New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Best consumer level super telephoto?

formula4speed
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best consumer level super telephoto?

Has anyone compared the various super telephoto lenses against each other? Any of them notably better than the others? Panasonic has the 45-200mm (I have this) and 100-300mm, Olympus has a 75-300mm. Anything to gain from an IQ standpoint between the current options for those who can't afford the newer 100-400 or 300 f/4?

I don't shoot long very often, so hard to justify the cost of the high end stuff. At the same time my 45-200 leaves something to be desired at the long end. In my case I have the E-M1.2, so OIS isn't critical.

Feb 15, 2017 at 03:48 PM
kwalsh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best consumer level super telephoto?

Both the 75-300 and 100-300 will certainly be better than the 45-200 from 150 onward. The 45-200 gets weak from about 150 or 175 onward depending on how good your copy is. I don't have the 100-300 but it compares quite closely with the 75-300 which I do have. I've shot the 75-300 against the 45-200 and 45-175 and it definitely has the edge at the longer end of those lenses.

Keep in mind for all of these super telephoto lenses if your subject is quite far away (so landscape kinds of shots) then the optics really don't matter much as atmospheric effects will limit the IQ way before the lens does. It is in wildlife and sports shots where the IQ of the different lenses is more obvious. That said the main place they differ though is in corner performance and for sports and wildlife the corners are often out of focus anyway. So how much real world advantage you'd see from any given lens really depends on your use case.

Feb 15, 2017 at 04:30 PM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best consumer level super telephoto?

Thanks, that's good information. I would expect any of the longer lenses to better around 200mm just because zooms tend to be weakest at the ends of their range.

I don't typically use such long lenses for landscapes, so corner sharpness isn't a huge deal and not something I'd expect at the price point I want. Mostly I pull the long lens out for things like my nephew playing t-ball, the odd hawk happening to land in my yard, whale watching on vacation. Nothing earth shattering, but it's nice to have some reach now and then. I'll have to look into the other lenses a little more.

Feb 15, 2017 at 05:05 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best consumer level super telephoto?

For your uses, you can also use Canon lenses adapted with ok AF (at least AFS, maybe AFC with your camera and some combinations though that remains to be seen). That would bring a lens like the Canon 50-250 STM into it (though many other too) and with the Kipon smart adapter would not be too expensive. Metabones smart adapter would be a little dearer.

Feb 15, 2017 at 06:47 PM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best consumer level super telephoto?

I've considered Canon glass since I could use it with my A7 as well, but the adapter price alone is close to the price of some of the lenses on the used market.

I wouldn't mind trying an adapted 200 2.8L, I really liked that lens in my Canon days. It's just not in the budget right now after getting the new camera.

Feb 15, 2017 at 07:59 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best consumer level super telephoto?

Metabones smart adapter would be a bit dearer but the Kipon with a lens like the Canon 55-250 STM would run to about the same price as the 75-300 Oly.

There would be cheaper options than that STM lens too (older non STM for instance).

Those are APSC lenses so would work in APSC mode with the A7 and MIGHT cover FF for part of the range (my 18-55 IS ii APSC kit lens covers FF from about 24mm and up on my A7s).

I used to have an old 100-300 5.6 L and even that was ok for AF (after firmware updates) with the Kipon and my GX7. Worked for MF and very slow AF on my A7/A7s too. While an older FF lens, it was still quite nice with some fluorite glass used.

A low priority currently but one of these days I will be getting another EF mount AF lens to use on both M4/3 and Sony FF E mount.

Not saying this would be better, just pointing out it is an option (and more so for dual system users).

Feb 15, 2017 at 08:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gary0319
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best consumer level super telephoto?

I had the Panasonic 100-300 and it did really well up to about 286mm, if I stopped it down to 7.1. The issue with the 100-300 is that it has very slow focusing motors and that might come into play if you were using it for some sports. I did have pretty good luck with it at the rodeo so as long as your kids aren't faster than a bucking bronc, you should be OK.

As kwalsh noted atmospheric conditions play a large part in the image quality with a long lens, particularly in hot and humid conditions.

Also Panasonic has a new version of the 100-300 out now so my references to the focus motor limitations of the older version may be moot.

Feb 15, 2017 at 09:12 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best consumer level super telephoto?

The pro level Nikon 600mm f/4 FL lens with image stabilization sells for $12,300. My Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 lens sells for $2,800. The Olympus 300mm f/4 that provides the same angle of view on a MFT camera sells for $2500.

Compared to what I can buy for a full frame or APS-C crop camera, the 300mm f/4 is a bargain lens. It also provides superior performance on one of the Olympus 5-axis cameras where I can get razor sharp pictures shooting hand held at 1/8s.

The 300mm also works with no issues with the 1.4x teleconverter attached which extends it capabilities even further.

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:33 PM
Bob Kane
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best consumer level super telephoto?

formula4speed wrote:
Has anyone compared the various super telephoto lenses against each other? Any of them notably better than the others? Panasonic has the 45-200mm (I have this) and 100-300mm, Olympus has a 75-300mm. Anything to gain from an IQ standpoint between the current options for those who can't afford the newer 100-400 or 300 f/4?

I don't shoot long very often, so hard to justify the cost of the high end stuff. At the same time my 45-200 leaves something to be desired at the long end. In my case I have the E-M1.2, so OIS isn't critical.

How about the Zuiko 50-200 SWD with m43 adapter? Autofocus is slower than with a native m43 lens but image quality is very good and the zoom range is useful. Works well with the 43 1.4X. I've used it on an E-M1 and was pleased with the clean, sharp files; took it to Patagonia for the penguins. It is no lightweight, though, but the price will be reasonable.

Feb 16, 2017 at 02:01 AM
DamC.Licks

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best consumer level super telephoto?

I have both the FT 50-200 (and EC-14) and the mFT 75-300 II. The 50-200, even with the EC-14 is optically better than the little guy, but for its size, weight, and COST, the 75-300 II is a gem! Focus is also much faster with the little guy.

Feb 16, 2017 at 07:22 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best consumer level super telephoto?

I had the Lumix 100-300 for awhile and I thought it was a pretty decent lens:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1127925/0#10777852

Feb 16, 2017 at 07:43 PM
savingspaces
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best consumer level super telephoto?

bobbytan wrote:
I had the Lumix 100-300 for awhile and I thought it was a pretty decent lens:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1127925/0#10777852

In your hands any lens shines. It is not fare.

Feb 18, 2017 at 09:04 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password