New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · 80D vs M5

seattlebruin
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 80D vs M5

Anyone shot both of these, or general thoughts on the M5 with EF-M-EOS adapter for continuous AF?

So I've been looking to get an APS-C body to complement my 5DIII which would mainly be used for wildlife and aviation. It'll also be used for when I'm on travel, but that's a smaller concern for me. I should probably start by prefacing that a) I'm looking at Canon bodies only since all my glass is Canon and b) I do want the extra resolution that an APS-C sized sensor and the extra MP brings to the table.

I'm a bit torn between the M5 and 80D, but it basically comes down to continuous autofocus and RAW buffer depth, since the two cameras are otherwise pretty similar. I already have the adapter, so both look like they'll cost in the same ballpark too

M5 Pros/cons
+ Smaller, lighter
+ Compatible with Samyang 12 f/2
- Unknown CAF (mainly with adapter and Sigma 150-600C and/or Canon 70-300L and 55-250 STM)
- Shallow buffer

80D Pros/cons
+ DSLR pentaprism
+ Familiar physical controls to 5D III
+ Buffer depth
- Physical size, compatibility with EF-M specialty lenses

Feb 14, 2017 at 12:03 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 80D vs M5

For use with those lenses I'd recommend the 80D. The M5 is not fast enough to react and drive the focus of the longer lenses to catch BIF and fast action. The 80D is much better in that regards. Also the M5 feels awkward mounted to larger lenses.

I've owned both and currently have the M5. I've tried it on 100-400II but won't be using it with that. Of course I didn't buy it to use with those long lenses anyways.

My vote is 80D.

Feb 14, 2017 at 12:30 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 80D vs M5

I would say the M5 excels at travel photography, but 80d would be better with long lenses/aviation photography. Get both and have the correct tool for the job. I wouldn't say the two cameras are very similar other than they have the same megapixel sensor.

Feb 14, 2017 at 01:48 PM
howard
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 80D vs M5

seattlebruin wrote:
<snip>

M5 Pros/cons

+ Compatible with Samyang 12 f/2

Interesting that you should call out this item. Is this lens that well-regarded? Surely there are alternatively (albeit larger and heavier) for the DSLR.

That being said, I agree with arbitrage that 80D fits your needs better.

Feb 14, 2017 at 05:04 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 80D vs M5

seattlebruin wrote:
Anyone shot both of these, or general thoughts on the M5 with EF-M-EOS adapter for continuous AF?

So I've been looking to get an APS-C body to complement my 5DIII which would mainly be used for wildlife and aviation. It'll also be used for when I'm on travel, but that's a smaller concern for me. I should probably start by prefacing that a) I'm looking at Canon bodies only since all my glass is Canon and b) I do want the extra resolution that an APS-C sized sensor and the extra MP brings to the table.

I'm a bit torn between the
...Show more

I agree, the mirrorless Canon M5 is probably the best complement to a 5D3 for travel and wildlife
the M5 is small and lightweight and works well with Canon DSLR lens

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Edited on Feb 15, 2017 at 06:01 AM · View previous versions

Feb 14, 2017 at 05:58 PM
seattlebruin
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 80D vs M5

It's one of the few light, wide lenses for astrophotography and I already own it for my M3. For APS-C DSLRS, there's nothing really out there that can match it -the closest would be the Rokinon 16 f/2, but that's a little narrower than I'd like.

I think the 80D is probably a better camera overall for what I need, but I was really kinda hoping the M5 would work since that would fit better as a travel kit. If I get the 80D, I would probably want to keep my M3 as the travel body

howard wrote:
Interesting that you should call out this item. Is this lens that well-regarded? Surely there are alternatively (albeit larger and heavier) for the DSLR.

That being said, I agree with arbitrage that 80D fits your needs better.

Feb 14, 2017 at 07:07 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.