New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Godox X1N trigger flash compatibility and operation

bfrantz96

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Godox X1N trigger flash compatibility and operation

I recently purchased the Godox X1 transmitter and receiver for Nikon. I currently have a Nikon SB 600 and a Metz 48 AF-1 speedlights. The Nikon works fine in ttl and manual on the X1 transmitter. I can set the flash power remotely. The Metz on, it seems to work in ttl. If I put in manual on the X1 it will still flash, but changing the flash power does nothing. The power stays at the same output. I have the latest firmwares in the flash triggers and on the Metz. Has anyone else had similar results?

I am also wanting to add some new speedlights to my collection, any recommendations there? I was looking at the Godox TT685N, unless there is something else that's a better deal? Just looking for opinions or experience.

Feb 13, 2017 at 08:38 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Godox X1N trigger flash compatibility and operation

Have you considered the Cheetah V860X-N lights? They're also available from Adorama under the label of Flashpoint Zoom LiOn R2. These are slightly more expensive than the TT685, but the lithium batteries are terrific!

Feb 13, 2017 at 09:52 PM
fplstudio
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Godox X1N trigger flash compatibility and operation

BigIronCruiser wrote:
Have you considered the Cheetah V860X-N lights? They're also available from Adorama under the label of Flashpoint Zoom LiOn R2. These are slightly more expensive than the TT685, but the lithium batteries are terrific!

+1

Feb 13, 2017 at 10:53 PM
bfrantz96

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Godox X1N trigger flash compatibility and operation

I think the Neewer TT860 is the same also. Are the LiOn batteries that much better?

Feb 13, 2017 at 11:24 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Godox X1N trigger flash compatibility and operation

bfrantz96 wrote:
I think the Neewer TT860 is the same also. Are the LiOn batteries that much better?

If you like fast recycle time and more than 600 full-power pops, then yes. On the downside, the focus-assist light is poorly designed. I don't know if the TT685 has the same issue.

Feb 14, 2017 at 08:41 AM
jskintauy

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Godox X1N trigger flash compatibility and operation

Hi brantz96,
I have a Metz AF-52 and it works fine. i know the Metz must always be in TTL mode to work properly. If it is in TTL mode, it will fire according to the settings on the X1 controller. Otherwise, it will not fire. Not sure this helps at all, other then to let you know that at least some Metz flashes work properly.

Feb 14, 2017 at 09:03 PM
bfrantz96

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Godox X1N trigger flash compatibility and operation

jskintauy wrote:
Hi brantz96,
I have a Metz AF-52 and it works fine. i know the Metz must always be in TTL mode to work properly. If it is in TTL mode, it will fire according to the settings on the X1 controller. Otherwise, it will not fire. Not sure this helps at all, other then to let you know that at least some Metz flashes work properly.

That's good to hear! I will try it out tomorrow. I think I was in TTL BL mode when I was trying it. Thank you

Feb 14, 2017 at 09:58 PM
bfrantz96

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Godox X1N trigger flash compatibility and operation

BigIronCruiser wrote:

I was looking on cheetahstand.com at their products. I clicked on the V860X tab, and it pulls up every accessory but the speed light? I will check the flashpoint too! Thank you for the suggestions. I would stay with Nikon lights, but they are way overpriced!

Feb 14, 2017 at 10:02 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Godox X1N trigger flash compatibility and operation

bfrantz96 wrote:
I was looking on cheetahstand.com at their products. I clicked on the V860X tab, and it pulls up every accessory but the speed light? I will check the flashpoint too! Thank you for the suggestions. I would stay with Nikon lights, but they are way overpriced!

Edward (owner at Cheetah) decided not to list V860X lights that he doesn't have in stock. ETA for his next shipment is sometime in March. The Adorama Flashpoint, however, is in stock. They're exactly the same except for the label.

Feb 15, 2017 at 08:07 AM
bfrantz96

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Godox X1N trigger flash compatibility and operation

jskintauy wrote:
Hi brantz96,

Works perfect when it's in TTL mode! Thank you for the tip

Feb 15, 2017 at 10:01 PM
Oscarsmadness
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Godox X1N trigger flash compatibility and operation

anybody try to use the X1R-N to trigger an Alienbees? My GAS wants to try Alienbees, but I have a lot of the Flashpoint R2 stuff.
sorry to hijack.

I'm also a fan of the V860N-II. I have one. The nice thing about it is it has a radio transceiver built in. It will render your X1 transmitter obsolete, but I doubt you'll miss it.

Feb 16, 2017 at 02:46 PM
Jay Ford
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Godox X1N trigger flash compatibility and operation

Glad you like your V860, but I also like the X1T and am not going to use a speedlight instead of a svelte trigger unless there's a good reason to need the on-camera light as well.

Feb 16, 2017 at 07:46 PM
jskintauy

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Godox X1N trigger flash compatibility and operation

Cool, glad it worked for you!

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:29 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.