New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Pageant Prep Session

KristinSmall
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pageant Prep Session

I have been side-tracked by a computer crash, so FINALLY getting a chance to finish these portraits of my daughter taken in her pageant dress. I especially appreciate this session, because I was not feeling well when we went out and, thus, was less than inspired. Thankfully, my pageant girl came though and I got some really great shots of her! I generally love doing stuff like this -- the wardrobe, (small-town) urban setting, lighting (Golden Hour,) and season. Of course, a pretty, willing model only helps! Feel free to ask me anything.

1.) One of my first shots and probably my favorite of the lot!

2.)

3.)

4.)
[/url]

5.)
[/url]

6.)

7.)

8.)

Feb 15, 2017 at 05:30 PM
boxman
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pageant Prep Session

I really like all of these, the first is my favorite, too.

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:32 AM
bwalwork
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pageant Prep Session

Very nice set of images of a lovely young woman. You both did good!

Feb 16, 2017 at 09:31 PM
ucphotog
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pageant Prep Session

Took me a moment to figure out that there are plants out of focus in the foreground on the first one. It looks like you figured out how to light up the dress.

I think I agree about the first one being best. A nice set, especially for one taken when not well.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:54 PM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pageant Prep Session

Nice set- nice exposures, poses and model. Photo 4- I am not into the tree trunk lining perfectly with her head, however. She's great

Feb 20, 2017 at 09:25 PM
KristinSmall
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pageant Prep Session

boxman wrote:
I really like all of these, the first is my favorite, too.

Thanks! I have that one on display.
---------------------------------------------

bwalwork wrote:
Very nice set of images of a lovely young woman. You both did good!

Thank you so much. She really salvaged it.

ucphotog wrote:
Took me a moment to figure out that there are plants out of focus in the foreground on the first one. It looks like you figured out how to light up the dress.

I think I agree about the first one being best. A nice set, especially for one taken when not well.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Thanks so much -- yes, that is from the flowers.

Charles Loy wrote:
Nice set- nice exposures, poses and model. Photo 4- I am not into the tree trunk lining perfectly with her head, however. She's great

Thank you!

Feb 21, 2017 at 10:57 AM
BobnJake
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pageant Prep Session

Beautiful daughter, good job!

Feb 24, 2017 at 09:44 AM
KristinSmall
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pageant Prep Session

Thank you!

Feb 25, 2017 at 10:20 AM
MartikaG

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pageant Prep Session

The first one is also my favorite! Thanks for sharing!

Mar 24, 2017 at 01:27 AM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pageant Prep Session

Lovely set and daughter. She exudes a confidence that is very nice to see in a young woman. I particularly like #1, which is a popular choice, and also #6. Those in between are very nice and done exactly to your preference. I just find the backlit, golden hour warmth can be overdone. The colors are so nice and bold in the first and her glowing, flowing hair looks great. I think the warm bokeh circles and wonderful purple dress pop so well against the cooler stone background in #6. Very cool reflections and terrific bokeh. I think it is also smart that you included a full body shot along with all the tighter crops. For a memory shot of this occasion, you want a killer dress shot.
Very well done.

Mar 25, 2017 at 11:44 PM
KristinSmall
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pageant Prep Session

Brev00 wrote:
Lovely set and daughter. She exudes a confidence that is very nice to see in a young woman. I particularly like #1, which is a popular choice, and also #6. Those in between are very nice and done exactly to your preference. I just find the backlit, golden hour warmth can be overdone. The colors are so nice and bold in the first and her glowing, flowing hair looks great. I think the warm bokeh circles and wonderful purple dress pop so well against the cooler stone background in #6. Very cool reflections and terrific bokeh. I think it is
...Show more

Thank you so much for the detailed critique! I definitely had to get the full dress in and did in a few others I didn't post here, too. It was just a gorgeous dress and the prime motivator of the session.

Mar 26, 2017 at 10:32 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pageant Prep Session

Lovely set.

Only nit is that she is obviously trying her best not to show her teeth when smiling... a pet peeve of mine

greg

Mar 27, 2017 at 04:47 AM
KristinSmall
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Pageant Prep Session

gheller wrote:
Lovely set.

Only nit is that she is obviously trying her best not to show her teeth when smiling... a pet peeve of mine

greg

I have to say that I have this problem with almost all my teens! In fact, it's hard to get any kind of smile out of them. Now, this girl has a slight overbite, but there is something more to this trend. Well, she's much happier with her photos this way (but I know parents like those pearly whites.)

Mar 27, 2017 at 03:20 PM
sqphotography
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Pageant Prep Session

Lovely daughter!
Very nice shots! I think you used the settings very well

Mar 27, 2017 at 06:17 PM
mkenaston

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Pageant Prep Session

Your watermarks distract from your images.

Apr 25, 2017 at 11:08 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Pageant Prep Session

mkenaston wrote:
Your watermarks distract from your images.

You only post every six months or so, mkenaston, but I must admit, it's always worth the wait.

Apr 25, 2017 at 11:49 PM
01Ryan10
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Pageant Prep Session

nolaguy wrote:
You only post every six months or so, mkenaston, but I must admit, it's always worth the wait.

lol.

Apr 26, 2017 at 12:07 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Pageant Prep Session

nice set

Apr 30, 2017 at 10:41 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Pageant Prep Session

KristinSmall wrote:
I have to say that I have this problem with almost all my teens! In fact, it's hard to get any kind of smile out of them. Now, this girl has a slight overbite, but there is something more to this trend. Well, she's much happier with her photos this way (but I know parents like those pearly whites.)

It is ok to have those awkward closed mouth smiles if she wants some... BUT it is up to us to bring out her true spirit and get her laughing and smiling (with teeth). Her parents will love them even more and she won't look back at these years later and wonder why there are no smiling shots.

HTH

greg

Apr 30, 2017 at 03:17 PM
MikeMancil
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Pageant Prep Session

First of all, a beautiful young lady and I'll go with the majority and pick #1 for the cover page pose and oozing personality. I could like it better without the branches but an excellent shot regardless... Mike

Apr 30, 2017 at 09:28 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.