New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Yosemite's Horsetail Falls

IShootThings
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Yosemite's Horsetail Falls

Hello,

I'm sure that the falls will be running well that last weekend of February this year due to the high volume of rain. Does anyone know if the light is still good on the 26/27th to light up the falls or is that too late?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you!

Feb 13, 2017 at 11:49 PM
Rick Ethuen

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Yosemite's Horsetail Falls

I was in Yosemite to photograph the Horsetail Falls on February 25th in 2013. That was a fairly dry year, but the light on the falls was still good at that time. If the other conditions are good, the last weekend in February should be a fine time to experience the event. Good luck.

Feb 14, 2017 at 12:30 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Yosemite's Horsetail Falls

funny, i was there 02/23/13. get a spot early. people already had chairs and such at like 1pm. i didn't feel like sticking around, as there were hundreds of people and i hadn't ever been to Yosemite before.

should be a good year for the waterfall though

Feb 14, 2017 at 01:12 PM
IShootThings
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Yosemite's Horsetail Falls

Thanks for the responses guys!

Feb 14, 2017 at 10:05 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Yosemite's Horsetail Falls

I will be there the 18th-25th. The peak is ispposed to be around the 21st if I remember correctly. Weather looks like rain or snow every day tho so not sure if I will get to see Horsetail this time or not!

Feb 15, 2017 at 12:22 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Yosemite's Horsetail Falls

Hello.. I was in Yosemite last couple of days.
Horsetail Firefalls has been very well alive!!
Go and enjoy the wonder!

Feb 15, 2017 at 12:08 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Yosemite's Horsetail Falls

Just saw a beautiful 5+ second video of the Horsetail Firefall on CBS news tonight.

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:43 AM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Yosemite's Horsetail Falls

With people lining up at 1pm is it still possible to get a decent view if arriving at 5PM or is there just no chance? I'd be going with family and they probably won't want to sit around jostling for position for hours when there is a beautiful park to explore.

Feb 17, 2017 at 01:54 PM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Yosemite's Horsetail Falls

stevez32 wrote:
With people lining up at 1pm is it still possible to get a decent view if arriving at 5PM or is there just no chance? I'd be going with family and they probably won't want to sit around jostling for position for hours when there is a beautiful park to explore.

I would suspect so on the north side (Rowell's view by the picnic grounds) based upon my experience last year as there were many vantage points and a fair bit of space. Near the river bank on the South side finding a good vantage point is dicier due to being less space for clear views.

I am headed to Yosemite tomorrow for a week. Feel free to PM me if soneone is looking for company shooting.

Feb 17, 2017 at 04:59 PM
kylebarendrick
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Yosemite's Horsetail Falls

I'd also note that with the popularity of this shot these days, the park gets REALLY crowded. Last year they closed off lanes on both northside and southside for parking. Getting around is really tough and time consuming.

I've also concluded that if you are going to shoot horsetail, you can't count on exploring anywhere else that afternoon. You just have to buckle in and enjoy the party.

The good news is that you are pointing a zoom up at a spot on the wall. Specific locations aren't as important as when you are trying to carefully compose a foreground/midground/background shot. As Luvwine noted, there is a lot of space for shots on northside in particular. You just want to get there early enough that you can avoid having the falls blocked by a tree.

The attached photo was taken at the northside spot last February. That is just one of the bunches waiting for the show.

Horsetail Northside Crowd 2016

Feb 17, 2017 at 05:59 PM
IShootThings
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Yosemite's Horsetail Falls

Wow, that picture is giving me flashbacks of Antelope Canyon... Thanks for the info.

Feb 17, 2017 at 07:53 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Yosemite's Horsetail Falls

kylebarendrick wrote:
I'd also note that with the popularity of this shot these days, the park gets REALLY crowded. Last year they closed off lanes on both northside and southside for parking. Getting around is really tough and time consuming.

I've also concluded that if you are going to shoot horsetail, you can't count on exploring anywhere else that afternoon. You just have to buckle in and enjoy the party.

The good news is that you are pointing a zoom up at a spot on the wall. Specific locations aren't as important as when you are trying to carefully compose a foreground/midground/background shot. As
...Show more

Ugh, disgusting. Would not be there if they paid me to be. There was an article in the "failing New York Times" (ahem) this morning with a bunch of shots people have sent in. Pretty, but not enough to drink downstream of the herd.

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:52 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Yosemite's Horsetail Falls

Ugh! Yea, Jackalope Canyon or Mesa Arch are hardly any worse.

Several times each year, the near-full moon sets in the right location to illuminate the falls. You'll need to do some research and get up early, but it is 'doable.'

Feb 17, 2017 at 11:54 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Yosemite's Horsetail Falls

Hmmm, yeah this looks like more hassle than its worth I think...

Feb 18, 2017 at 02:39 AM
tmiller9
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Yosemite's Horsetail Falls

kylebarendrick wrote:

The good news is that you are pointing a zoom up at a spot on the wall. Specific locations aren't as important as when you are trying to carefully compose a foreground/midground/background shot. As
...Show more

Thanks Kyle - I'm cured. Was thinking of doing this - but I think I'll go stand in a mudflat somewhere in Death Valley instead!

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:15 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.