Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Online backup sites?

If you have a network don't use carbonite

Apr 07, 2017 at 11:42 PM
adamx12m
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Online backup sites?

Once you get past 1tb the online stuff is just too slow to backup, plus the restore takes just as long. Bailed on CP, currently using a pair a synology boxes, one for primary image storage with redundancy, then backup to another synology box remotely. If I had under 1tb, I'd probably just use google drive for $99/year.

Apr 08, 2017 at 09:03 PM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Online backup sites?

I use Crashplan. I have not shopped for a long time but most vendors have the option to ship you a restore drive in the event of a system failure, rather than having to download it all. For the initial upload, many have the option of a seed drive, as mentioned. Some of the online upload speeds mentioned above are pretty good but it is obviously dependent on your internet provider as well.

You mentioned you want a drag and drop. Are you sure about that? Most want the backup to be automatic, because keeping track of what was backed up for a large data set is difficult. It also avoids the common problem of forgetting to do it.

Apr 19, 2017 at 02:15 AM
beavens
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Online backup sites?

I was researching this myself (and hit this thread too!) and after looking at CrashPlan, BackBlaze and Amazon+Arq I've decided to go the A+A route. I just started the Amazon trial and need to download the Arq trial when I get home.

I'll probably only seed a very small portion to see how things go, but after reading up on everything I think this will suite me best. It's pricier since you need to include the one-time $50/machine license cost for Arq, but overall it's not a huge increase.

CrashPlan changing their retention policy and BackBlaze not supporting NAS/clunky client are what kept me from the competitors.

I'll do my best to update this thread after I get everything up and running.

Jeff

Apr 21, 2017 at 05:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

beavens
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Online backup sites?

So far I haven't had too many issues using Amazon and Arq. While there is room for improvement I think it's gonna be the best option out there for me. I am most likely going to plunk down the extra $20 and hitch my cart to Arq's future and buy the lifetime license. I guess $70 isn't the biggest gamble in the world, so I will see how it goes. I'm hopeful that Haystack (Arq devs) continue to add features and increase the robustness of the software. I will tell you that most of your dollars are going into the backend as the GUI is limited to say the least.

Took a little tweaking to get it to talk nicely with my NAS (wanted a specific UNC filepath without using IP), but after that I should be able to get things more or less where I should be looking okay.

My biggest gripes are that the scheduler is not very robust in the least (so currently it's kinda a pain in the ass if you want to have hourly/daily/weekly/etc backups of the same stuff) and currently there is no way to manage retention sets. Anyway, I hope that they include these in future releases.

I only sent about 30GB of files out there, but scanning and uploading was relatively quick! I should be able to give you a better idea when I throw the couple TB up there, but so far so good. I tested restoring as well and it was quite painless (at least in the small sample that I tried). Another quick test was to add a directory, let it back up, add/remove files and then let it back up again to see how the different snapshots looked in comparison.

Again, these haven't been the most extreme tests by any means, but I believe it's been a good smoke test to verify that this combo is a very usable layer in a backup scenario.

Hope this helps and feel free to hit me up with questions!!

Jeff

May 05, 2017 at 09:59 PM
phaedon
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Online backup sites?

"- no support for NAS (I believe CrashPlan do support NAS)"

This is actually incorrect. You can connect Backblaze to a Synology NAS using Cloud Sync, and it's extremely smooth. It also runs on the NAS box. That's the major reason I switched over.

Crashplan was a never-ending nightmare, and they explicitly do not support NAS. Which means every time Synology issues a DSM update, you're screwed. It also runs on your computer, which means if your main CPU is a laptop, every time you move, your upload stops.

May 05, 2017 at 10:36 PM
glort
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Online backup sites?

Why do you need a dedicated site?

I have about a TB just backed up to my website server. I got an Unlimited plan and just have a folder that's not linked to on the net and put the important stuff there.
I can upload it in the folders I want through FTP. Runs at whatever my ISP will give me in bandwidth at the time.

I just spent $300 odd on HDDS to back up everything I have. I'll keep using the old drives for " Live" storage but the new ones are going in the safe. I have all my family pics backed up on another drive at my fathers place for offsite.

As well as the painfully slow upload times, downloading a wedding's worth of pics would also be slow and painful. Much rather spend the money on Physical HDDS. Probably works out cheaper over a few years of paying for storage on a dedicated site but seeing I already have unlimited space on my web host, I just make use of that.

Don't need to be confined by anyones restrictions then, can do whatever I want which is pretty simple and straightforward.

May 05, 2017 at 11:12 PM
agrumpyoldsod

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Online backup sites?

I use Backblaze, for my Mac, but not my images.

The size you are seeking is horrendously expensive and takes a huge time to upload/down load.

The simplest and cheapest answer is to write to multiple backups - including one you keep in a fireproof safe off site. Its what most pros do who have very large collections. I am like you have 10-20TB of files; I keep 2 live back ups and One cold back up that I update monthly in a safe place.

May 08, 2017 at 11:04 AM
beavens
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Online backup sites?

So I just seeded almost 2TB in just about 3 days time via Arq 5 and Amazon Cloud over a 50Mb connection.

Unsure how long a full library download would be, but aside from wishing for a bit more robustness in terms of features from Arq I am very happy with everything.

Jeff

May 25, 2017 at 01:47 AM
J.Andrew

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Online backup sites?

@beavens. Thanks for the update. I am currently looking for backup now. I'm a little confused in regards to the Amazon option. I see that a prime member gets free photo storage etc...do you need to be a prime member to use the unlimited option and just pay the extra fee? I use external drives now and like the one price unlimited storage. I tried crash plan and it was painfully slow and gave up. I just need photos and documents and that's it. I don't need a mirror copy of my computer per say. I think the Amazon option will be fine for that. Thanks for any insight on how the Amazon option works.

-Jay

beavens wrote:
So I just seeded almost 2TB in just about 3 days time via Arq 5 and Amazon Cloud over a 50Mb connection.

Unsure how long a full library download would be, but aside from wishing for a bit more robustness in terms of features from Arq I am very happy with everything.

Jeff

May 25, 2017 at 09:44 PM
       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password