Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Foundry Night.. (steel casting Foundry, China)

DSC01
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Foundry Night.. (steel casting Foundry, China)

Over the last several years I have been working on a portfolio of images called Foundry Night..
I have been in the Steel castings business for many years and a good friend of mine owns the foundry in China where we make our parts. During my annual visits to the foundry they arrange a special visit for me in the middle of the night while they prepare the 20 ton furnace for melting the steel. These images are taken in front of the furnace (1500 degrees c) where the workers are injecting oxygen, checking temperature and pulling impurities. The light pouring out of the furnace crates some very engaging scenes. I am standing about 30 feet away where you can feel the heat of the furnace with the sounds of cranes moving and clanking overhead. I hope these images give you a sense of the drama that unfolds here every night. All comments are welcome and thanks for viewing regards, Dean
https://photos.smugmug.com/China-Japan-HK-2017/i-2jNqSJd/0/X2/_28A0729-Edit-X2.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/China-Japan-HK-2017/i-DHQ95pZ/0/X2/_28A0193-Edit-X2.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/China-Japan-HK-2017/i-5sVCVPL/0/X2/_28A0428-2-Edit-X2.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/China-Japan-HK-2017/i-h4pJ3nd/0/X2/_28A0463-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/China-Japan-HK-2017/i-GLf6Trj/0/X2/_28A0333-2-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

Feb 12, 2017 at 10:00 AM
Blufox
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Foundry Night.. (steel casting Foundry, China)

Wonderful series in very difficult photographic circumstances! Would not want to work or photograph in that environment for long.

Feb 12, 2017 at 10:05 AM
DSC01
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Foundry Night.. (steel casting Foundry, China)

Blufox,
Thanks for your comments. I agree the working conditions are pretty intense however the photography not so bad
Regards Dean

Feb 13, 2017 at 06:30 PM
Lightsearcher
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Foundry Night.. (steel casting Foundry, China)

Very nice shots and PP, love the Ilford look of it.

Marcelo

Feb 13, 2017 at 08:55 PM
DougVaughn
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Foundry Night.. (steel casting Foundry, China)

Amazing use of the light. 3 and 4 are my favorites. I'll try not to complain about my job.

Feb 13, 2017 at 09:07 PM
Nick3434
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Foundry Night.. (steel casting Foundry, China)

Really like this set, good job!

Feb 16, 2017 at 06:38 AM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Foundry Night.. (steel casting Foundry, China)

Tremendously sharp, detailed and, of course, dramatic.

Feb 17, 2017 at 07:39 PM
tonyespofoto
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Foundry Night.. (steel casting Foundry, China)

These are truly wonderful images, all the more so for being in B&W. I really like your strong contrast and dramatic lighting. Your work reminds me of that of another photographer from a much earlier era, Peter Sekaer. He worked for Reynolds Metals and I came upon his work in the 70s when I first became interested in photography, in a book called Graphic Graphlex Photography. I greatly admired his technical abilities. One of his shots involved the use of more than 75 flashbulbs (remember those) used to illuminate the operations of an entire enormous foundry. How times have changed!!!

Feb 18, 2017 at 08:15 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Foundry Night.. (steel casting Foundry, China)

Great series with 1 and 5 exceptional
I love the sharpness and lighting in these captures and especially the jagged spray captured as linear shards flying from the furnace

Scott

Feb 18, 2017 at 09:22 AM
DSC01
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Foundry Night.. (steel casting Foundry, China)

Marcelo, Doug, Nick, Rick & Scott
Thanks for your time, feedback and comments I greatly appreciate it.

Tony,
Thank you for your comments. I went on line and looked up Peter Sekaer -really beautiful images !. I will find what I can about that book GGP I'm extremely interested to see what he did. Truly appreciate the info.

regards,
Dean

Feb 19, 2017 at 08:39 AM
Dougo
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Foundry Night.. (steel casting Foundry, China)

An amazing series of images Dean, how peoples working lives can differ.

Cheers Ray

Feb 19, 2017 at 04:05 PM
tonyespofoto
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Foundry Night.. (steel casting Foundry, China)

Dean,
There are only 2 kr 3 images by Sekaer in the GGF book, all courtesy of Reynolds Metals. I assumed all these years that he was an industrial photographer in their employ. However, I looked further and he was an indepemdent Danish photographer working in the US. Among his other work, he shot for the FSA along with Russell Lee, Dorothea Lange, Walker Evans and other famous American photographers. The images shot in the foundry using multiple flashbulbs are quite unique as most of the FSA images are in a documentary style.
Tony

Feb 21, 2017 at 07:26 AM
DaleBerlin
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Foundry Night.. (steel casting Foundry, China)

These are great. Love the sparks in #1 and the "Another World" look of #4.

Feb 21, 2017 at 06:05 PM
howardF
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Foundry Night.. (steel casting Foundry, China)

Very nice series.

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:58 PM
Alfredo Mora
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Foundry Night.. (steel casting Foundry, China)

Fantastic series Dean! Well captured and all tell a story.

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:55 AM
Ubuhle
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Foundry Night.. (steel casting Foundry, China)

Beautiful set of images. You captured the visceral qualities of the foundry operation. I can almost feel the heat radiating from the furnace!

Feb 22, 2017 at 04:53 PM
Jim Dockery
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Foundry Night.. (steel casting Foundry, China)

Excellent set. I too was thinking how much I'd like to watch this process, but would hate to work there (breathing those fumes can't be good for you long term).

Feb 23, 2017 at 10:14 AM
mangaliron

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Foundry Night.. (steel casting Foundry, China)

Excellent image capture. It shows how people working steel casting business using a light, it a amazing scene.

Jun 12, 2017 at 04:42 AM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.