Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Online backup sites?

If you have a network don't use carbonite

Apr 07, 2017 at 11:42 PM
adamx12m
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Online backup sites?

Once you get past 1tb the online stuff is just too slow to backup, plus the restore takes just as long. Bailed on CP, currently using a pair a synology boxes, one for primary image storage with redundancy, then backup to another synology box remotely. If I had under 1tb, I'd probably just use google drive for $99/year.

Apr 08, 2017 at 09:03 PM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Online backup sites?

I use Crashplan. I have not shopped for a long time but most vendors have the option to ship you a restore drive in the event of a system failure, rather than having to download it all. For the initial upload, many have the option of a seed drive, as mentioned. Some of the online upload speeds mentioned above are pretty good but it is obviously dependent on your internet provider as well.

You mentioned you want a drag and drop. Are you sure about that? Most want the backup to be automatic, because keeping track of what was backed up for a large data set is difficult. It also avoids the common problem of forgetting to do it.

Apr 19, 2017 at 02:15 AM
beavens
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Online backup sites?

I was researching this myself (and hit this thread too!) and after looking at CrashPlan, BackBlaze and Amazon+Arq I've decided to go the A+A route. I just started the Amazon trial and need to download the Arq trial when I get home.

I'll probably only seed a very small portion to see how things go, but after reading up on everything I think this will suite me best. It's pricier since you need to include the one-time $50/machine license cost for Arq, but overall it's not a huge increase.

CrashPlan changing their retention policy and BackBlaze not supporting NAS/clunky client are what kept me from the competitors.

I'll do my best to update this thread after I get everything up and running.

Jeff

Apr 21, 2017 at 05:33 PM
beavens
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Online backup sites?

So far I haven't had too many issues using Amazon and Arq. While there is room for improvement I think it's gonna be the best option out there for me. I am most likely going to plunk down the extra $20 and hitch my cart to Arq's future and buy the lifetime license. I guess $70 isn't the biggest gamble in the world, so I will see how it goes. I'm hopeful that Haystack (Arq devs) continue to add features and increase the robustness of the software. I will tell you that most of your dollars are going into the backend as the GUI is limited to say the least.

Took a little tweaking to get it to talk nicely with my NAS (wanted a specific UNC filepath without using IP), but after that I should be able to get things more or less where I should be looking okay.

My biggest gripes are that the scheduler is not very robust in the least (so currently it's kinda a pain in the ass if you want to have hourly/daily/weekly/etc backups of the same stuff) and currently there is no way to manage retention sets. Anyway, I hope that they include these in future releases.

I only sent about 30GB of files out there, but scanning and uploading was relatively quick! I should be able to give you a better idea when I throw the couple TB up there, but so far so good. I tested restoring as well and it was quite painless (at least in the small sample that I tried). Another quick test was to add a directory, let it back up, add/remove files and then let it back up again to see how the different snapshots looked in comparison.

Again, these haven't been the most extreme tests by any means, but I believe it's been a good smoke test to verify that this combo is a very usable layer in a backup scenario.

Hope this helps and feel free to hit me up with questions!!

Jeff

May 05, 2017 at 09:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

phaedon
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Online backup sites?

"- no support for NAS (I believe CrashPlan do support NAS)"

This is actually incorrect. You can connect Backblaze to a Synology NAS using Cloud Sync, and it's extremely smooth. It also runs on the NAS box. That's the major reason I switched over.

Crashplan was a never-ending nightmare, and they explicitly do not support NAS. Which means every time Synology issues a DSM update, you're screwed. It also runs on your computer, which means if your main CPU is a laptop, every time you move, your upload stops.

May 05, 2017 at 10:36 PM
glort
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Online backup sites?

Why do you need a dedicated site?

I have about a TB just backed up to my website server. I got an Unlimited plan and just have a folder that's not linked to on the net and put the important stuff there.
I can upload it in the folders I want through FTP. Runs at whatever my ISP will give me in bandwidth at the time.

I just spent $300 odd on HDDS to back up everything I have. I'll keep using the old drives for " Live" storage but the new ones are going in the safe. I have all my family pics backed up on another drive at my fathers place for offsite.

As well as the painfully slow upload times, downloading a wedding's worth of pics would also be slow and painful. Much rather spend the money on Physical HDDS. Probably works out cheaper over a few years of paying for storage on a dedicated site but seeing I already have unlimited space on my web host, I just make use of that.

Don't need to be confined by anyones restrictions then, can do whatever I want which is pretty simple and straightforward.

May 05, 2017 at 11:12 PM
agrumpyoldsod

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Online backup sites?

I use Backblaze, for my Mac, but not my images.

The size you are seeking is horrendously expensive and takes a huge time to upload/down load.

The simplest and cheapest answer is to write to multiple backups - including one you keep in a fireproof safe off site. Its what most pros do who have very large collections. I am like you have 10-20TB of files; I keep 2 live back ups and One cold back up that I update monthly in a safe place.

May 08, 2017 at 11:04 AM
beavens
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Online backup sites?

So I just seeded almost 2TB in just about 3 days time via Arq 5 and Amazon Cloud over a 50Mb connection.

Unsure how long a full library download would be, but aside from wishing for a bit more robustness in terms of features from Arq I am very happy with everything.

Jeff

May 25, 2017 at 01:47 AM
J.Andrew

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Online backup sites?

@beavens. Thanks for the update. I am currently looking for backup now. I'm a little confused in regards to the Amazon option. I see that a prime member gets free photo storage etc...do you need to be a prime member to use the unlimited option and just pay the extra fee? I use external drives now and like the one price unlimited storage. I tried crash plan and it was painfully slow and gave up. I just need photos and documents and that's it. I don't need a mirror copy of my computer per say. I think the Amazon option will be fine for that. Thanks for any insight on how the Amazon option works.

-Jay

beavens wrote:
So I just seeded almost 2TB in just about 3 days time via Arq 5 and Amazon Cloud over a 50Mb connection.

Unsure how long a full library download would be, but aside from wishing for a bit more robustness in terms of features from Arq I am very happy with everything.

Jeff

May 25, 2017 at 09:44 PM
beavens
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Online backup sites?

J.Andrew wrote:
@beavens. Thanks for the update. I am currently looking for backup now. I'm a little confused in regards to the Amazon option. I see that a prime member gets free photo storage etc...do you need to be a prime member to use the unlimited option and just pay the extra fee? I use external drives now and like the one price unlimited storage. I tried crash plan and it was painfully slow and gave up. I just need photos and documents and that's it. I don't need a mirror copy of my computer per say. I think the Amazon option
...Show more

I think the extra period at the end didn't allow the notification to work, so I'm just seeing this now.

So Amazon *JUST* changed their policy (that didn't take long), stating that they will no longer be offering unlimited storage.

Your Amazon storage plan is changing
Amazon no longer offers an unlimited storage plan. You can stay on your existing plan until the end of your subscription, or visit Manage Storage to see the new plan options. New annual storage plans start at 100 GB for $11.99, 1 TB for $59.99, and up to 30 TB for an additional $59.99 per TB. Prime membersí unlimited photo storage benefit is not changing.

https://www.amazon.com/b?node=16591160011&ref=cds_tpc_w_lm

I'm unsure how they differentiate between a "photo" and "non-photo", so I'll have to look into that. This would pretty much double to triple my annual cost with Amazon. Very annoying considering how I'm completed seeded/committed to using them.

You will want to look at the verbiage in order to see if you can just upload your files using your Prime membership or if they would require you to pay for their tiered plans.

Thanks, Amazon!

Jeff

Jun 16, 2017 at 12:59 PM
barry685

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Online backup sites?

I'm currently also with Amazon Drive but will leave when my subscription is up because of their change in pricing.
I am currently testing this service in trial mode (the personal unlimited plan):

https://www.opendrive.com

And I like it. The advantage is that there is no limit to the computers that can be backed up or synced.

Jul 17, 2017 at 01:52 PM
       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password