad, camera shake.

Edited on Feb 16, 2017 at 11:22 PM · View previous versions

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:20 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Show off thread - if you've got a Nikon 400 2.8 VR (not FL) get in here

Photozack81 wrote:

For the record, my post was not intended as a "do a search" type post, I was actually just trying to bump the thread and had found that thread so thought I'd add it to my post. I realize the post probably didn't come across as I intended. I'm interested in seeing more shots from that lens also. After I posted the link I actually went through the thread and realized there were very few from the lens you bought.

No need to delete the thread, looks like some have now joined and hopefully more will soon.

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:10 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Show off thread - if you've got a Nikon 400 2.8 VR (not FL) get in here

Photozack81 wrote:

Sorry: Don't play the victim.

No worries. We have all bought a lens wanting to see . . . Like you . . . what it was capable of.

You are going to love a Nikon 400 f/2.8 lens. I use a Nikon 400mm f/2.8 AF-S II and it is excellent. I could upgrade to a VR version but it wouldn't be worth the extra $$ . . . for I shoot sports and VR isn't needed. Your VR version will be even better. But not by much.

My 400 is excellent with all Nikon extenders (1.4x 1.7x and 2.0x). Shooting a 400 f/2.8 with a 2.0x with a D500 is amazing.

You will love your new lens. Enjoy it and share some pics.

I, like many would share pics . . . but you asked to only see the VR version.

Enjoy your new lens!

Be happy!!

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:21 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Show off thread - if you've got a Nikon 400 2.8 VR (not FL) get in here

I have this exact model and would, instead, recommend valuable accessorarion for this specific lens. First a Wimberley foot to work well with their Model 200 MKII gimbal.Then a Nikon Cl L2 "semi soft" case. It will hold the lens and a mounted body. There's a finger loop and a single, over one shoulder, casual strap.

Also a replacement for both the lens cap and lens hood. Aquatech makes a "plug" that can be fitted inside the objective's lens ring (flush but doesn't touch the front of the lens). This whether a lens hood is fitted or no. Also Aquatech's large lens hood. This is a very sturdy fabric wrap around which will allow you to set the lens down in it. You can wrap it around the lens body to fit it inside the CL L2.

This lens hood will fold flat for travel and cannot be broken or scratched like the two piece OEM CF hood. You might also consider a arca swiss handle to occasionally mount in the lens foot. This for even a bit of carrying and/or a some handheld. "Smallrig" makes one and so does Kirk. These accessories should go a ways to increasing the utilityof this superb lens.

I also reccomment you micro AF the lens with all your bodies and Tele extenders.

Feb 17, 2017 at 07:28 PM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Show off thread - if you've got a Nikon 400 2.8 VR (not FL) get in here

Check out some of skogis' posts with this lens - great sports shots

Feb 17, 2017 at 08:15 PM
Photozack81
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Show off thread - if you've got a Nikon 400 2.8 VR (not FL) get in here

SoundHound wrote:
I have this exact model and would, instead, recommend valuable accessorarion for this specific lens. First a Wimberley foot to work well with their Model 200 MKII gimbal.Then a Nikon Cl L2 "semi soft" case. It will hold the lens and a mounted body. There's a finger loop and a single, over one shoulder, casual strap.

Also a replacement for both the lens cap and lens hood. Aquatech makes a "plug" that can be fitted inside the objective's lens ring (flush but doesn't touch the front of the lens). This whether a lens hood is fitted or no. Also Aquatech's large
...Show more

A wimberley foot has already been ordered, expected to arrive Tuesday.

Regarding the cap and hood, I've been considering it but we'll see how that goes.

AF adjustments will need to wait for the wimberley foot to arrive, but it's definitely on the list. Every lens I own has needed a bump one way or the other, I don't suspect this one to be any different.

The arca swiss grip handle is an interesting idea. I was thinking about just foaming up part of the leg. The grip might be even better, but I'm seriously not expecting to be able to hand hold this monster.

Feb 17, 2017 at 08:26 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Show off thread - if you've got a Nikon 400 2.8 VR (not FL) get in here

Even so a handle is useful to move the lens around (even tugging it out of the CL L2). The lens is so heavy and awkward I only feel secure when I have the handle on the small Wimberely foot. As for hand holding it's mere seconds for me but the handle helps.

Feb 17, 2017 at 09:41 PM
la puffin
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Show off thread - if you've got a Nikon 400 2.8 VR (not FL) get in here

SoundHound wrote:
Also a replacement for both the lens cap and lens hood. Aquatech makes a "plug" that can be fitted inside the objective's lens ring (flush but doesn't touch the front of the lens). This whether a lens hood is fitted or no. Also Aquatech's large lens hood. This is a very sturdy fabric wrap around which will allow you to set the lens down in it. You can wrap it around the lens body to fit it inside the CL L2.

I give a +1 on the Aquatech lens cap. It's much more practical the the big soft lens cover.

Can you really stand the lens on end with the Aquatech hood? It's that sturdy?

Feb 18, 2017 at 03:14 AM
rick2906
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Show off thread - if you've got a Nikon 400 2.8 VR (not FL) get in here

+1 for the aquatech lens cap. I have it for my 600 f4e abd it is much better then the useless Nikon cap. I also use the lenscoat travel hood. Nice for saving space when traveling but I don't think it will hold up the 400mm 2.8 vr weight.

Feb 18, 2017 at 07:06 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Show off thread - if you've got a Nikon 400 2.8 VR (not FL) get in here

Not really a predicate although Aquatech advertises their lenshood will support the lens and camera.

Feb 18, 2017 at 08:06 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Show off thread - if you've got a Nikon 400 2.8 VR (not FL) get in here

I much prefer the design of the LensCoat lens hoods but those can definitely not stand on end. Many have claimed the Aquatech ones can but for a non-FL version of the 400 or 600 I would never try. I do love the Aquatech lens caps....great solution that I have on all my big lenses (except for my 600 that has a Don Zeck cap).

Feb 18, 2017 at 08:47 AM
Photozack81
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Show off thread - if you've got a Nikon 400 2.8 VR (not FL) get in here

It's here! The outside is beat up all to hell, but the glass is pristine. KEH gave me a smoking deal on this one.

Feb 18, 2017 at 03:52 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.