New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Depressing day

CritterRacing
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Depressing day

Just wanted to tell my friends here to make sure your backing up your photos.

Last tuesday i bought a owc mercury elite pro2 6tb version from b&h. My current 3 drives are full, 3tb worth so i bought one big one.

When i tell you it was fast and i mean fast compaired to what i had. I know my computers but not RAID. The new drive came already to go raid 0 out of the box. It was blazing fast. I put everything on it. Lightroom cc was instant browsing of my files. D810 files came up as fast as i could press the arrow key.

It took a day to get everything sorted and i cleaned up lightroom in the process.

Last night i walk over to my new 5k imac, and lightroom wont come back from a sleep. New hard drive is making strange noises, none stop activity light was on and the drive disappeared off my desktop.

I rebooted for what seemed like hours but all was gone, apple utilities program saw the drive and said it was dead. I tried it on 2 other computers as well. Starts up like it wants to work but nothing after that.

B&h is taking it back and im getting a g technology 6tb instead.

So my question is i took an old drive and made it my time machine. Anyone familiar with time machine and know if it will restore all my photos to my new drive? Time machine shows over 3tb of info so thats gotta be all my photos dont ya think?

I did my tranfer back asswards also. Transfered everything to new drive the DELETED all my files before a back up. Lucky nothing happened until before my back up.

Thank in advance

Aldo

Feb 13, 2017 at 03:11 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Depressing day

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

Good luck Aldo. If your backup was setup properly you should be fine

Morris

Feb 13, 2017 at 04:23 PM
webmstrk9
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Depressing day

Maybe add another drive in the mix for peace of mind.

My disks consists of

2 1TB SSD's RAID1
1 500gb SSD - my scratch disk
1 1TB HDD - Archival/offsite

I copy to all of the drives at the same time,

Feb 13, 2017 at 04:28 PM
milkod2001
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Depressing day

I presume you already know that Raid 0 is the worst you can do when backing up files. You get more speeds but actually no back up. If one drive fails you are screwed. Raid 1 is better option where all files are mirrored on both drives so if one fails you can simply rebuild another drive.

If you are more serious about backing up files get 4 or 6 HDD option, more $$$ but your data will be safe.

You can also dump the most important files on cloud, it's cheap and you can have access to files all the time if you have internet connection.

You are getting: g technology 6tb which is only 1 drive. If it fails....

Feb 13, 2017 at 05:25 PM
rstoddard11
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Depressing day

I copy to 3 drives, keep one at work, 2 at home in separate locations and keep all original SD cards.

Lost a computer once and learned my lesson.

I hope you get your images back.

Feb 13, 2017 at 05:27 PM
CritterRacing
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Depressing day

milkod2001 wrote:
I presume you already know that Raid 0 is the worst you can do when backing up files. You get more speeds but actually no back up. If one drive fails you are screwed. Raid 1 is better option where all files are mirrored on both drives so if one fails you can simply rebuild another drive.

If you are more serious about backing up files get 4 or 6 HDD option, more $$$ but your data will be safe.

You can also dump the most important files on cloud, it's cheap and you can have access to files all the time
...Show more

i didnt know it was so unreliable now i do. looking into raid 5 also. best of both worlds??

Feb 13, 2017 at 05:33 PM
joshn
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Depressing day

Sorry about your drive - I know that is painful

Going forward I would recommend using a cloud backup service just in case of emergency like crashplan or backblaze. I keep two copies of everything in my apartment then use cloud backup in case there's a fire/flood/earthquake and my entire pc is destroyed or stolen.

Feb 13, 2017 at 05:35 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Depressing day

Raid 5 gets you speed and redundancy but it isn't a backup. I was running two Raid5 boxes that were clones of each other and then a 3rd copy offsite but I had a few drives go bad in my main Raid5(not at the same time) and the second time it couldn't rebuild the RAID. That was super annoying. I now have a RAID 1 backing up to a RAID5 and my offsite 4Tb external. Therefore I'm not a big fan of RAID5.

CritterRacing wrote:
i didnt know it was so unreliable now i do. looking into raid 5 also. best of both worlds??

Feb 13, 2017 at 05:46 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Depressing day

Some valuable lessons here, if I can summarize;

1. Never rely on a RAID 0 drive as a back up, it is only for performance, most RAID arrays are not designated as pure back up systems.
2. If replacing drives for larger ones, do a clone and keep the old drives as is for a time, typically if a drive is going to fail it will do so earlier than later.
3. Always have a back up of your current state, that may be daily but by project is best.
4. Employ other external means for redundancy, either an off site drive or an external drive that can be archived.

Feb 13, 2017 at 07:10 PM
Jonathan
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Depressing day

I back up to 3 separate external drives and keep them current, so at most I'd only lose a few days worth. I hope you get it worked out. I can't imagine losing all photos. Good luck.

Feb 13, 2017 at 07:33 PM
milkod2001
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Depressing day

CritterRacing wrote:

Yes, Raid 5 is better than Raid 1 or 0. There is also Raid 6 and Raid 10. Here some read about it:

https://www.prepressure.com/library/technology/raid

Since you have ordered 6TB 1x drive already , i'd order another one, do your backups on both weekly and dump the most important data on Google Drive, Amazon Cloud services etc., nothing can beat Cloud for backups.

Feb 14, 2017 at 05:11 AM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Depressing day

Cloud backup would be great, but it's way too slow and it's still pricey.
If I have to upload a big shoot (above 100Gb) it takes days (I have a very fast 100Mbit glass connection). At the provider side they have a very small bandwidth per user.

So my backup strategy is as follows; all externals
1(small) SSD for ongoing projects (400W/800R Mbit)
1 6Tb HDD (200Mbit) for all images (I have almost 4Tb)
2 6Tb HDD for backups, one offsite
I backup my ongoing projects, when there're changes, on my iMac and Time Capsule
I use FoldersSynchronizer for backup

Feb 14, 2017 at 06:17 AM
CritterRacing
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Depressing day

thanks everyone for the info. i went ahead and changed the g technology 8tb unit for a owc thunderbay 2 4 bay 16tb unit. it will arrive setup for raid 5 but after research raid 10 sounds about right.

i have a 3tb lacie as my time machine bachup and ill be using my other 1tb for carbon copy backups. ill have the new drive tomorrow and hopefully time machine does the trick.

Feb 14, 2017 at 07:07 AM
kwalsh
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Depressing day

Everyone just remember no form of RAID is a backup in any sense of the word. RAID1 or RAID5 increase *availability* by allowing a volume to be accessible in the event of a drive failure. RAID0 or RAID5 increase read/write speed. No RAID scheme does anything to protect from file system corruption, accidental deletion/formatting, ransom ware or RAID/drive controller hardware failure corrupting the disks.

So have separate and hopefully automated backup to protect your data. And audit/test it before you need it.

http://www.taobackup.com

OP: sounds like you should be able to get your data back. Best of luck and thanks for reminding all of us to check our backups!

Feb 14, 2017 at 09:16 AM
JohanEickmeyer
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Depressing day

I have 3 sets of mirrored backups in three different locations, even one in a different city. Two in two different houses and one in a safe deposit box at a bank. I also have a set of optical disks that contain my 'need-to-have" photos. The rest on the HDDs are just hoarder material that I should probably delete anyway. I think most photographers hoard many photos that could use a trip to the recycle bin.

A coworker a couple of years ago made fun of me until he accidentally knocked over his only image drive that was sitting upright on his computer desk. Lost every image he had from the last 5 years or so, except for ones uploaded to flickr.

Feb 14, 2017 at 12:13 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Depressing day

I used to run a RAID 10 system in my old MacPro(4 internal drives) and an external eSATA drive x2. I had too many issues over time with RAID and decided to go a different route with external storage on my new 5k iMac. My OWC Thunderbay 4 is full of individual drives which I use Carbon Copy Cloner to do the back up on a daily schedule. After a shoot on upload I do an immediate clone so the files are now identical on my backup drives, no RAID config or matching drive issues. Lets face it, none of use are really working on a file that can't be backed up by software in a second or so and if a drive gets corrupted, it doesn't infect the other back up drive, I also monitor my drives and do maintenance with Disk Warrior on a regular basis. As newer larger drives become available it is super simple to drop one in the TB4 and run CCC to get it operational.

I also have a Newertech Voyager S3 toaster which I drop a drive into and run CCC then hand off the drive to an off site safe zone.

Feb 14, 2017 at 01:40 PM
kingmeow
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Depressing day

kwalsh wrote:
Everyone just remember no form of RAID is a backup in any sense of the word.

BINGO! It's RAID where the first letter stands for Redundant and not BAID, well, you can guess what the first letter would stand for if there was such a terminology.

Feb 14, 2017 at 03:44 PM
CritterRacing
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Depressing day

just thought id update my thread. im back up and running with all my file. time machine back up worked perfect.

i renamed the new 16tb drive same as the old drive and everything just worked. so happy lol.

how about a bird picture to celebrate.

Feb 16, 2017 at 06:29 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.