Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Sigma 50-100 focus issues

Dbltfarmer
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma 50-100 focus issues

Before basketball season I purchased a Sigma 50-100 for shooting basketball. The 1.8 aperture should give me adequate speed on my D500 to shoot in poorly lit gyms. It's been a decent lens but not as good as I hoped. At first I thought it was the F1.8 being unforgiving as far as good clear shots in a sports setting. Don't get me wrong, I have gotten great shots but my keeper rate is far below my Nikon 70-200 f2.8, Sigma 70-200, and Sigma 24-105 F4.

I have been shooting in short 3 to 5 shot bursts most of the time but sometimes longer. I shoot in Continuous Single, group and 25 point autofocus settings and try to keep the SS up above 1/750th most of the time. Again, I thought it was the F1.8 or me but as I kept shooting and trying different things it did not get better. Please keep in mind that I am shooting tighter with the 50-100 in most cases. However, I have gotten shots with the other lenses that are less than 20 ft away and nailed them. 50-100 not as well. Usually the first frame or two is good then as I follow action it looses focus. Sometimes its just the opposite. This is one of the reasons I thought the problem was me.

A couple of weekends ago I shot a Motorcycle Enduro. I try to get in a position where the riders are coming right at me and then make a turn to go around me where I can follow them and get good side shots. I shoot these in 3 to 5 shot bursts at 11 FPS. I wanted to try this lens in the enduro because of its IQ. It was a good sunny day and I wanted to get different shots with both good depth of field or shallow depth of field. I was shooting in auto ISO up to 400. As the riders started coming, I realized I was missing a lot of shots. The riders were coming at me but I just couldn't get focused on them in multiple continuous modes. I have my preview button set for continuous group and my function button set in single continuous and the back button auto in 25 point continuous. None of these worked.

I had the nikon 70-200 on my Nikon 7100 and it was nailing shots. I put up the 50-100 and put the 70-200 on the 500 and it worked much better missing very few shots.

Today I took it back to the dealer where I bought it. One guy told me to adjust it on the dock?? There is no way to adjust ianything but fine tune and manual focus settings on the dock when we tried it in the store. I then put it in low speed continuous shooting (5fps) and tried it on a busy street shooting cars coming towards me and it worked great.

Anyone have any thoughts of what the problem is?? Im wishing now that I would have purchased the Nikon 24-70 f 2.8 instead of the two sigmas which I purchased at different times for different reasons.

Feb 12, 2017 at 09:13 AM
shuttlemanfl

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma 50-100 focus issues

You are breaking my heart. I have been watching this lens for a couple of months. I love my 70-200 but I just felt like I was missing too much under the basket during Bball games. I wanted something I could a little bit of a distance but something more than a 70mm. But at the same time get wide enough for full body drive to the hoop. Add in the 1.8 and I thought I found a "dream lens". Now you make me doubt.

Feb 15, 2017 at 09:51 AM
PureMichigan
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma 50-100 focus issues

Nothing but good things to report from my peroective. Have used it extensively for basketball with a Nikon D500. I'm not sure the focus speed is all that it was cracked up to be but overalll focus accuracy has been just fine. Sorry to hear about your copy.

Feb 15, 2017 at 04:51 PM
shuttlemanfl

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma 50-100 focus issues

A glimmer of hope!!!

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:01 PM
Dbltfarmer
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma 50-100 focus issues

I have went back and studied the lens and practiced with it. One thing is for certain, this lens is not as forgiving as the Nikon 70-200 F2.8 or the Nikon 24-70 F2.8. You have to work with it a little more but the results can be great. What I found is that if you will lower your FPS to 6 to 8 FPS and working a little harder to get the framing down and the focus point on target you will get better images.

Second, shooting at F1.8 is tight and there is no forgiveness. I found that if I shot at F2.8 to F3 the camera was quicker and easier to focus. Also shooting at faster shutter speeds works better. This lens has no OS and makes it much easier to get camera shake at lower shutter speeds.

Again I worked with the focus points and used single point, group and 25 point all in continuous mode. Single point worked the best but I found that I have to be spot on with the focus point and it is certainly easier said than done. Group and 25 point were about the same.

I don't know what I will do next year. My thought is to trade it in for a Nikon 24-70 f2.8 but Ill wait and see.

Below are a few images from the last game with the 50-100 on a D500.

© Dbltfarmer 2016

© Dbltfarmer 2016

© Dbltfarmer 2016

Feb 16, 2017 at 05:25 PM
trailrun100s

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma 50-100 focus issues

Shooting wide open at 1.8 for action is asking for trouble, IMO. Even on my 80-200 2.8 on FF(D750), I shoot action at f4. No room for error wide open on faster moving targets.

May 16, 2017 at 03:26 PM
chrismer

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma 50-100 focus issues

Finally gave up on this lens and bought a 24-70. I also shot basketball with a d500 in dimly lit high school gyms and tried everything that Dbltfarmer did (increased fstop, used a variety of focus points, fine tuned with the dock). More often than not I missed a lot of shots because of the AF. Happy to let it go after a frustrating season with it. Could be operator error or this particular copy though; others seem to love this lens.

May 17, 2017 at 03:39 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.