New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · A7s using APS-C

PhilthePhrame
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A7s using APS-C

At 12 MP Full Frame, the A7s is only about 5 MP when used as APS-C. I took this image on the APS-C by mistake, using the Full Frame Sigma 150- 600 C.
The night before I had been playing with the APS-C 18-105 on the A7s and forgot to re-set it to Full Frame.
While I'm kicking myself for not having got this shot at FF, I thought it was surprisingly good for 5 MP.

Feb 15, 2017 at 02:44 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A7s using APS-C

The elements of the scene included in the APS-C image are of the same resolution as FF, so you wouldn't expect the resulting image to be any different in terms of detail. The only difference is that you're getting a subset (crop) of the image, so in this example you'll be missing the scenery around the bird.

Feb 15, 2017 at 03:02 PM
PhilthePhrame
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A7s using APS-C

snapsy wrote:
The elements of the scene included in the APS-C image are of the same resolution as FF, so you wouldn't expect the resulting image to be any different in terms of detail. The only difference is that you're getting a subset (crop) of the image, so in this example you'll be missing the scenery around the bird.

Thanks for the interesting and helpful reply.

Am I understanding this correctly that the 5 MP at the cropped size of the sensor yields the same resolution as 12 MP using the full size of the sensor. hence the same resolution?

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:19 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A7s using APS-C

PhilthePhrame wrote:
Thanks for the interesting and helpful reply.

Am I understanding this correctly that the 5 MP at the cropped size of the sensor yields the same resolution as 12 MP using the full size of the sensor. hence the same resolution?

That's correct. It's as if you took the full 12MP FF image and then cut out a smaller box inside it - that's your crop.

That said, if you hadn't accidentally used the crop mode then you likely would have shot this scene with a longer focal length (to achieve the same framing/FOV), which means the same image would be 12MP instead of 5MP, with a commensurate increase in resolution/quality.

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:54 AM
Zplusc3
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A7s using APS-C

I've done that a couple of times. I use the sigma 18-35mm in crop mode.
I wish there was a way to assign quick access to switching aps-c to FF

Feb 16, 2017 at 03:45 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.