New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2017 · Smoking break

nandadevieast
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Smoking break

Recently i was trekking up from a village in lower himalayas and i felt miserable.
I am trying to quit, 28th day without cigarettes and 5th day without nicotine.
I started to feel i will not be able to trek hard or travel to remote places if I didn't pay attention to my health.
Don't want to limit myself to easier locations
How many of you smoked and quit, and how many of you have no plans to quit? Senior members? Do you think something like this has affected your travelling and photography, especially landscapers and travellers?
Its off topic, but not really.
Nde

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:08 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Smoking break

Hi Nde,

I smoked for about 30 years. I quit in 2000, on the third serious attempt. Hang in there. It's worth it.

Jim

P.S. this thread will probably get moved to "Forum & Misc".

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:14 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Smoking break

I have never smoked nor will I ever start. Don't understand the reason why people start but, I can empathize with the addiction and the difficulty successfully stopping the habit.

On a more photography gear note, I responded to a local CL listing for used gears and when I met the seller, I couldn't believe the strong smell of cigarette smoke all over the camera and lenses I was contemplating buying. I'm sure the seller didn't realize. Needless to say, I didn't buy any of the gear.

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:22 AM
shutterbug guy
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Smoking break

I smoked and chewed for 30+ years, quit over 10 years ago. I do on occasion miss the smoking, not the chewing. Both were hard to overcome so I've promised myself that when I get well into the golden years that I'll enjoy the occasional smoke again. At that stage in my life what could I lose?

What I don't miss is the need to carry around smokes, lighter and chew like when transporting an infant i/e bottles, formula, diapers, etc. Having to step outside for a nicotine fix, the stench, the nastiness on my teeth, hands, etc. are not missed.

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:27 AM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Smoking break

When I was young, I was a two pack a day smoker for years. But I caught the flu and was so sick I quit smoking and it didn't even bother me among the other miseries. A bit unusual approach, but it sure worked! Tobacco free for over 30 years.

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:31 AM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Smoking break

.. Cigarette tobacco is the worst stuff you can smoke. Treated chemically for nicotine consistency and rolled in treated paper (so it stays lit).

Cigars from the Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, and of coarse Cuba have tobaccos that set the World standard for quality .. Best if used after age 69 ..

Scotch .. Now that's something that can kill you ..

Post Script: Scotch spilled on an expensive camera may render the camera useless .. !

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:59 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Smoking break

I never smoked much but quit completely when my wife had a breast cancer scare a few years ago.

It immediately put into perspective how stupid I was being that she could have this happen without doing a thing wrong and I was actually encouraging cancer to take hold of me by smoking.

It was the easiest thing I ever did. Life is more important than fags, it really is.

Now giving up beer.. different matter!

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:06 PM
tsangc
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Smoking break

On a more photography gear note, I responded to a local CL listing for used gears and when I met the seller, I couldn't believe the strong smell of cigarette smoke all over the camera and lenses I was contemplating buying. I'm sure the seller didn't realize. Needless to say, I didn't buy any of the gear.

On a Canon note, I bought a EF75-300mm for $50 to use as a disposable travel lens from a smoker. When I got it home, it was still reeking of smoke and didn't seem to dissipate. I pulled all the rubber grip rings off of it, scurbbed them with soap and soaked them in disinfectant for a few days. That did the trick. No longer smelly.

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:33 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Smoking break

tsangc wrote:
On a Canon note, I bought a EF75-300mm for $50 to use as a disposable travel lens from a smoker. When I got it home, it was still reeking of smoke and didn't seem to dissipate. I pulled all the rubber grip rings off of it, scurbbed them with soap and soaked them in disinfectant for a few days. That did the trick. No longer smelly.

Was the lens still as crap as the copy I once had?

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:35 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Smoking break

I smoked 30+ years and seriously worked to quit after 2000. I pretty much quit my 1/2 pack a day habit after minor heart attack in 2005. But I enjoyed it all those prior years. Quitting was not too hard after a couple days withdrawl, which is like having a strong cold. Making the decision to quit seems to be harder than quitting, IMO.

Personally, I don't consider something that takes 30-60 years to kill you to be too serious a threat. When someone provides a cure for death, well, then smoking could be considered suicidal.

But if you have an existing health condition, or want top physical performance, I wouldn't recommend smoking.

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:43 PM
Mickey
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Smoking break

Gunzorro wrote:
I smoked 30+ years and seriously worked to quit after 2000. I pretty much quit my 1/2 pack a day habit after minor heart attack in 2005. But I enjoyed it all those prior years. Quitting was not too hard after a couple days withdrawl, which is like having a strong cold. Making the decision to quit seems to be harder than quitting, IMO.

Personally, I don't consider something that takes 30-60 years to kill you to be too serious a threat. When someone provides a cure for death, well, then smoking could be considered suicidal.

But if you have an
...Show more

I suspect if the doctor walked in tomorrow and said you have lung cancer you might change your position. Right?

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:49 PM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Smoking break

You did it because you knew that the optical quality of that lens will not get affected by washing it.

tsangc wrote:

Feb 16, 2017 at 01:02 PM
garydavidjones
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Smoking break

I was born when my chain-smoking parents were 45. Every morning I
was treated to a vivid anti-smoking message while watching my parents
have their daily smoker's cough complete with the unpleasant noises and
fluids. Mother died a slow painful death from emphysema at age 75.

Never smoked one cigarette.

Feb 16, 2017 at 01:52 PM
alberta47

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Smoking break

I was a smoker. I quit when my son was born 34 years ago . I am now 67 and pay for all of my photo gear with the money I feel I save by not having a smoking habit. Although I quit many years ago I still have an addiction to tobacco and must be very careful to stay as far away as possible from it.

Feb 16, 2017 at 02:02 PM
maestrofilms
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Smoking break

The 4th time I tried to quit, I was using patches but still struggling with it. Then I started reading about nicotine and how the addiction works in your brain. It made me think about my life. When you're a smoker, your entire life revolves around cigarettes and you don't even realize it. After doing that reading, I pulled off the nicotine patch I had on and never put one on again. It was easy after that. When that switch in your mind gets flicked, it's not even a struggle anymore.

There is an app called Cessation Nation for your phone. I highly recommend installing it and entering your quit date. It shows you how many days without and how many cigarettes you haven't had.

In 4 1/2 years...... 34,000 cigarettes!!!!! That is a real eye-opener.

It's the best thing I ever did for myself.

Feb 16, 2017 at 02:35 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Smoking break

I smoked on and off (mostly on) until 2002. Quit cold turkey. Didn't kill anybody, which in hindsight, is probably a miracle!

Seriously, quitting is tough, but it gets easier and easier as time passes. But it's worth it. You'll feel better. You'll be able to do things that you maybe hadn't done in years. Heck, I took up running when I was 52. Stopped running at 56 though because despite the heart and lungs being willing, the knee wasn't.

Feb 16, 2017 at 02:38 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Smoking break

The Smoking Canon .. Latest Smoking News

From TheGardian:
Keith Richards's smoking habits and the death of a rare orchid:

It is not exactly on the scale of trashing a hotel room, but Keith Richards has been blamed for killing an orchid at a library in New York, sending the plant on a death spiral with a few puffs of cigarette smoke.

.. Jun 8, 2016 - ROLLING Stone Ronnie Wood is packing in the fags — to the horror of his hard-partying bandmate Keith Richards. The guitarist, 69, has switched to e-cigarettes after his wife Sally, 38, gave birth to their twin girls Alice and Gracie last month.

Keith Richards stopped drinking a few months ago over health concerns, but is refusing to listen to medical risks and quit his favourite cigarettes.

Feb 16, 2017 at 02:51 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Smoking break

Smoked for about 30 years and tried every imaginable trick in the book to quit.
I tried Nic gum and patches, hypnotism, Chantix and just plain cold turkey numerous times.

Nothing worked until my wife and I both finally quit 7 years ago when we started vaping. I haven't had a single puff off a cigarette ever since and have slowly been dropping my nic level down and will eventually stop vaping as well. There is a lot of misinformation out there about vaping thanks to the big pharmaceutical and tobacco companies that are in the back pockets of our government.

Feb 16, 2017 at 03:10 PM
Sashi
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Smoking break

Smoked for 12 years, 40+ cigarettes a day. My friend told me that I was addicted to nicotine. To prove him wrong, quit smoking New Years day 2002 and haven't smoked since then.

The first few weeks were hard, and I always kept a pack next to me, but the more I saw the stuff I was bringing out (nicotine tar is yuck), the more I was determined to quit. I still have the steel Zippo lighter my then fiance and now wife had gifted :-)

The impact on my life is immeasurable. I am into hiking and road biking and love that my body is becoming more capable as the impact of nicotine decreased over time. And the extra money saved (as little as it is, it adds up - 2 packs a day over 12 years = a lot of gear)

Feb 16, 2017 at 03:34 PM
tsangc
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Smoking break

You did it because you knew that the optical quality of that lens will not get affected by washing it.

Yeah, it's not the top of the line lens, is it? I'm actually one of the few people who actually deliberately bought one instead of finding it in a kit package.

It was a bit of an experiment. At the time I shot 95% of my photos traveling with my 24-70mm on a 5D and I wasn't going to bring my 70-200mm f2.8L IS. I was going to Barcelona which has a reputation for pickpockets, so I figured I'd bring a cheap lens for the other 5% where I needed compression or distance.

The options I looked at included:

-EF70-300mm DO (too expensive)
-EF55-200mm (an old lens, couldn't find one locally)
-EFs55-250mm with rear mount swapped (wasn't sure how much it would vignette, turns out always and a lot as the image circle is smaller)
-EF50-200mm f/3.5-4.5L (too expensive, though I did find a used one at a local photo/passport shop)

The EF75-300mm in its nicotine stained smelly glory stopped to f8 it wasn't that bad, since it was sunny Spain. It wasn't incredible, but you know, I don't regret it. It was compact enough to put in my cargo pant pockets and to hold my 5D safely in my hands, freeing me from using a backpack in the city.

Here's an example of a file from it:

https://tsangc.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/journal-europe2009-day3-leaves.jpg

Feb 16, 2017 at 04:44 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.