Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Which shutter is best for E-M1.2 and 300/4 Pro for birding?

k-h.a.w
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which shutter is best for E-M1.2 and 300/4 Pro for birding?

I typically like to shoot at 1/1000 to 1/2000 s @ F/5.6, C-AF, IBIS ON, HandHeld.

Which shutter works best: Sequential low? Anti-Shock low? Silent low?

Also should I use C-AF Tr instead of C-AF?

If this question has been posed before, could you please point me to the thread(s)?

TIA, K-H.

Feb 16, 2017 at 06:58 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which shutter is best for E-M1.2 and 300/4 Pro for birding?

I have not done any tests but I would personally go with Anti-Shock Low. But there will be some situations when I would try Pro-Capture Low.

Between C-AF and C-AF-TR I would rather go with C-AF. C-AF-TR would often pick the wrong focus point and the moving focus box just drives me nuts.

Feb 16, 2017 at 07:27 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which shutter is best for E-M1.2 and 300/4 Pro for birding?

bobbytan wrote:
I have not done any tests but I would personally go with Anti-Shock Low. But there will be some situations when I would try Pro-Capture Low.

Between C-AF and C-AF-TR I would rather go with C-AF. C-AF-TR would often pick the wrong focus point and the moving focus box just drives me nuts.

Thanks Bobby.

Doesn't Pro Capture use the silent electronic shutter? I have used Pro-Capture Low successfully on occasion.
As the speeds in the E-M1.2 have been improved so far I tend to prefer C-AF Silent Low. But I have wondered whether that's optimal.

K-H.

Feb 16, 2017 at 07:43 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which shutter is best for E-M1.2 and 300/4 Pro for birding?

Generally Silent Shutter gives you the sharpest images, as there is no shutter vibration ... but I think there are some limitations to shutter speeds and flash use.

k-h.a.w wrote:
Thanks Bobby.

Doesn't Pro Capture use the silent electronic shutter? I have used Pro-Capture Low successfully on occasion.
As the speeds in the E-M1.2 have been improved so far I tend to prefer C-AF Silent Low. But I have wondered whether that's optimal.

K-H.

Feb 16, 2017 at 07:46 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which shutter is best for E-M1.2 and 300/4 Pro for birding?

bobbytan wrote:
Generally Silent Shutter gives you the sharpest images, as there is no shutter vibration ... but I think there are some limitations to shutter speeds and flash use.

Thanks again Bobby.

Quoting from you: "Generally Silent Shutter gives you the sharpest images, as there is no shutter vibration." <-- That's good to know.
Quoting from you: "... but I think there are some limitations to shutter speeds and flash use." <-- IIRC Jim Kasson recommended using the mechanical shutter for A7r.2 for speeds faster than 1/1000s.
I understand that for fast action both EFCS and electronic shutter can lead to spurious artifacts. I will keep an eye out for those.

K-H.

Feb 16, 2017 at 08:00 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which shutter is best for E-M1.2 and 300/4 Pro for birding?

Some have said that you lose up as much as 1 stop of DR with Silent Shutter ... but I don't know if that is true.

k-h.a.w wrote:
Thanks again Bobby.

Quoting from you: "Generally Silent Shutter gives you the sharpest images, as there is no shutter vibration." <-- That's good to know.
Quoting from you: "... but I think there are some limitations to shutter speeds and flash use." <-- IIRC Jim Kasson recommended using the mechanical shutter for A7r.2 for speeds faster than 1/1000s.
I understand that for fast action both EFCS and electronic shutter can lead to spurious artifacts. I will keep an eye out for those.

K-H.

Feb 16, 2017 at 08:17 PM
gary0319
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which shutter is best for E-M1.2 and 300/4 Pro for birding?

I don't have the 300 f/4 and use the Panasonic 100-400 with my E-M1 II for BiFs and other wildlife. I've taken to using exclusively the electronic shutter and shutter speeds of 1/2000 or higher, C-AF no tracking, 3X3 focus box. I've found no drawbacks to the electronic shutter and really , really like the 18 frames per second with focusing between each shot. It doesn't mean that every image is in sharp focus, but my keeper rate went way up with this combo.

Feb 16, 2017 at 09:02 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which shutter is best for E-M1.2 and 300/4 Pro for birding?

Gary ... when you use your PL 100-400 on the E-M1.2 ... do you use IBIS or OIS?

Imagemaster - appreciate your take/input on the same question.

gary0319 wrote:
I don't have the 300 f/4 and use the Panasonic 100-400 with my E-M1 II for BiFs and other wildlife. I've taken to using exclusively the electronic shutter and shutter speeds of 1/2000 or higher, C-AF no tracking, 3X3 focus box. I've found no drawbacks to the electronic shutter and really , really like the 18 frames per second with focusing between each shot. It doesn't mean that every image is in sharp focus, but my keeper rate went way up with this combo.

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:00 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which shutter is best for E-M1.2 and 300/4 Pro for birding?

gary0319 wrote:

Thanks Gary. This seems to pretty much describe my experience with E-M1.2 and 300/4 Pro.
Sometimes it also makes sense to use a single focus square with magnification or all the focus points.

Following is an image that was shot with all focus points active.The width of the image is only reduced in size, but not cropped.

Today was a busy travel day for the migrating Sandhill cranes. They flew extremely high and fast.
I could hear them and sometimes guess the general direction where they seemed to be.
But I couldn't see them with my eyes unaided.

That's where all the E-M1.2 focus points and their terrific focusing speed came in handy.
Scanning the sky with shutter button halfway pressed the green focusing squares would light up whenever birds or an airplane came into focus.
That makes it easy to shoot a bunch of images with C-AF Silent low.

K-H.

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:11 PM
gary0319
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which shutter is best for E-M1.2 and 300/4 Pro for birding?

bobbytan wrote:

Mostly I've been using the lens OIS and it seems to do the job just fine. However, lately I've been experimenting by using the IBIS on stationary birds. I'm thinking that perhaps.....just perhaps, that the IBIS is giving me a more stable image in the viewfinder for stationary shooting. I still use the OIS for BiFs since I like having the view stable before I do the half press to lock in the focus.

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which shutter is best for E-M1.2 and 300/4 Pro for birding?

bobbytan wrote:

Generally, I am using IBIS, but that is only because some have said it works better than the OIS on the 100-400. Have not actually seen any proof of that.

Also, I have not seen any confirmation that the effects of IBIS and OIS on the Pany are cumulative. The PDF manual makes no mention of it.

On another note, did the firmware update on the Pany 100-400 completely fix the focus-limiter problem with the E-M1 Mk II? And can this firmware be installed on the lens without using a Pany body?

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:30 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which shutter is best for E-M1.2 and 300/4 Pro for birding?

Thanks Gary and Tony! I can't contribute any answer as I don't have this lens. I was asking this question on behalf of a friend.

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:52 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Which shutter is best for E-M1.2 and 300/4 Pro for birding?

You can use all the focus points even for a single BIF .... if you have a clear blue sky i.e. nothing else that the camera can possibly lock-focus on.

k-h.a.w wrote:
Thanks Gary. This seems to pretty much describe my experience with E-M1.2 and 300/4 Pro.
Sometimes it also makes sense to use a single focus square with magnification or all the focus points.

Following is an image that was shot with all focus points active.The width of the image is only reduced in size, but not cropped.
https://photos.smugmug.com/KHW/Pics-by-Date/2017-02-16-E-M123004-PRO-Fast-High-Flying-Sandhill-Cranes/i-TGD7Q8J/1/O/_2160092%20Stretched%20out%20crane%20flock_5184x701_1988x269.jpg
Today was a busy travel day for the migrating Sandhill cranes. They flew extremely high and fast.
I could hear them and sometimes guess the general direction where they seemed to be.
But I couldn't see them with my eyes unaided.

That's where all the E-M1.2 focus points
...Show more

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:54 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Which shutter is best for E-M1.2 and 300/4 Pro for birding?

The old Canon and Nikon wisdom or theory was that OIS works significantly better than IBIS for longer focal lengths. Having said that, Olympus have taken IBIS to whole a new level ... so I think IBIS today (at least with Olympus bodies) is possibly just as good if not better than OIS.

gary0319 wrote:
Mostly I've been using the lens OIS and it seems to do the job just fine. However, lately I've been experimenting by using the IBIS on stationary birds. I'm thinking that perhaps.....just perhaps, that the IBIS is giving me a more stable image in the viewfinder for stationary shooting. I still use the OIS for BiFs since I like having the view stable before I do the half press to lock in the focus.

Feb 17, 2017 at 12:02 AM
gary0319
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Which shutter is best for E-M1.2 and 300/4 Pro for birding?

Imagemaster wrote:
Generally, I am using IBIS, but that is only because some have said it works better than the OIS on the 100-400. Have not actually seen any proof of that.

Also, I have not seen any confirmation that the effects of IBIS and OIS on the Pany are cumulative. The PDF manual makes no mention of it.

On another note, did the firmware update on the Pany 100-400 completely fix the focus-limiter problem with the E-M1 Mk II? And can this firmware be installed on the lens without using a Pany body?

I did the 100-400 firmware update with the lens on my E-M1 II without a hitch and yes, it did fix the focus limiter glitch. I should mention that, although I found no slow down with using just the "full" focus limiter setting on the lens before the fix, I think it does a little better job of coming to focus after the fix.

Feb 17, 2017 at 01:40 AM
bengeo

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Which shutter is best for E-M1.2 and 300/4 Pro for birding?

bobbytan wrote:
Some have said that you lose up as much as 1 stop of DR with Silent Shutter ... but I don't know if that is true.

No, that's not true with Olympus. I think there was a slight loss with some Panasonic cameras.

Feb 18, 2017 at 11:33 AM
dalite
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Which shutter is best for E-M1.2 and 300/4 Pro for birding?

Somewhere I read from a review that this lens on the E-M1 II is all-or-nothing with regards to IBIS+OIS. I gather this to mean that if you turn off one, then the other feature is also negated. Don't know if there is any improvement in their cumulative use. See also Imagemaster's comments above on this topic.

Feb 20, 2017 at 01:18 AM
k-h.a.w
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Which shutter is best for E-M1.2 and 300/4 Pro for birding?

A related but slightly different topic.

E-M1.2 + 150/2 @ f/2.8, C-AF Silent low.

From my preliminary testing I got the impression that my keeper rate was higher with S-AF Silent low than with C-AF Silent low.
Hmm, there seems more focus variability in C-AF with the 150/2 lens.
Focusing is relatively noisy, but fast, although not as fast as with the 40-150/2.8 Pro or the 300/4 Pro.
Any feedback most welcome. TIA

K-H.

Feb 20, 2017 at 07:10 AM
rxgolf
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Which shutter is best for E-M1.2 and 300/4 Pro for birding?

I still am not sure of something. IBIS + lens stabilization with Oly 12-100 is cumulative. My question is not so much is IBIS + Pany stabilization cumulative but do they oppose one another in a way that you don't get the efficacy of just using one or the other? In short, does one have to be turned off to get best stabilization. I thought I had read that but I am not sure in practice if I see it?
Greg

Feb 20, 2017 at 10:50 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Which shutter is best for E-M1.2 and 300/4 Pro for birding?

Yes, IS will be erratic at best when you have a Panny lens on an Olympus body (and vice versa) and IBIS and optical IS are both activated. To enjoy the benefit of Sync-IS or Duai-IS it has to be all Olympus or all Panasonic body and lens. But really, you don't lose that much. IBIS or lens IS on its own works pretty well as you get up to 5.5 stops.

rxgolf wrote:
I still am not sure of something. IBIS + lens stabilization with Oly 12-100 is cumulative. My question is not so much is IBIS + Pany stabilization cumulative but do they oppose one another in a way that you don't get the efficacy of just using one or the other? In short, does one have to be turned off to get best stabilization. I thought I had read that but I am not sure in practice if I see it?
Greg

Feb 20, 2017 at 02:44 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password