Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Good, Budget m4/3 that Works With 300mm?

AmbientMike
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Good, Budget m4/3 that Works With 300mm?

The shutter died on my GH1. Video and slow ss still work, but I need to get another m4/3. Also open to other mirrorless.

The big thing I am worried about is using a 300mm. I have a Nikkor 300/4.5 and a Tamron 300/2.8 that I use, mostly for birds.

There some really inexpensive ones, but many seem to have just a screen on the back. I'm skeptical this would work for focusing telephotos, interested in any ideas, though.

Some of the things that are nice but not necessary: I really like the articulating screen, and a 16mp sensor might be nice. Rain resistance is a plus.

Suggestions?

Feb 15, 2017 at 05:00 PM
notherenow
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Good, Budget m4/3 that Works With 300mm?

Just about anything recent would be an upgrade and worth getting for you if it has an EVF.

I would look at cameras that have IBIS though at least with M4/3.

I don't mind my GX7. Now an older model so can be found cheap, has a nice EVF and it (EVF) tilts. IBIS is pretty basic and doesn't work for video but is better than nothing with a lens like the 300 2.8 Tamron.

It is not weather sealed but neither is the Tamron 300 2.8 and dumb adapter. It is quite well built.
Issues are. Video only goes to ISO 3200, No mic jack or headphone jack, the EVF while nice has some tearing, AA filter is a bit heavier than most I think, if put in silent mode it has severe rolling shutter (for stills) if you pan quickly, very bad banding in some light with electronic shutter and some limitations with auto ISO. All those are not really serious issues to me with the camera as a second system.

In its favour, well it HAS a fully electronic mode with completely silent shutter, touch screen is very nice (which works well with silent mode), I love that tilting EVF, 1/8000 mechanical shutter, faster flash sync than most (1/320) which works great with the little built in flash and helps with a 300 2.8 lens in a pinch, IBIS (though as I said is a bit basic and doesn't work for video)

Others to consider would be the Oly IBIS cameras. Some of those are sealed though the same issue applies about lens and adapters.

Maybe have a look at DPRs buying guide

https://www.dpreview.com/products/search/cameras#criterias=SpecsCoreParams%2CSpecsSensorSize%2CSpecsViewfinderType¶mSpecsCoreParamsBodyType=RangefinderStyleMirrorless%2CSLRStyleMirrorless¶mSpecsSensorSize=FourThirds¶mSpecsViewfinderType=Electronic
and use the features you want (mirrorless cameras with a 4/3 sensor and EVF shows 24 cameras). Add in weather sealing and/or IBIS will reduce the numbers.

I don't like going above ISO 3200 with my GX7 though will go to ISO 6400 if I have to (I have an A7s so I mostly don't have to) so for me, it is a day time system.
The latest m4/3, I would likely be comfortable with ISO 6400 a bit more than my GX7.

I might take my GX7 and Tamron 300 2.8 (mine is an old adaptall 60b) for a walk later today.

Feb 15, 2017 at 06:39 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Good, Budget m4/3 that Works With 300mm?

These 5-axis Olympus cameras will provide 100% integration with the 300mm f/4 and its image stabilization:

E-M5
E-M5 Mark II
E-M1
E-M1 Mark II

Of these I would recommend the E-M5 Mark II which provides the best value at its current price. Or buy a used E-M5 Mark II or E-M1 camera.

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:36 PM
AmbientMike
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Good, Budget m4/3 that Works With 300mm?

notherenow wrote:
Just about anything recent would be an upgrade and worth getting for you if it has an EVF.

I would look at cameras that have IBIS though at least with M4/3.

I don't mind my GX7. Now an older model so can be found cheap, has a nice EVF and it (EVF) tilts. IBIS is pretty basic and doesn't work for video but is better than nothing with a lens like the 300 2.8 Tamron.

It is not weather sealed but neither is the Tamron 300 2.8 and dumb adapter. It is quite well built.
Issues are. Video only
...Show more

I have the 60B, also. Excellent lens. I have had good luck with it on my m4/3. Better at f/4, and even sharper at 5.6.
I haven’t needed IBIS, really, I seem to do ok, the GH1 seems to have a mild shutter. Wouldn't hurt, though, I'm happy to shoot at 1/250, and get a good shot, how low do you get using IBIS? Might be a good upgrade

Thanks for the great suggestions, I wasn't aware of that guide. Really makes it easier, I havent kept up with the different models. Another I had looked at was the EM-5, it seems to be in the same price range as the GX7.

I already have a digital recorder I got for video, so I don't really need a mic jack. Not that I do a lot of video. I avoid going over 1600 on my GH1,usually stay at 800 or less, so 3200 or maybe 6400 on the GX7 would be a big improvement.

Just got the free DxO 9 download, so hopefully that will help with high isos.

You might try the articulating screen sometime, if you like the tilting screen. Really handy for awkward angles on a tripod.

Feb 16, 2017 at 05:12 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

notherenow
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Good, Budget m4/3 that Works With 300mm?

I just went for a walk with the GX7 and Tamron 300 2.8. I am so out of practice with this lens especially on the GX7.

I actually much prefer the lens on my A7s, mainly because the auto ISO isn't great with the GX7. I can also use much higher ISOs and or faster shutter speeds. That might be pretty important for you.

Was the wrong time of day pretty much the hottest part of the day with the sun out and bright on a fairly hot day.

I do find the lens better at f4. I dropped my lens a while ago and it has not been as good as it used to be.

Just a quick as taken snaps resized. Looks a bit digital to me but looks a bit better full size I think.

DMC-GX7    0mm    f/0.0    1/1000s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

DMC-GX7    0mm    f/0.0    1/500s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Feb 16, 2017 at 07:00 AM
AmbientMike
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Good, Budget m4/3 that Works With 300mm?

notherenow wrote:
I just went for a walk with the GX7 and Tamron 300 2.8. I am so out of practice with this lens especially on the GX7.

I actually much prefer the lens on my A7s, mainly because the auto ISO isn't great with the GX7. I can also use much higher ISOs and or faster shutter speeds. That might be pretty important for you.

Was the wrong time of day pretty much the hottest part of the day with the sun out and bright on a fairly hot day.

I do find the lens better at f4. I dropped my lens
...Show more

I've gotten better bird photos since I started using a 300mm on m4/3. It has been SOOOOOOOO much better than 400mm ff equivalent for me. I use the Tamron and I got an old Nikkor H 300, too, which isn't as bad as it was supposed to be.

I dropped mine as well, still seems pretty good though.

The 2.8 lets me stay at f/4 or so, and keep the iso at 800 most of the time. I'm usually wider than 5.6, so I don't use my 200-500 a lot, it is 5.6 wide open and it really doesn’t hurt it to stop down. Plus I think a lot of teles that can be used at f/4 are heavier.

Feb 27, 2017 at 09:13 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Good, Budget m4/3 that Works With 300mm?

You might want to look at the Olympus March deals:

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/featured_weekly_deals

Feb 27, 2017 at 09:29 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password