Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Auto Iso...create delayed focus with sports shooting?

iamapt

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Auto Iso...create delayed focus with sports shooting?

I recently began using auto iso for sports shooting, I have noticed a slow response to focus, using a single center point focal point, often the focus is in the background trailing the action by a slight bit. Does the processor give preference to exposure, then focus? DX1, 100-400 II, Al Servo

Feb 12, 2017 at 05:17 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Auto Iso...create delayed focus with sports shooting?

It is my understanding that there is a dedicated AF processor on the 1dx and 7d bodies.

Single point requires sustaining your aim. I suggest trying in more controlled conditions and reading up on the case Subsettings. Auto iso exposure measurement is no different than any of the other semiautomatic modes.

Feb 12, 2017 at 11:44 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Auto Iso...create delayed focus with sports shooting?

iamapt wrote:
I recently began using auto iso for sports shooting, I have noticed a slow response to focus, using a single center point focal point, often the focus is in the background trailing the action by a slight bit. Does the processor give preference to exposure, then focus? DX1, 100-400 II, Al Servo

No. Exposure is a trivial calculation and AF is on a separate CPU in the 1DX anyway.

EBH

Feb 12, 2017 at 11:59 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Auto Iso...create delayed focus with sports shooting?

What are your settings in Tracking sensitivity
What are your settings in Acceleration/Deceleration tracking??
pages 87-88 in manual

Feb 20, 2017 at 03:03 AM
Yaryman
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Auto Iso...create delayed focus with sports shooting?

iamapt wrote:
I recently began using auto iso for sports shooting, I have noticed a slow response to focus, using a single center point focal point, often the focus is in the background trailing the action by a slight bit.
Does the processor give preference to exposure, then focus? DX1, 100-400 II, Al Servo

Having used slide film to shoot sports in the olden days, just wondering what sport requires auto ISO?

Feb 20, 2017 at 01:59 PM
Keystone9800

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Auto Iso...create delayed focus with sports shooting?

"Having used slide film to shoot sports in the olden days, just wondering what sport requires auto ISO? "

I use auto ISO for HS soccer, played at night under uneven stadium lighting. Fixing a minimum shutter speed (1000) is critical for me if I want to freeze the action which leaves me at 2.8 on my 400mm, so the only variable left is ISO. The action can move quickly from the adequately lit middle of the field to a darker corner near the goal. I tried making that adjustment on the fly, but have gotten better overall results with auto ISO and an upper limit.

I agree with other posts suggesting you experiment with Tracking/Accel & Decel settings.

Feb 20, 2017 at 03:34 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Auto Iso...create delayed focus with sports shooting?

Yaryman.....I too use Auto ISO 100% of the time....I'm primarily a motorsports shooter and
in lighting that can change dramatically at any time....it's almost a life saver. As Keystone9800
stated....once you set a limit for it, and then set your primary (AV or TV) it allows me to
shoot without fear of not getting the shot properly exposed. I also use auto WB, as again
in post (I use LR) I can just grab the eyedropper and in a click get proper WB if the camera was
slightly off.
Even when I'm shooting wildlife, auto ISO is great as we all know that the moving subject can
all of a sudden be on the run and could get into shade or bright light and it really keeps the
keeper ratio higher.....you may wish to try it yourself.

Feb 20, 2017 at 03:43 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.