1       2       3              5      
       end

Archive 2017 · Japan: Kyoto, Kamakura and Tokyo

nampramos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Japan: Kyoto, Kamakura and Tokyo

It will never be enough time!
That's why people go back to the same place multiple times.
Our itinerary is booked and now we will make the most out of it. I'd rather see/do less but enjoy it fully than be running around just so I could later on say "I've been there!".

Thanks for all the tips everyone! Need to start packing now!

Mar 08, 2017 at 12:54 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Japan: Kyoto, Kamakura and Tokyo

On my trip a couple months back I wish we would have done similar, with less moving around and focusing more on specific areas.

But as you said, there is always next time!

We will be taking our son next summer, when he's 6, between kindergarten and 1st grade.

Mar 08, 2017 at 02:32 PM
frezeiss
• • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Japan: Kyoto, Kamakura and Tokyo

Pardon me bringing up a dormant thread, nampramos. Wondered how did your trip go, and what are the highlights of your trip. Im making an itinerary for our Japan trip this March; currently planning to go to Kyoto, Osaka and Tokyo but tempted to go all the way to Hokkaido area. thanks

Jan 01, 2018 at 08:26 AM
Chris_88
• • • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Japan: Kyoto, Kamakura and Tokyo

frezeiss wrote:
Pardon me bringing up a dormant thread, nampramos. Wondered how did your trip go, and what are the highlights of your trip. Im making an itinerary for our Japan trip this March; currently planning to go to Kyoto, Osaka and Tokyo but tempted to go all the way to Hokkaido area. thanks

If you plan on visiting Hokkaido in March, make sure you bring boots/snow shoes, warm clothing and spare batteries, especially if you are using a version 1 or 2 a7 series cam. Also make sure you have some leeway, because blizzards or sudden strong snowfall can wipe out an entire day's worth of flights in parts of Hokkaido or even the entire island until late March.

Jan 01, 2018 at 08:34 AM
ChrisLovesUgly
• •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Japan: Kyoto, Kamakura and Tokyo

frezeiss wrote:

It really depends on how long you're going for, and your pace, in my opinion. There is so much to see just in the areas you mentioned! For what it's worth, I'd go further South towards Himeji, Hiroshima, Itsukushima, before (or instead of) going North. You're also more likely to catch Cherry Blossoms earlier in the South.

Jan 01, 2018 at 03:14 PM
nampramos
• • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Japan: Kyoto, Kamakura and Tokyo

frezeiss wrote:

It was AMAZING! A MA ZING!

I had to high expectation for this trip and I came back more than satisfied.

Loved the food. The places we visited. The people. The vibe. Everything. We did not have a single bad/dull moment during our entire trip.

If you are going 2-3 weeks, I wouldn't do more than that. There is so MUCH to be seen and done.

We are almost certainly going back there again this year.

Jan 02, 2018 at 03:21 AM
Zplusc3
• •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Japan: Kyoto, Kamakura and Tokyo

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/utopfiles/99/5299.jpg

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/utopfiles/00/5300.jpg

I went last march, had a really great time.

Shirakawago was the highlight of our trip.
Try to visit popular sites early in the morning, it gets packed with tourists during the day.

Jan 02, 2018 at 10:32 AM
frezeiss
• • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · Japan: Kyoto, Kamakura and Tokyo

Chris_88 wrote:
If you plan on visiting Hokkaido in March, make sure you bring boots/snow shoes, warm clothing and spare batteries, especially if you are using a version 1 or 2 a7 series cam. Also make sure you have some leeway, because blizzards or sudden strong snowfall can wipe out an entire day's worth of flights in parts of Hokkaido or even the entire island until late March.

Thanks for the info, Chris! if blizzards could frequently occur then Hokkaido is a no go, we only going to spend 10 days in Japan.

Jan 09, 2018 at 12:29 PM
frezeiss
• • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · Japan: Kyoto, Kamakura and Tokyo

ChrisLovesUgly wrote:
It really depends on how long you're going for, and your pace, in my opinion. There is so much to see just in the areas you mentioned! For what it's worth, I'd go further South towards Himeji, Hiroshima, Itsukushima, before (or instead of) going North. You're also more likely to catch Cherry Blossoms earlier in the South.

After knowing blizzards in the north, the south makes more sense. A little debate going on whether to go in march or wait till Autumn. For Japan I figure it will be too much for one visit, theres going to be a 2nd and 3rd visit.

Jan 09, 2018 at 12:31 PM
frezeiss
• • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · Japan: Kyoto, Kamakura and Tokyo

Lovely pictures! Shirakawago sounds like a great idea but does the native people still live there or is it a preserved old village for tourism? Would really like it if native still live there and we could see the old Japanese ways!

Jan 09, 2018 at 12:34 PM
frezeiss
• • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · Japan: Kyoto, Kamakura and Tokyo

nampramos wrote:

Loved the food. The places we visited. The people. The vibe. Everything. We did not have a single bad/dull moment during our entire trip.

If you are going 2-3 weeks, I wouldn't do more than that. There is so MUCH to be seen and done.

Thats great to hear! hope we will enjoyed it as much as you do. Maybe Tokyo, Kyoto and Nara is enough for my trip this time. I don't want to spend majority of my time getting to cities or destinations either.

Jan 09, 2018 at 12:36 PM
Chris_88
• • • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · Japan: Kyoto, Kamakura and Tokyo

frezeiss wrote:
Thanks for the info, Chris! if blizzards could frequently occur then Hokkaido is a no go, we only going to spend 10 days in Japan.

You're welcome. I've experienced quite a few blizzard or heavy snow-caused delays in Northern Japan, and therefore thought I should mention it seeing how you're only in the country for 10 days. Under these circumstances, it would suck losing one day just sitting around in a hotel and/or the airport.

Jan 09, 2018 at 04:35 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · Japan: Kyoto, Kamakura and Tokyo

nampramos wrote:

Glad you had a good trip!

I've got my plans fairly ironed-out.

June 5-26:
First 4 days in country will be Kyoto, got a place booked near Gojo station. Looks like a great location.
Three days in Tokyo after that.
Then 5-6 days up in Tohoku, before blasting back down to Tokyo.
Fly to Okinawa for a week, then return to Tokyo for return flight.

Did the math, and it'll make sense for us to get the 14-day JR Pass (two adult, one child) even at ~$1000(!!!!!). This will let us blast around mainland Japan as we please, even up to Hokkaido if we want.

Okinawa we'll get a rental for ~$200. Every stop on the trip we'll have friends with kids our son's age.

Jan 12, 2018 at 10:54 AM
nampramos
• • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · Japan: Kyoto, Kamakura and Tokyo

Did you check flights for those trips too?

We got pretty cheap flights with Jetstar and in the end ended up doing only one bullet train trip.

Jan 12, 2018 at 11:17 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · Japan: Kyoto, Kamakura and Tokyo

nampramos wrote:
Did you check flights for those trips too?

We got pretty cheap flights with Jetstar and in the end ended up doing only one bullet train trip.

Oh yeah, I've done a bazillion searches on flights and various itineraries.

It'll be me, wife, and our son who will be 6 then. He loves trains.
We have limited time (3 weeks), and very specific main destinations we will be hitting. To fly between Tokyo and Osaka and back, then up to Tohoku and back, when factoring either getting tix w/ ANA or JAL (includes checked bags) or one of the smaller LCC's and paying extra for luggage.... also trains to/from the airports, hassle of dealing with airports, etc, it will be far simpler to just do the trains. This will also allow us more leeway if we want to make a side trip, or change our schedule a tad. Will probably wind up costing slightly less in the end, too.

The Tokyo-Hachinohe trip alone would be $1000 round trip via normal (train) tickets, I think. That is a long one, all the way at the top of mainland.
Flights alone are pretty cheap, but travelling with a 6yo greatly complicates things. This will be his first serious trip.

Jan 13, 2018 at 07:57 PM
nampramos
• • •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · Japan: Kyoto, Kamakura and Tokyo

Trains are indeed more fun and simplify things if you are traveling with a kid (and even without).

Looking forward to seeing some photos and hearing about your trip. I'm very much hopping to head back to Japan again this year.

Been even playing with the idea of doing a Working Holiday there for a full year. Going to get more info on that soon. Anyone here did one or knows of someone that did?

Jan 14, 2018 at 12:18 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · Japan: Kyoto, Kamakura and Tokyo

Actually I found that JAL has Japan Explorer tickets (or something like that)... Tokyo to like anywhere in Tohoku is only Y5400 each way. That's a 1hr 15min flight, instead of 3-5hr of train rides and transfers and stuff....
Then grab a discounted shinkansen ticket from tokyo to kyoto for our jaunt over there, we'll come out $2-300 less than buying 2wk JR pass. Thanks for bringing it up, got me thinking about it more and I did some more digging.

Jan 22, 2018 at 02:54 PM
nampramos
• • •
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · Japan: Kyoto, Kamakura and Tokyo

No worries! Glad that you find it.

I did a lot of digging last year and pretty much everyone was saying that the 2 week pass would be cheaper by a big margin but it was actually more expensive.

The pass surely makes things much easier, especially mentally. But if you don't mind spending some hours searching for tickets you'll most likely find cheaper alternatives.

Jan 22, 2018 at 04:24 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · Japan: Kyoto, Kamakura and Tokyo

Yeah the 2 week pass sure would make things *easy*, but for our jaunt up to Misawa/Aomori, it's not the most convenient or fastest option.

Jan 23, 2018 at 02:58 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.