FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · Canon 1DX mark 2

arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon 1DX mark 2

akriegsfeld wrote:
Hi guys thanks for all your responses, the reason I was asking about the 1DX 2 is I found a deal on a used one in great condition with the fast CF card and reader.
over a thousand less than new. Looks like a good deal. However it is still more than $1000.00 more than a brand new 5D iv.

Decisions, Decisions. I do have the funds, however, need to be practical.
I don't need more than 7 fps most of the time. I just looked at my files from my last couple of trips and most of my action shots
...Show more

The 1DX2 does do better with f/8 than the 5D4 if you are shooting fast action BIF type stuff. For more details see Arash's 5D4 review: http://arihazeghiphotography.com/blog/eos-5d-mark-iv-field-review/

I wasn't sure I agreed with him at first but as I've been testing back and forth between the 5D4 and 1DX2, I do see the advantage in BIF shooting with the 1DX2 and f/8 combos.

When I had my 5D3 at 6FPS I thought that was enough as I was getting shots....once having the 1D4 at 10FPS I realized that more FPS just gets me more better wing positions and lack of nictitating membranes and head angles to choose from for my final pick in a series of shots. The more FPS the better for me now even though I don't need the FPS to get good shots.

Still 5D4 is an awesome camera...basically is a 1.22TC over the 1DX2.

Feb 15, 2017 at 09:06 AM
mogud
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon 1DX mark 2

rabbitmountain wrote:
I'm intrigued. When I had them to evaluate I didn't notice any difference regarding the shape and feel of the grip. Care to elaborate a bit?

I have large hands and from what I can remember, the 1dx ii's right grip was re-designed to be a lttle deeper. I sold my 1dx about three months before the 1dx ii arrived so I couldn't do a comparison. YMMV, but I noticed the grip seemed more comfortable as soon as I picked up the 1dx ii.

Feb 15, 2017 at 09:13 AM
daleg
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon 1DX mark 2

3catsinky wrote:
life is short. if you have the funds, buy it, and enjoy it as much as you can. the 1 Series is a dream/beast to shoot with.

^ Life is too short for cheap gear.

I did a complex purchase of a large 1DX kit - from a retiring photographer - and a subsequent trade of the 1DX (within a week of its arrival) and an additional lens for a brand-new 1DX2 with zero clicks, etc.

As an avid amateur, I did this transaction for only 1 reason - because I could.

Here's the complete, unedited list of my regrets: absolutely none. Months later, they're still trying to wipe the stupid smile from my face.

If you can, go for it. It's not a perfect camera, but it's a great one.

Enjoy,
Dale

Feb 15, 2017 at 01:41 PM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon 1DX mark 2

mogud wrote:
I have large hands and from what I can remember, the 1dx ii's right grip was re-designed to be a lttle deeper. I sold my 1dx about three months before the 1dx ii arrived so I couldn't do a comparison. YMMV, but I noticed the grip seemed more comfortable as soon as I picked up the 1dx ii.

I see. Thanks for clearing that up. I have pretty small hands. Maybe that's why I feel no difference between the two.

Ralph

Feb 15, 2017 at 02:54 PM
Volks1470
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon 1DX mark 2

I just do photography as a hobby with a 1DX II. Like it's been said before, if you can spring for it, why not? While I do feel I could get by just fine with a 5D IV, having those extra tidbits is really nice.

The 5D IV will slow down using dual card writing during continuous shooting because of the the crippled SD card. The 1DX II is damn near unstoppable...Plus, the CFast card is amazing for copying files to the computer. WAY faster!

The 1 series offers greater custom functions over all the lower tiers of cameras, which is a nice perk.

Feb 15, 2017 at 07:59 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon 1DX mark 2

"Just a Hobby?" I am not a Pro because I accept NO money for my work so it is Just a Hobby. That's because I don't want anyone to influence my work. However, I have more/better equipment than many Pros. The question might be then "How badly do you want the best tools for the best results."

True, under controlled circumstances (inanimates/bright light) you can get great results with a wide variety of equipment. But for action, small critters and low light the best equipment is often not good enough. My suggestion is to rent the best gear to see how it may help your work then decide if you want to bite the bullet.

This ecause, in the toughest conditions, you can shoot for years and seldom get the Hero shots you are after (it happens to me). Part of Joy and creative growth is editing and post processing your work. You want a lot of keepers for that.

Feb 16, 2017 at 06:43 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon 1DX mark 2

Volks1470 wrote:
The 5D IV will slow down using dual card writing during continuous shooting because of the the crippled SD card. The 1DX II is damn near unstoppable...Plus, the CFast card is amazing for copying files to the computer. WAY faster!

This happens to the 1DX2 as well. The mirroring speed drops down to the CF card speed. Canon was foolish to have this thing be CF/CFast2. Should have been dual CFast2 like the D5 has dual XQD.

I really wish Canon would learn from Nikon's mistakes. It's free user research. Take it!

Feb 16, 2017 at 07:19 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon 1DX mark 2

ggreene wrote:
This happens to the 1DX2 as well. The mirroring speed drops down to the CF card speed. Canon was foolish to have this thing be CF/CFast2. Should have been dual CFast2 like the D5 has dual XQD.

I really wish Canon would learn from Nikon's mistakes. It's free user research. Take it!

Yes, biggest mistake Canon has made recently was not having dual C-Fast in the 1DX2. They did it right in the 1DX.

I really have big issues with any mixed dual slot format....because there is always a compromise when I shoot mirrored.
The 5D4 is even worse off as they should have had the SD be UHS-II but then the CF would have been the bottleneck but still would have been faster than having the UHS-I be the bottleneck.

1DX had it right but needed faster slots
X-T2 has it really right with dual UHS-II
D5 is awesome giving the photographer the choice of dual CF (to save money on new cards) or dual XQD which is the best solution available.

In other threads we've discussed the fact that IMO we should be abandoning every card format other than UHS-II SD and XQD. C-Fast is maxed out already. XQD can be expanded with added lanes and thankfully the CFA has released a statement that they are now backing XQD and the future irritation of that format called CFExpress which should be backwards compatible with XQD but add more and more lanes of bandwidth to enable faster and faster cards in the future. C-Fast can't do that so it needs to be phased out.

My worry is the 1DX3 will be dual C-Fast...I'd much rather Canon go dual XQD (or CFExpress if it is available by then). Lower tier cameras like 7D3 should have dual UHS-II SD or even better have dual XQD also.

But I really think CF, C-Fast and SD slower than UHS-II should be eliminated in the next round of updates....please Canon....pretty please

Edited on Feb 16, 2017 at 09:59 AM · View previous versions

Feb 16, 2017 at 09:03 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon 1DX mark 2

I'm not tied to any storage type media really just give me a single format for both slots please. Jesus, I thought we were beyond this with the 1DX but no, Canon had to drag us backwards with the 1DX2.

Feb 16, 2017 at 09:35 AM
tonywong88
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon 1DX mark 2

Hobbyist here too. If I charged money for photography it'd feel too much like work.

I also think it should have been dual CFast, but preferably dual XQD would have been better, but since their EOS Cinema cameras have been CFast before the 1Dx, you know they wouldn't go XQD, especially since Nikon and Sony chose XQD.

Hate the fact that CFast and CF are the same size, too easy to get them mixed up. I hope the 1Dx3 just has a mini PCI-E x16 slot so you can choose which cards format you want in a modular bay. :P

Feb 16, 2017 at 07:42 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.